Black Metal.

Oh, so do I. I meant the other song from the new album.

The song I posted above and the other on youtube called "One of Lost" are both pretty fucking epic. But the song titled "The Weeper's Way" is just boring.

I listened to Paracletus again, and I've decided that upon further listen I really do like it, my initial feelings of disappointment have subsided. I think it's much better than Fas. I think it sits somewhere in between the previous two albums in terms of sound.

So here's where I sit with it:

I found Paracletus closer to Kenose than Fas, but imo, it drags, as did Fas. There is actually too much going on again, but it isn't as quite dense as the previous album (thankfully). It gets progressive sometimes, even rock-like, which I never thought I would say in relation to DsO.

I don't find the album particularly dark. The production is too organic and warm, especially on Mikko's vocals. The production doesn't sound bad, it just strips away the extremity. I don't feel uncomfortable or unsettled listening to it, which is something I liked up to Kenose: feeling unable to settle in because it was so extreme and so dark, so blasphemous.

Not a bad album, not by any means, but it is far from stellar. DsO have softened: they still sound great, but they have been far greater.

So here's where I sit with it:

I found Paracletus closer to Kenose than Fas, but imo, it drags, as did Fas. There is actually too much going on again, but it isn't as quite dense as the previous album (thankfully). It gets progressive sometimes, even rock-like, which I never thought I would say in relation to DsO.

I don't find the album particularly dark. The production is too organic and warm, especially on Mikko's vocals. The production doesn't sound bad, it just strips away the extremity. I don't feel uncomfortable or unsettled listening to it, which is something I liked up to Kenose: feeling unable to settle in because it was so extreme and so dark, so blasphemous.

Not a bad album, not by any means, but it is far from stellar. DsO have softened: they still sound great, but they have been far greater.

It's actually been quite a while since I last listened to Kénôse but I'll have to give that one another spin.

I completely agree with you about the production, it is very "warm" and softens up the sound and especially mood of the album. But it's the melancholic side of this album I find that I've grown fond of. The chaotic parts on the album don't really appeal to me much, except for that they serve a purpose in contrast to the softer stuff. The normally darker and colder side of Deathspell Omega certainly isn't threatening on this album.

I've still got to listen to this album some more before I can fully say how I feel about it but it has gotten better with each listen. And maybe it's a bit odd to say but I think the album definitely sets up a very nice mood!

I think if you take Paracletus as either a standalone album or a unique member of a trilogy of contrasting albums, instead of setting an expectation for Fas II, SMRC II, or even a return to the Inquisitors of Satan sound, it's phenomenal. I think it's natural for DsO to contantly be trying new things. So there was more involvement on the part of the bass guitar, some rock-reminiscent rhythms, a lot more somber sounding parts, and the wall of sound parts were more sparse. Every member of the band has a time to shine on this album, and the production makes them sound more cohesive, which would be terrible if it were grindy like Fas, but works well for what they've presented this time around.

I was as pleased with Paracletus as I was with Memoria Vetusta II. It gives DsO some dimension as songwriters.

Do you actually have a Blink 182 album in your little sig-pic there?

Yes, yes I do. It's a signature that changes based on my weekly listening habits according to last.fm. My best friend is a woman, who is obsessed with Blink 182, so I listen to them sometimes.

Anyone else enjoy the new Krieg?