bands you just HATE hearing

You do realize that you just made yourself look retarded, right? How could their early material POSSIBLY be "done already"? It WASN'T! All of the bands that are out there now... THEIR stuff had been done already.

I'm the absolute last person you'd hear praise Ozzy's era of Sabbath, but to say that it was "done already" is just ridiculous.

Will, this is a message board; a heavy metal message board at that. It's obligatory to make yourself look retarded, as it's already been done by just about everyone here. That's why it's so fun. It's not the first time people are gonna throw shit at me for it and it's definitely not gonna be the last. Making yourself look retarded on forums is now a national pastime.

I never meant that their stuff was done already by someone else. No one did anything like that before Sabbath. What I'm saying is that it has been done already by Sabbath, and people are holding them up like that music was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It paved the way for all of us, yes, and I will always respect them, but that doesn't mean I have to like their songs. Music has moved on and gotten infinitely better, and I prefer more modern metal than Sabbath. I love classic rock, but classic metal is getting old and "dimebagged", hehe. It's like Nirvana; just because they made a huge impact on music doesn't mean I have to like their songs. I like a handful, but that's about it. No one else was doing things like that before Nirvana, aside from some Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone, but they didn't get huge until after Nirvana exploded. Actually MLB died before that.

Again, much respect to Sabbath IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT IT WAS, being the godfathers of metal and all that. We wouldn't be here today without them. But just because everyone is crazy for them doesn't mean I have to be. It doesn't make me stupid, it doesn't make me retarded, it's just a matter of taste. You all can flame me for it and blather on about how little I know about music and how it's impossible for a metalhead to NOT like Sabbath, but that's just how I feel.

All this metal posturing is more retarded than that, in any case. These metal "cliques" are suppressing good ideas and opinions about heavy music.

im not crazy for them...probable if i lived in their era i wouldnt even be listening to metal, just because there wasnt any good metal around yet

still respect em though but thats because there are many good bands inspired by them

I have no problem with you disliking them DW, it was very evident. But when you start saying. "stop liking these bands just for the sake of their status. they're not good at all."

that's an issue. those are objective attacks. and then you, and idiots that try to defend you or attack me, think you're hiding behind a veil of subjectivity. and, like i said and pointed out, motorhead isn't rehashing the same riff over and over.

also, i get very unimpressed with people that discriminate over production value, like you're clearly doing. it goes to show these people just don't appreciate music at all.

Will, this is a message board; a heavy metal message board at that. It's obligatory to make yourself look retarded, as it's already been done by just about everyone here. That's why it's so fun. It's not the first time people are gonna throw shit at me for it and it's definitely not gonna be the last. Making yourself look retarded on forums is now a national pastime.

I never meant that their stuff was done already by someone else. No one did anything like that before Sabbath. What I'm saying is that it has been done already by Sabbath, and people are holding them up like that music was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It paved the way for all of us, yes, and I will always respect them, but that doesn't mean I have to like their songs. Music has moved on and gotten infinitely better, and I prefer more modern metal than Sabbath. I love classic rock, but classic metal is getting old and "dimebagged", hehe. It's like Nirvana; just because they made a huge impact on music doesn't mean I have to like their songs. I like a handful, but that's about it. No one else was doing things like that before Nirvana, aside from some Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone, but they didn't get huge until after Nirvana exploded. Actually MLB died before that.

Again, much respect to Sabbath IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT IT WAS, being the godfathers of metal and all that. We wouldn't be here today without them. But just because everyone is crazy for them doesn't mean I have to be. It doesn't make me stupid, it doesn't make me retarded, it's just a matter of taste. You all can flame me for it and blather on about how little I know about music and how it's impossible for a metalhead to NOT like Sabbath, but that's just how I feel.

All this metal posturing is more retarded than that, in any case. These metal "cliques" are suppressing good ideas and opinions about heavy music.

I didn't even read that post. I said you were retarded for saying that what Sabbath did was already done, when it wasn't. That is all.

I never said Sabbath sucked, I just said they're boring.

I just said I loved Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as well, so my opinion has nothing to do with production value.

I'm not attacking anyone who likes Black Sabbath...as far as I can tell, I'm in the extreme minority, especially with my friends. Everyone I know loves Black Sabbath; I just find them boring and dated, that's all.

I would never tell anyone to stop liking a band they like. Never. Never, ever. I'll voice my difference in opinion, but I'll never tell anyone "stop liking these bands just for the sake of their status", as you claimed I've said. I will, however, point out that many people DO like bands for the sake of their status, but that's their problem, not mine. If they wanna name-drop bands here and there, that's fine. I just find it a little hard to follow that sheep mentality.

I'm not saying that anyone here shares in said sheep mentality; if you love Sabbath, then more power to you! What's wrong with deriving enjoyment from music? Nothing, and everything is right with it. However, I DO have a problem with people putting words into my mouth that I never said or intended. You all can laugh and point at me because I don't like Sabbath, I don't care. I never attacked you people personally. If I think Black Sabbath is boring and outdated, then that's what I think and nothing will change my mind. That doesn't mean that I think you people are boring and outdated by proxy because you like Sabbath. What is this, the Opeth forum?

Get real, people.

I was listening to DNB the other day and forgot how awesome that album is. IMO, it's the most complete and each song flows nicely into the next, as a concept album should.

DO IT AGAIN!!!!!

I never said Sabbath sucked, I just said they're boring.

See a pattern here? Yes, thrash was pretty much directly influenced by Motorhead, so we should always be thankful. Heavy metal was practically invented by Black Sabbath, so we should always be thankful. But being thankful and acknowledging that their music these days is not only relevant, but also, um, GOOD, are two completely different things.

Just because Elvis invented rock 'n roll doesn't mean I have to like Elvis. Nor does it mean that if he were still alive today, would he be doing anything relevant or decent. Just because Ozzy and Lemmy outlived everyone else doesn't mean what they're doing is good stuff. I know it's a matter of opinion, but you gotta be objective about this shit.

Clearly you said a little more than they're "just boring". You know, if you didn't spew every goddamn thing out we wouldn't call you on your idiocy.

I just said I loved Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as well, so my opinion has nothing to do with production value.

You didn't say you loved them, you said you'd prefer them to Motorhead and Sabbath. I'd prefer getting shit on my foot to being run over by a car. Doesn't mean I'm a fecalphiliac. Be concise.

I still don't see your point with my quote about not saying Sabbath sucked. WHERE DOES IT SAY I SAID THEY SUCKED? I said "being thankful and acknowledging that their music these days is not only relevant, but also, um, GOOD, are two completely different things." Nowhere did I say they suck. I think they're boring, i.e., not good. They don't suck, they just aren't that good, IN MY OPINION. What's so difficult to comprehend here? This isn't rocket science. You do realize that just because someone doesn't think a band is very good doesn't automatically mean they suck ass, don't you? AGAIN, FOR THE THIRD TIME, I don't think BS sucks...they're just boring, AGAIN, FOR THE THIRD TIME, in my not-so-humble opinion.

And even if I DID think they sucked, SO FUCKING WHAT? Would it make it easier to swallow if I explained myself one-dimensionally like so many others, so you could compartmentalize and keep everything in neat little packages? This is fucking semantics. Just write me down as thinking Sabbath sucks, if that's easier for you to take.

I'll make this one clear and in mono syllables, too. Led Zep. Pink Floyd. I like both a lot. More than Sab. I think they are more good than Sab.

Is that clear and concise enough, dude? Come on, man, you disappoint me. You're one of the most intuitive people here.

I think I misinterpreted your point, with recognizing their music THESE days (as in their current output), as opposed to recognizing it these days (their old output, these days).

There's a strong difference because the latter is a big insult on their body of (quality) work.

I think I misinterpreted your point, with recognizing their music THESE days (as in their current output), as opposed to recognizing it these days (their old output, these days).

There's a strong difference because the latter is a big insult on their body of (quality) work.

Bah, it doesn't matter dude. You still crack me up and are still cool and one of the wittiest here.

Just ignore my prickishness today. I'm PMSing. I sincerely apologize for my sarcasm and borderline rudeness. Seriously. I can't stand rude people and yet my own hypocrisy has gotten the better of me today.