At the Gates its overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodens Grav said:
What's so crappy about this post besides grammar? It's all true.
It contains no valid points against At the Gates. Yeah, their worst album influences crappy bands, yada yada yada. Does not matter. Take the music for what it is instead.

Why can't we all get along?

At the Gates have made great albums like With Fear I Kissed the Burning Darkness and The Red in the Sky is Ours. Terminal Spirit Disease was mediocre. Slaughter of the Souls is simplified, catchy and highly overrated. They happened to influence many crappy bands, just like many other great bands have. Not their fault, but it's their fault for releasing Slaughter of the Soul.

I gave WFIKTBD another listen, and wasn't exactly flattened by epic genius.

Some nice moments, I feel a lot of the better riffs are under-developed, and the rest of the time is filled with bog standard drumming and vocals that I find kind of grating.

There are some hints of some really good melodic ideas, but some of the songs seem so short that these chances are wasted, they're a bit choppy in structure and the production hardly makes it any more listenable.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone really. In conclusion, listen to Sea of Madness by Maiden instead, like I am.

Hmmm... I find SotS to be very inspiring. Its just so full of engery and life... but yet its theme is suicide as the result of society. I find the whole dynamics of the album to be very interesting.

As for their older work, I was ready to slam Red in the Sky is Ours as dry and lifeless, but hearing the violin outro to the second song has me convinced to give it another chance...

I think The Red in the Sky is Ours is a bit over-rated, the album really never clicked with me though I respect it's motivating factors. I don't think Slaughter of the Soul is over-rated because there's not as much people out there saying "It's the best thing ever!" out there as you would think, I've heard very few people say that.

They've influenced crappy bands, yes but using that same train of logic you could slam Maiden for influencing metal in whole and indirectly influencing a ton of crappy bands. I'm also willing to bet that some of these "At the Gates knock off bands" arn't really even all that familiar with At the Gates. Some hardcore band (or whatever the hell they call themselves) like Atreyu, Unearth or something like God Forbid may have never really even heard of At the Gates. I've yet to meet a hardcore fan or any person outside of the metal circle that has heard even heard of At the Gates or most metal bands for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.