Bands that have sold out?

Well...who has the time to "search the plethora" of anything in life that they immediately find unappealing? I have never heard rap I enjoy, so I'm certainly not going to search for some that I do. You can dig it if you like...it sucks to me.:lol:.
I don't think the arguement is so much that everyone should like something from every form of music. I've never delved into country. I've heard some that i enjoy, a lot more that i don't like so it's not worth my time to fuck around with it. But to immediately say "i don't like it, it must lack talent" as Senior B is doing is not only egotistical, but flat out ignorant. You'd have to listen to every rap song by every rap artist before you could say "this genre is completely lacking in talent", but you only have to hear one part of one song that contains something incredible to destroy that argument.

So yeah dude, feel free to hate it. For the most part, i do too :lol: Sure, you can say it sucks, but to blatantly say there's no talent is just retarded (not directed at you schenkie).
All blanket statements stem from ignorance, apathy or shear laziness.
:lol: Love those statements haha.

Wow I agree with everyone here and your all disagreeing........ that is fuckin awesome.

rap sucks, I too feel its talentless and refuse disect the species to find the handful of illusive "good rap" music, which I still wont like... I start listening to that and next thing you know... my pants will be fallin off, Ill have the side hat goin on and Ill be doing those funny knee and hand motions.... lol

Frank Zappa rapped, Jimi rapped and no one could out do a Nugent intro rap at a live concert... thats as close to rap as this pasty white boys gonna go

But musically I am very open minded and diverse but I do draw just a few solid lines, coincidently as Im now thinking about it they all evolve around the vocal approach

I mean I like funk and funk is the rythmic root of rap but I hate rap
I like heavy hard drivin music but theres alot of metal I will not listen too
I even like simple base RnR type music but I totally despise punk

otherwise Im happy

oh... and I disagree with everyone on one thing.... I like "Bitches and Hoes"...... [laugh please]

majority=most people
majority likes=popular
popular=good to the majority
therefore...in simple terms, popular is considered good.
Ha! LOL

I have no idea where this arguement went over the course of the thread and honestly don't even know what to think of it now. All i can say is that popular doesn't mean it's great, and not popular doesn't mean it's bunk.

I have no idea where this arguement went over the course of the thread and honestly don't even know what to think of it now. All i can say is that popular doesn't mean it's great, and not popular doesn't mean it's bunk.

Meedley et. al: If my paragraph requires too much of your time to read, or subjects to too much condescending spite in light of the original tone you supplied, simply read Zach's quote above. Same story as my original post.

As for those too lazy to sift through a genre to find appealing music: well, your loss. I don't particulary care to make anyone like rap or blues or electonic music. I do look down on them a little for willful ignorance and sloth, they lose a bit of respect.

I was really only kidding.

Does any of this have to do with selling out?

There is no such thing as selling out. Unless your purpose of going into music professionally is to become a pauper, then "selling out" would compromise your integrity...otherwise, it's just good business and making a living.

You mean to tell me that after Leader of Men, Nickelback decided that it was in their creative blood to make Silver Side Up, and then repeat it ad nauseum, all the while believing that they were something special? Good business is not always good music.

You mean to tell me that after Leader of Men, Nickelback decided that it was in their creative blood to make Silver Side Up, and then repeat it ad nauseum, all the while believing that they were something special? Good business is not always good music.

No, but it fills the wallet. See, I don't think any Nickelback is good music, but it sells. They found a formula that gets them cars and houses...good business.

Do you go to your job to make no money?...would you turn down a raise saying, no thank you, I'm so satisfied that it would compromise my integrity to take more money.

I like select Nickleback songs.... its all in the groove of the riff.... rap has no riffs.... I dont like rap

Ok, lets agree on this. If Metallica started doing rap.... they might be a sellout

Do you go to your job to make no money?...would you turn down a raise saying, no thank you, I'm so satisfied that it would compromise my integrity to take more money.

This is the best arguement against my personal position i've seen. seriously, kudos and great point *claps*

rap has no riffs.... I dont like rap
you gotta fight for your right to party - beastie boys

Also, Body Count (Ice T's band). Obviously not pure rap...

yea, the former other half had that BB cassette when we started going out.... I still thought it was BS, like an identity crisis kind of thing. I mean was the rap version of Walk This Way supposed to be better ? Was I supposed to be impressed ? I suppose it gave me a laugh and thats entertainment. Whatever, I know my roots and there I will remain [reaches for that Hendrix CD again, so as I can hear some origional musically tasteful rap.... check Castles Made of Sand for any disbelievers]

As for those too lazy to sift through a genre to find appealing music: well, your loss. I don't particulary care to make anyone like rap or blues or electonic music. I do look down on them a little for willful ignorance and sloth, they lose a bit of respect.

Aww, you look down on me now :(

Seriously though, i have to say i'm not one who cares to go out in search of a lot of stuff. I don't look for new albums that aren't metal (hell, i've put a halt for now on finding new metal bands to listen to at the moment in favor of searching out classics). I don't go looking for rap or hip-hop or country or blues or jazz guys i like because largely the music is not appealing to me. I like rock and metal, that's my thing. I like the sound of guitars and drums and some mad bass lines. My point in the whole arguement is not that everyone is going to like every genre of music, but that to call it completely devoid of talent is silly to me.

No, but it fills the wallet. See, I don't think any Nickelback is good music, but it sells. They found a formula that gets them cars and houses...good business.

There's a difference there in that, some "jobs" are also artforms. And would you go to your job if you hated it? Some would. I like to think that artists wouldn't make art they abhor. If you're an artist, make art that's your passion. Job or not. So if it's all about the money, chances are high that the artist has no real vested interest in the material, and the result is a forgettable piece that in 30 years, won't be remembered by anyone. It didn't have anything to say.

Good business again, is not necessarily good music. "Selling out" is when you forego your artistic or intellectual interest in the medium and use your talents not to present what you want your message to be, but instead the message or lack thereof being paid for by your owner.

yea, the former other half had that BB cassette when we started going out.... I still thought it was BS, like an identity crisis kind of thing. I mean was the rap version of Walk This Way supposed to be better ? Was I supposed to be impressed ? I suppose it gave me a laugh and thats entertainment. Whatever, I know my roots and there I will remain [reaches for that Hendrix CD again, so as I can hear some origional musically tasteful rap.... check Castles Made of Sand for any disbelievers]

I was just sayin' there's riffs :p

Also, out of curiosity what are your thoughts on Faith No More? Mike Patton has been known to bust out a rap or two haha

only heard the radio song, or songs if there was more than one.... yea that had rap in fact.... "you want it all but you cant have it" ? Was Ok, but same deal, it was like some kind of identity crisis, I didnt see the point of mixing the two. Im way to old to have jumped on the rap bandwagon. Prolly if I was 17 I'd be a full fledged wigger.......... NOT! but I would have understood it better, just doesnt seem musical to me {as with other vocal forms}

slow to react : ok so you got me........ its not always about the riffs :cry: ....... you have no idea how bad it hurts to say that

only heard the radio song, or songs if there was more than one.... yea that had rap in fact.... "you want it all but you cant have it" ? Was Ok, but same deal, it was like some kind of identity crisis, I didnt see the point of mixing the two. Im way to old to have jumped on the rap bandwagon. Prolly if I was 17 I'd be a full fledged wigger.......... NOT! but I would have understood it better, just doesnt seem musical to me {as with other vocal forms}
Cool man. Just curious
slow to react : ok so you got me........ its not always about the riffs :cry: ....... you have no idea how bad it hurts to say that

:D

There's a difference there in that, some "jobs" are also artforms. And would you go to your job if you hated it? Some would. I like to think that artists wouldn't make art they abhor. If you're an artist, make art that's your passion. Job or not. So if it's all about the money, chances are high that the artist has no real vested interest in the material, and the result is a forgettable piece that in 30 years, won't be remembered by anyone. It didn't have anything to say.

Good business again, is not necessarily good music. "Selling out" is when you forego your artistic or intellectual interest in the medium and use your talents not to present what you want your message to be, but instead the message or lack thereof being paid for by your owner.

Nickelback is or ever was artistic and/or intellectual?