Univers Zero - Clivages
Fatso Jetson - The Archaic Volumes
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Kayo Dot - Coyote
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
Areknames - ...In Case Of Loss
Menomena - Mines
Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises

Oh good, now we're back into the same tired categorical music enjoyment bullshit because specific people can't handle something outside of their immediate fucking comfort zone. If you can't put something in a box and label it specifically what You Are Supposed To Like it is titled "gay" or "hipster" or "pinkage" or whatever homo label (hey look, another one!) is fashionable for the moment.

Morons.

Last two posts = epic win.

Also it's easy to label music as hipster music. What do hipsters listen to/pimp out/attend shows at/annoy the fuck out of me with = hipster music. It's ok to like it of course, but it really is hipster music. In fact, of all the "tired categorical music enjoyment bullshit" labels, that one is pretty solid. It's not even abstract...hipster music is what hipsters like, because other hipsters like it, and thus a vicious circle.

(I don't know about the other labels, or even if the music herein' qualifies as 'hipster music', just saying that as a label it's pretty solid.)

Having broad definitions for different kinds of music is convenient, that's all. There is a difference between the Beatles and Antaeus, and both have music that is related in different ways, so to describe Antaeus and VON with one word while using another for the Beatles and the Monkees isn't that stupid imonsvho. But that's off topic!

Personally, I like blood fire and death in most of my music and I rarely have time/energy to find new shit even within my personal 'comfort zone' so I just stay away from stuff that I most likely won't appreciate (no matter what the reason, could be lack of proper time given to it or that I'm heterosexual and the music is not) and try to go for the more or less sure shots atm. Will most likely go a bit wider in the future, but hey, I have barely even heard the latest few Darkthrone albums so why fucking bother with some druggie US college hipster flower power bullshit?

The only non-metal album of 2010 that I'm familiar with is Against Nature - Drawing Arrows. It's more like progressive rock from the Revelation boys. I enjoy this one, though it's not my favorite.

The only reason I started this thread is so I didn't have to wade through non-metal! I basically have no desire to go out of my way to find new metal albums, which is why I started that thread in the first place. So you fools can narrow down my search. :)

Tully: I sort of see what you're saying (I know a shitload of hipsters) and, yes, there are plenty of trend-hoppers. But I've noticed--and this may be true only in hipster Meccas like SF--that there are different varieties of hipster. There's the one that "only listens to electronica," or the one who listens to no-name blog music on Hype Machine, the ones who listen to Lil Wayne, the ones who don't listen to Lil Wayne, dance hipsters, dubstep hipsters, jazz hipsters, etc. In other words, they tend to listen to a wide variety of genres (it's part of being a hipster) and so it's hard to define what exactly their music IS. It's definitely not "college rock" anymore, or at least how I used to perceive it before I knew what I was talking about. It sucks that there's so much great music out there that's associated with this subculture. Well, it doesn't really suck. Because I don't really care!

Anyway....

GORILLAZ - Plastic Beach
DUM DUM GIRLS - I Will Be
SLEIGH BELLS - Treats
LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - This Is Happening
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - ODDSAC
WAVVES - King Of The Beach

THAT, my friends, is hipster music. :)

Also, to Doomcifer: finally found my CD-R of the new BSS. And you're right. It's complete tits. Only listened once, but it's definitely a top 10 contender. Still trying to wrap my head around the new Kayo Dot. Track 4 is one of the best things they've ever done.

Univers Zero - Clivages
Fatso Jetson - The Archaic Volumes
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Kayo Dot - Coyote
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
Areknames - ...In Case Of Loss
Menomena - Mines
Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises

Ooo I did not realize Sun Kil Moon had a new one. Will have to check that out.

I haven't bought a metal album in a long time, so this thread suits me.

A couple not mentioned yet:

Arcade Fire - Suburbs
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

The new Arcade Fire I wasn't a big fan of at first, but I came around after a few listens. Hell, it IS the Arcade Fire!

Tame Impala is the best new thing to come out of Australia for a while. This album is just filled with dreamscape and beckons nostalgic feelings of psychadelia.

I have also been enjoying everything I've been hearing from Sleigh Bells; the album was featured on Triple J a while back, but I've yet to get it.

Oh, and This is Happening is fucking killer and probably my AOTY thus far. The show was intense.

The guy in Sleigh Bells used to be the guitarist for Poison The Well, hahahahaahahahhaahha. I remember seeing their shirts in Hot Topic back ten years ago.................

Not that I ever went into a Hot Topic.

Yes, the Tame Impala is indeed great. I need to listen to it more.