Bands you listened to before you listened to metal

TylerTheNuke said:
well, way back when, I listened to pure shit like backstreet boys ect.

:lol:

I used to hate BSB cause I liked Hanson and thought they were so much better. Of course I was Eight at the time and didn't understand what good music actually was, but yeah. Just a little more trivia.

Rap, a whole lot of rap. Ultramagnetic MCs, B-Boys, Public Enemy, THe Wu Tang Clan and their solo stuff, Africa Bambaata, Del, etc.
I still listen to rap pretty heavily, not as much as metal but still a lot, and I've been spinning Viktor Vaughn stuff pretty regularily like Madvillany and Dangerdoom.

Thoth-Amon said:
Just a question... why can't you continue to listen to bands that you listened to before getting into metal? Does being a fan of metal preclude you from liking other types of music?
I don't see any reason it should.

Some of these may be considered metal by some of the members here, but:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Golden Earring, the Beatles, the Who, the Kinks, Queen, Boston, Foghat, KISS, Aerosmith, Rush, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, the Animals, Deep Purple, Kansas, Styx, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Montrose, Sammy Hagar, Ted Nugent, the Knack, the Cars, AC/DC, UFO, Rainbow, Pat Travers, early David Bowie, Bad Company, Foreigner, Mason Prophet, the Doors, Head East, Bruce Springsteen, Manfred Mann, Yes, Allman Brothers, the James Gang, War, J. Geils Band, Blues Brothers, George Thurgood, Dr. John, T-Rex, the Eagles, Electric Light Orchestra, Sweet, Uriah Heep, Black Oak Arkansas, Ramjam, Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon, Peter Frampton, 10 Years After, Journey, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Heart, Badfinger, Grand Funk Railroad, Three Dog Night, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, the Guess Who, the Grateful Dead, the Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Neil Young, the Pretenders, the Police, Billy Joel, the Clash, the Ramones, Jimi Hendrix, Arlo Guthrie....

Perpetual Catatonia said:
:lol:

I used to hate BSB cause I liked Hanson and thought they were so much better. Of course I was Eight at the time and didn't understand what good music actually was, but yeah. Just a little more trivia.

I had this thing where I absolutly despised n'sync. I thought that they were ripping off the backstreet boys to make money. heh, how ignorant I was.

ive always listened to a wide variety of music, the exceptions being rap and country; cant stand most of that stuff

Jowood said:
Rap, a whole lot of rap. Ultramagnetic MCs, B-Boys, Public Enemy, THe Wu Tang Clan and their solo stuff, Africa Bambaata, Del, etc.
I still listen to rap pretty heavily, not as much as metal but still a lot, and I've been spinning Viktor Vaughn stuff pretty regularily like Madvillany and Dangerdoom.

At least you listen to quality rap. Have you ever listened to anything by Busdriver?

Just the standard blues based rock on the radio, Sabbath, Zepplin and so on. I hate that sort of stuff now though, oddly enough.

Animal Collective
Black Sabbath
The Beatles
Joy Division
System of a Down
Nine Inch Nails
Mclusky
The Smiths
Bjork
Elliot Smith
Tool
Tortoise
Swans and the list goes on..... I still listen to most of those bands.

in this order:

Generic pop bands/classical/stuff like weird al yankovich

All the gangsta rappers

Led zeppelin, losta clapton, blacksabbath, tenacious D, mostly a mix of all the big classic rock acts.

Iron maiden brave new world started my metal phase, now im hooked.

N/A. I was raised on metal. Maybe Sesame Street and Barney? Not trying to say that all I ever listened to was metal, I liked other types of music during my younger days, and still do, but technically I listened to nothing before metal.

i listened and still listen to a wide variety of music, so i guess for me it would be more applicable to say "what metal do you listen to inside of other varieties of music?'

BurningWitch said:
Black Sabbath

Heads up - Black Sabbath are metal. They invented it FFS.

Before I listened to metal I was into Oz rock like AC/DC, The Angels and Midnight Oil. Before that I was into hip hop when it first came out. But my first musical love was without a doubt The Beatles. I still love them dearly. The White Album is probably my fave album of all time.

green day
Avenged Sevenfold
Coheed & Cambria
Hawthorne Heights
Nirvana
Incubus
System Of A Down
Unearth
As I Lay Dying
Atreyu
and so on...plz shoot me now. i cant believe i listened to that:erk: