Black Metal.

Yeah no shit metal drummers are supposed to play blast beats... I mentioned it because they are ungodly fast, like John Longstreth fast, but AREN'T gravity blasts, which makes use of the rim of the snare drum; you like, kind of bounce it off of it, and so all you do is make this up and down motion against it, and it makes it hit when you pull up, so you can literally blast twice as fast.

didn't know Norsecore was a genre either... sounds interesting, like all this folk metal and forest-fairycore I hear about all the time.

Damn theres a showing in Grand Rapids not far from me, is that the one you went to Evil? I might try making it to a showing this week sometime, its just such a pain in the ass to take the bus from Allendale into Grand Rapids, cause after that I have to walk from the Grand Rapids campus to wherever I want to go in the city. And I have no money.

Damn theres a showing in Grand Rapids not far from me, is that the one you went to Evil? I might try making it to a showing this week sometime, its just such a pain in the ass to take the bus from Allendale into Grand Rapids, cause after that I have to walk from the Grand Rapids campus to wherever I want to go in the city. And I have no money.

Ya, that is where I went. Pretty cool little place. Found a used vinyl shop wondering around town too! Have you been to Vertigo Records? Awesome music shop. Lots of cool stuff.

There was an AV Club interview with the filmmakers, if you guys are interested. That's a good site anyway, with relatively smart forum-goers, despite their format being less than the best. I look forward to seeing this, but black metal fans overwhelmingly seem to love living in the past, and it's a bit sad. I would really like to see a more committed effort here to bring the unknown and new things to people's attention.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/until-the-light-takes-us-directors-aaron-aites-and,35962/

The forums are generally not bad there because people mostly don't feel compelled to talk about things they don't know about.

There was an AV Club interview with the filmmakers, if you guys are interested. That's a good site anyway, with relatively smart forum-goers, despite their format being less than the best. I look forward to seeing this, but black metal fans overwhelmingly seem to love living in the past, and it's a bit sad. I would really like to see a more committed effort here to bring the unknown and new things to people's attention.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/until-the-light-takes-us-directors-aaron-aites-and,35962/

The forums are generally not bad there because people mostly don't feel compelled to talk about things they don't know about.

Reading that interview will probably give people a better idea of what the movie is about as well. It appears a if I was dead on with the Fenriz observations.

Ya, that is where I went. Pretty cool little place. Found a used vinyl shop wondering around town too! Have you been to Vertigo Records? Awesome music shop. Lots of cool stuff.
Yep I walked there once after one of my engineering classes at Grand Valley's grand rapids campus, they have a lot of shit its awesome. There was a lot of scary homeless people on the walk down division street but it was worth the walk. Theres another record shop like a block or two north of there as well that I stopped at but they had mostly older stuff that I wasnt looking to buy at the time. A professor from my community college last year goes to Vertigo like every week.

The GRCC campus? Well, walk south from there and you'll be to pretty much any place worth going in Grand Rapids within minutes. Good thing, too, with it snowing like it is here...

And yeah, I used to shop at Vertigo lots, though not much lately. I'm sure if I stopped in the owner (Herm) would recognize me, though. Cool guy, always used to wear long-sleeved Neurosis t-shirts and stuff -- and he always has this really dour scowl on his face even when he's being extremely friendly. I still have a Vertigo t-shirt he gave me like six years ago, actually.

Not sure if he works there anymore, but years ago a guy who writes for the GR Press (doing fluffy restaurant reviews and stuff) had a part-time job there. He was a big black metal fan.

Vertigo is definitely one of the few places that keeps GR from being a total non-place.

Funny you mention the homeless people thing -- it's gotten so much worse here in the last couple of years.

I hadn't realized there were so many of us in Michigan, and all in or near GR...

I was talking about Grand Valley's campus across the river. And I didnt know there were so many of us from michigan either. Whereabouts are you Anticitizen?

Ah, okay. The GVSU campus downtown isn't too far from things either.

I'm in northeast GR, just out of range of where the bus routes go -- about a 25 minute walk from the nearest stop (at the Knapp's Corner Meijer along the E. Beltline). And I don't have a car since I've been living in other cities for years (San Francisco and Portland), where public transportation is much more convenient... Missing that right now, but I'm back here to go to school while the job market is shit and to be here for my family while my brother is over in Afghanistan.

I'm thinking about going to the 5 oclock showing tomorow since ill already be at the GR campus to work on an engineering project. I need to find out how late the buses on sunday run though, theres no way im walking like 15 miles back to Allendale. In the snow.

So I feel like discussing Rotting Christ. I have A Dead Poem, and I had a great time falling asleep to it earlier. I was checking out their last.fm page, and I did not realize that they have such an extensive discography. What are their other releases like?

So I feel like discussing Rotting Christ. I have A Dead Poem, and I had a great time falling asleep to it earlier. I was checking out their last.fm page, and I did not realize that they have such an extensive discography. What are their other releases like?

If you want to check out their older stuff I highly recommend Non Serviam. In my opinion it's the best of their older style. Their newer stuff seems to be an attempt to combine their gothic influences with their more aggressive older style. Their later albums are pretty hit or miss. I like the last one (Theogonia) because it seems that they're trying to branch out a bit and add in some Greek ethnic influence but it's certainly far from being a perfect album. It can be a little mainstream-y for my tastes. Definitely check out Non Serviam though.

Chaos Moon - Langour Into Echoes, Beyond is a pretty good album. The long track in the middle is meh and too keyboardy, but this is a solid effort. The good parts are very good, which makes some of the middling parts a little disappointing. Potentially a better band, if the production values got a bit better and composition tighter. Worth hearing, for sure.