Best In Flames album?

ah you didnt like nightrage...

well, i wouldnt get the second album if you dont dig the first...

dont you enjoy the crushing, ass kicking riff in 'glow of the setting sun' when it kicks in after the first 30 seconds??

schenkadere said:
I think I might dig In Flames but I'm torn between picking up The Jester Race, Colony or Whoracle...any suggestions?...or should I not waste my time and money?

Jester Race, Whoracle, and Colony are all very formidable albums. They're quintessential Gothenberg Swedish metal, very melodic, very heavy. Jester Race is the most highly acclaimed of the three, while I personally think Whoracle is their master work. The later In Flames albums have a sort of Depeche-mode feeling to them, and while interesting, not as good as those three you mentioned by a longshot. Whether you like them or not, they were defining albums of 1990s Scandinavian heavy metal, along with Dark Tranquility (whose sound basically stopped evolving after Haven, but they still release respectable albums).

Obviously there are other bands who were just as influential, but In Flames reached a level of popularity that most others did not. If you're going to buy any 3 In Flames albums, those would be it. I'd rate them Whoracle > Jester Race > Colony (Colony's best songs are catchier than Jester Race's, but there are a couple of weak songs on Colony, while Jester Race is solid).

Devy_Metal said:
ah you didnt like nightrage...

well, i wouldnt get the second album if you dont dig the first...

dont you enjoy the crushing, ass kicking riff in 'glow of the setting sun' when it kicks in after the first 30 seconds??

Actually, I found the riffs to be mediocre at best, I don't dig the singer and the Evergrey guy didn't fit in at all. The guitar solos where good, but there was not enough focus there. That's just my humble opinion. I don't think I'd like Descent Into Chaos...I'm going to pass. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm still playing it to try to warm up to it.

I forgot, my all time FAVORITE Swedish Melo-Death album: Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery. That fucking album so totally owned, in riffage, good vocals. I think there are some gay cheesy chick vocals in there somewhere, but who knows...my cd is so scratched up I cant listen to it anymore :/ And I cant bring myself to buy a new one since I bought that fucker back in '95.

Here are some other bands ill recommend ya..oh yeah..maybe some viking metal would help ya..heavy..and tinged with folky melodies, clean/harsh vocals.

Moonsorrow
Amon Amarth
Sacrilige
Edge of Sanity
Sorrow Of Tranquillity
Sigh
Primordial
Manegarm
Lord Belial
Hypocrisy
Gojira

That is a wide spectrum of bands, can help ya lean more in one direction or whatnot. I find myself listening to like all the viking metal I can one day, then brutal death the next, blasphemic black the next, so on so forth etc. I prefer a combo of Thrash..and....Therion..when I drive..Cuz therion is a nice calm to the storm of head banging for 9 hours.

Evil Dead said:
I forgot, my all time FAVORITE Swedish Melo-Death album: Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery. That fucking album so totally owned, in riffage, good vocals. I think there are some gay cheesy chick vocals in there somewhere, but who knows...my cd is so scratched up I cant listen to it anymore :/ And I cant bring myself to buy a new one since I bought that fucker back in '95.

Here are some other bands ill recommend ya..oh yeah..maybe some viking metal would help ya..heavy..and tinged with folky melodies, clean/harsh vocals.

Moonsorrow
Amon Amarth
Sacrilige
Edge of Sanity
Sorrow Of Tranquillity
Sigh
Primordial
Manegarm
Lord Belial
Hypocrisy
Gojira

That is a wide spectrum of bands, can help ya lean more in one direction or whatnot. I find myself listening to like all the viking metal I can one day, then brutal death the next, blasphemic black the next, so on so forth etc. I prefer a combo of Thrash..and....Therion..when I drive..Cuz therion is a nice calm to the storm of head banging for 9 hours.

You mean Celtic Frost?

gaschamber said:
definitely get edge of sanity and hypocrisy....also get:

bloodbath
vital remains (dawn of the apocalypse/ and dechristianized)
the first 2 soilworks
the first 2 vomitory albums
decapitated
ANY AND ALL DISMEMBER (you would love "massive killing capacity")

You read my mind, must be the PA connection hahaha. Decapitated is fucking GREAT!

gaschamber said:
did you get any IMPALED yet?

their solos stick in your head. plus all the other parts of the songs.

Schenk -

get Impaled - Mondo Medicale - their other stuff is all great, but this album is the only one where the production isn't utter shit.

C.