Black Metal.

I'm digging that Obsequiae stuff. It took a couple listens for the quality of it to sink in for me. The writing is very sophisticated and it's cool to see that they can engage in this level of "noodling" while still making the songs progress naturally. That probably comes from the palpable medieval and baroque influences; these people sound like they have some actual musical education under their belts. This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for these days. I'm kind of getting tired of the extremely large amount of boneheaded songwriting in extreme metal. This definitely seems worthy of further investigation. Thanks for the rec.

I'm digging that Obsequiae stuff. It took a couple listens for the quality of it to sink in for me. The writing is very sophisticated and it's cool to see that they can engage in this level of "noodling" while still making the songs progress naturally. That probably comes from the palpable medieval and baroque influences; these people sound like they have some actual musical education under their belts. This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for these days. I'm kind of getting tired of the extremely large amount of boneheaded songwriting in extreme metal. This definitely seems worthy of further investigation. Thanks for the rec.

10/10.

You guys fucking desperate? That was just some decent mid-paced black metal.

No it's not. It's definitely better than decent. It's not the greatest thing I've ever heard, but I daresay it's more melodically sophisticated than 99% of boneheaded teenager black metal crap and it actually sounds like it incorporates its non-metal influence in an informed way as opposed to the exercise in kitsch that most black metal of a similar type amounts to.

edit: Listening to their demo right now. Yeah, these guys are rad. The songs Der Morgenstern posted are actually probably not entirely reflective of what this band's capable of, because I'm already enjoying the demo a bit more than those songs. Ordering their album tonight as well.

I don't know if there are any Hirilorn fans here, but I've been listening to their demo lately and I enjoy it immensely. Really good melodic black metal. Hirilorn always had a pretty unique melodic sensibility. I actually like this better than their full-length. The version I'm listening to is ripped from cassette tape and it just sounds like complete ass, but as is often the case in black metal, this actually works in its favor. It sounds like something unearthed from some forgotten age. Also, the ambient tracks on this are actually pretty damn cool imo. I usually don't care for ambient tracks done by bm bands.

2445.jpg

No it's not. It's definitely better than decent. It's not the greatest thing I've ever heard, but I daresay it's more melodically sophisticated than 99% of boneheaded teenager black metal crap and it actually sounds like it incorporates its non-metal influence in an informed way as opposed to the exercise in kitsch that most black metal of a similar type amounts to.

edit: Listening to their demo right now. Yeah, these guys are rad. The songs Der Morgenstern posted are actually probably not entirely reflective of what this band's capable of, because I'm already enjoying the demo a bit more than those songs. Ordering their album tonight as well.

Good man. I knew you'd dig it.

Never got into Lunar Aurora, but I will probably give them a few more chances. My initial impression was that they were lacking the riffs, but maybe I will have to focus more on the atmosphere.

I finally was able to spin the Maledicere CD tonight. Wish there were YouTube tracks up so I could post, but it's a case where the shitty traditional 2nd-wave-ish lo-fi production from the demos served the music far better than whatever they did on this CD. I understand the urge to avoid aping what was done nearly 20 years ago, but I greatly prefer the 4-track style. The guitars lack that big tremolo sound, and the vocals are too big, and the drums have no punch since the low-end of the guitars are up too high. It really strikes me how songs that were 9/10 material on a demo are about 6/10 material on a badly recorded CD. Maybe I am being too opinionated, and this was the sound the band always wanted, but the "quality" took away the eerie and evil feeling of the recording, and rendered the martial elements of the demos limp.

I trust the artists enough to believe that the end result of this release is due to lack of funds. I feel like with a mid-major budget this would have turned out better. Sometimes it felt like there were performance errors, and there were tempo changes that just did not work (hint: faster and looser = almost always better than tight and slow). My main hope is that since 5/6 tracks were previously recorded, there will be new material that better suits their new recording options. The early tremolo-based melodic riffs won't work like the newer emphasis on rhythm.