Black Metal.

Honestly if I was to be in a black metal band I'd just wear normal clothes. Work boots, shorts, and a grey T.

I just saw that VON is making music again.

Listen to some real high quality black metal instead of these new wanna be bands.

You can't dislike this song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Metal is among my least favorite sub genres, I do think that it has become too popular and is over rated. But thats just me, I just graduated high school. The few metalheads that I have met would always go on and on about Crade of Filth and I would want to facepalm. I have come to appreciate even glam metal like Motley Crue and Ratt more than Black Metal, maybe someday I will be able to get into it, but for now I like my old school death metal much more.

CoF is the worst example possible of black metal. They didn't just "sell out" like Dimmu, they were never really black metal to begin with, they were always a 100% artificial watered-down mixture of a few metal genres. While CoF is mainstream as far as extreme metal goes, and as is Dimmu, black metal in general is anything but, while it is highly respected among metal fans (at least the ones "metal" enough to be on a metal forum like this one), to the point where death metal & black metal pretty much define the face of metal for extreme metal fans for almost the past 20 years. Even this thread has more than twice as many posts as the death metal one. And yet despite that popularity the average "mainstream" heavy rock fan has not the slightest clue who Emperor or Darkthrone is

You can do what you like, but wearing work boots with a pair of shorts is totally fucking gay, whether you're in a black metal band or whatever.
Not a good look.

:lol: I've had my mind on creating a blackened-of-some-sort metal band where the lyrical themes revolve around a poor family where the husband comes home from work and beats the shit out of his wife and rapes his daughter. Things that are actually evil instead of about nature, made up rituals,playing with swords in the woods, etc.

The way I see black metal band apparel is sneakers or normal shoes are trendy and combat boots/large boots have been done before.
Looking like you just came out of holister is gay, the over the top corpse paint/blood thing has been done to death as well as boots and bdu's. IMO unless you're in an established band with a good following wearing band shirts is kinda fanboy-ish.

I guess Pavillon Rouge came out with a new album.

Really enjoying what I hear.

http://www.reverbnation.com/pavillonrouge

Obsequiae and Lake of Blood were both pleasant surprises.

New Lunar Aurora is ONE HELL OF A FANTASTIC SURPRISE!

And nice to listen to some old Obtained Enslavement once again, heh.

Lately – among many others - I've been enjoying Aosoth - III, Solefald - Norrøn Livskunst, Fäulnis – Cholerik, Urfaust - Einsiedler and I’m actually starting to like Helrunar’s Sol more and more. Some local Danish band called Myrd has surprised me as well. Check it out. Quite nice and somewhat original:

Watching Gehennah and Nifelheim live this summer was a blast. And Glorior Belli were surprisingly good as well.

Btw, does anyone know how to obtain Nagelfar's Ragnarök EP? I would gladly pay up but I'm also willing to compromise my principles of not downloading anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a second, danes can't create decent metal... What's the catch?:mad:

Anyway, going away on a week of vacation I just boosted my mp3 with some black metal I haven't really dug into before:

Nokturnal Mortum - Voice of Steel
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Marduk - Wormwood

Yeah, I know these aren't exactly underground gems, I'm just really slow at listening to new music. Mostly I'm digging in the fields of 90's (was this a strange sentence?).

Marduk's Wormwood is great. If you like it I'd recommend getting into Funeral Mist if you havn't. Same vocals with a more DsO or Katharsis kinda sound.

That Nokturnal Mortum album proves that Weltanschauung was only the beginning of their ascent to being one of the most epic BM bands still going today. They've always been "epic" black metal but those last two have really satisfied the true Ukrainian warrior in me.