Black Metal.

It sure sounded like your point was that "bands are getting bassier" and also that "No one is trying to sound like Nattens Madrigal anymore" which really sounds to me like you just want BM bands to conform to your idea that raw = treble. Bass is being emphasized in BM because there's a stylistic evolution that seems to be leading bands to believe (sometimes correctly) that bass is a relevant instrument in the music. I am confused, primarily, about why you brought up Mgła, because, once again, I am asserting that he utilizes some very important bass tones that necessitate the focus on that aspect of the production. Black metal is primarily about being focused on atmosphere and momentum of music rather than "rhythm" and the logical extension that rhythm affects riff structure, as it does in most death metal that exists. I think that the bands who utilize these "bass-heavy" tones are merely succumbing to a necessary progression in the timeline of black metal that seems to dictate what is okay for bands to do while still remaining, at their core, black metal (that is, while not becoming "death metal").

I'd still say that the tendency towards bassier black metal has far less to do with the bass guitar than a change in the tone of the guitars and production overall. Lack of interesting bass lines has been a complaint about lots of metal since forever, and I don't think that has really changed. Not many bands are using bass to complement the lead melody rather than just follow it. But it's hard to argue against how lots of successful BM bands have increasingly went with more low end as they went on. I don't think I'm making this up.

The Mgla that I first liked was just really trebly and catchy. I would have liked to hear more material like that. The things they have done since then are good also. I just could have gone for more of the old sound they had.

I always thought that the production on Nattens Madrigal was Ulver attempting to get more black metal street cred. I like the album, but it seriously didn't need to be that raw.

I always thought that the production on Nattens Madrigal was Ulver attempting to get more black metal street cred. I like the album, but it seriously didn't need to be that raw.

I don't know how worried about "black metal cred" Ulver were, since they released a double-disc of industrial music (or whatever you want to call Themes from William Blake...) just a year later.

Personally no. I find that usually the vocals kill it for me, although I've heard a few that have pretty good instrumentals going on.

Hirilorn is so fucking good imo. I like their demo stuff better than their full-length, but it's all pretty damn good imo.

A Hymn To The Ancient Souls seems pretty demo heavy. I'm picking that up. If I really dig it, I'll get the other collections sooner or later.

I'm getting these by local delivery from the former Metal Haven store. If anyone wants me to forward them a list of vinyls he has for sale via mail order, PM me. He's a completely trustworthy seller, and there are some real goodies there. Expect higher prices for some rarities, but there are quite a few good finds at $25 and under. Good stuff that lingered after the store closed has a good price.