bands like katatonia.. but with female singers?

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
i do not know of any really. since katatonia is so unique, they can sound like opeth or porcupine tree or something. except not like lacuna coil or nightwish or anything that is gay. does anyone know any? please share :rofl:

Lacua Coil and Nightwish are not gay...they're quite good

The Gathering? do they still exist after Anneke's departure...and if so are they any good now?
she was kind of the driving force behind the band since mandylion

Lacua Coil and Nightwish are not gay...they're quite good

LC weren't too bad till they just used Cristina's body as a selling point and become a 3rd rate Korn rip off which is just plain sad.

I use to think the sound on the first lp was so cool...the low growls in the background were a neato touch.

Haven't really heard from Nightwish since Century Child (I think that's what it is), but with all the politics and nonsense within the group I just could care less...they started getting way too cheesy anyways.

Have you heard Draconian? Death Doom with male & female vocals.

I love everything Lacuna Coil put out before Karmacode.

I like everything Nightwish has put out.

The Gathering still exist and are still good, although losing the greatest singer ever did bring them down a notch.

i use to like lacuna coil but their latest album made me troll their wikipedia for like a month lol... i listened to the gathering quite a bit a while ago, ill check them out a bit more then.. also ill check out draconian :rofl:. but still, need more ! :p

well.. have you tried The Provenance? There's been a thread about them some time before I guess. Although they aren't purely female-fronted... Also check out The One-Headed Man ... found them occasionally on MySpace, they have a couple of interesting songs, but the vocals, well, sometimes they remind of Guano Apes =DD

listening to the gathering again.. they ok, also did you know their current singer did vocals on arcturus' last album? about draconian, yes! i have heard them before, just didnt remember their name, they're pretty good though.

provenance - ok..
one-headed man - i can't seem to find anything on them?
divine grace - yay! awesome :rofl:
to-mera - ok
aghora - awesome, except dont like the thrash element
delain - too much cheese
epica - too much cheese! err and not looking for growling

I also suggest Draconian from a music perspective, but it is mostly male vocals. Are you looking for female vocals like Jonas' in a metal band, or just female fronted bands you might like if you also like Katatonia?

Since it sounds like you DONT want operatic vocals. Unfortunately female fronted metal is rare, and when it exists it either sucks because the girl can't sing, or it is epic/folk. Lacuna Coil is big because they are one of the only metal bands with a good chick vocalist who do mainstream metal. I've also discovered a lot of nu/core chick metal coming out that is autotuned or screamy. We can thank Kesha and BrokenCyde for that.

Paramore

I don't like this band's earlier material and I hate Twilight, but this song sounds dangerously close to Katatonia (riff at the end is also ISISesque), and she has a good voice.

Battle of Mice
Features Julie Xmas, members of Neurosis

Made Out of Babies

The vocal style here is NOT like Jonas, let me just warn you...

Octavia Sperati
I don't think her voice is that great personally

Madder Mortem

Kidney Thieves
Now defunct but the albums out there are good

Otep

Sirenia
Love this band

Other bands with female vocals that you might like ranging from depressive to metal *Since everyone's opinion of 'gay' is entirely personal, forgive me if some of these are too fem)
Lycia
Slowdive
Cranes
Stoa
Tristania
Eluveitie
Unsun

Last edited by a moderator:
hey cheers for all those suggestions EternityRites & gumtree. i guess i should clarify myself a bit more.. im not really fussy about vocal tone.. it can be operatic or soft like jonas' . when i said too much cheese before i meant its like too cleche with the keys and guitar riffs like nightwishy or something i think.

well.. i guess we all know paramore haha.. i never really bothered to listen to them though.. weird what fame can do to a band isn't it haha.. but that song is actually kinda cool. yeah i know of octavia sperati, she now sings for the gathering i think. the madder mortem song i didnt like at the start but then later on there were like a few really cool riffs. kidney thieves sound really cool. lycia is cool and so is lux occulta.

i don't really know what im looking for but i don't think ive found it yet.. although so many cool posts cheers heaps :p

also one video from a band i think is cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Paramore

I don't like this band's earlier material and I hate Twilight, but this song sounds dangerously close to Katatonia (riff at the end is also ISISesque), and she has a good voice.

This is one of those bands I'd for some reason formed a negative opinion over despite never having listened to them properly. After having heard that song I thought it was kinda cool. Might check out some more of their stuff.

This is one of those bands I'd for some reason formed a negative opinion over despite never having listened to them properly. After having heard that song I thought it was kinda cool. Might check out some more of their stuff.

this so much. people never give them a chance because its "that twilight song". decode as well as the latest album "brand new eyes" are just fantastic.