Black Metal.

I hope the description for the new Drudkh holds up. I haven't listened to anything of theirs since Blood in Our Wells. Forgotten Legends ranks as one of my top albums of all time. Isn't Eternal Turn of the Wheel one of their song titles?

Isn't Eternal Turn of the Wheel one of their song titles?

Eternal Turn of the Wheel is a song from their first album. I guess they did it to really drive home the fact that they are going back to their roots.

Cool. I really like both styles anyway.

I definitely need to pick up some drudkh albums...
Can I go wrong with any of them really? (this is assuming I kind of liked Handful of Stars and wouldnt be disappointed by it so no need to pick on it)

If you liked Handful of Stars then the obvious recommendation would be Microcosmos, but i personally like Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora as well. I havent spent as much time listening to the others.

I think Drudkh might be washed out. They've always been a redundant band, but I think they've kind of peaked. What offended me about "Handful of Stars" wasn't that they used post-rock guitar tones, but that basically just regurgitated their same old sound with a different guitar tone. It was like they were trying to trick people into think they were progressing when really they had no new ideas. I worry that the "return" to the folkier sound will basically just be a confession that "OK, we've basically got nothing new to do, so lets just make the fans happy and release Blood in our Wells part 3.

Yep, basically. I remember being kind of blown away by the solo in "Furrows of Gods" and then never feeling a single emotion from their work since then.

They already ripped themselves off on Estrangement (the album where I kinda lost interest and then just never bothered checking out any of their further albums) with that song where the first riff was practically identical to "Forests in Fire and Gold" from the first one. So I'm not really gonna expect much from this.

Presence is still one of my favorite black metal albums

listened to a few tracks off that Fyrnask album posted a couple pages back and was really impressed. Gonna have to seek that one out

New Mgla?

AGKwN.png

Mgla on Crushing The Holy Trinity was my favorite from them. They're verging on overproduction now, but black metal is getting bassier in general these days. No one is trying to sound like Nattens Madrigal anymore. More bands need to sound shitty again. The Maledicere demos were my favorite raw black metal in the past few years, and then their album came out sounding kind of professional, and it lost the charm. Mgla is on the fence, but the riffs are so quality that I'm still going to enjoy it. Drudkh, on the other hand, is not a band that can really get away with a modern production anymore. If they're claiming they're going to their early sound, they'd better get a little raw again. This is something that bands that say they are going to their roots just about never do.

Nattens Madrigal's main fault was trying too hard, are you serious? It's a horrendously overproduced album with all the hallmarks of studio bullshit. I can't even believe you just made such a heinous claim. It's like one of the original overproduced BM albums. It's so unbalanced and nails-on-a-chalkboard sounding. That isn't to say it's not good, but no one should delude themselves into saying that's an underproduced or "raw" (lol) album. Mgła does very well by the increasing production aspects of his work, so do projects like Taake, Deathspell Omega and Katharsis. In fact, the bass on Mgła - Groza is a very important instrument that has absolutely no reason to be scooped out and replaced by blaring mid/high frequency bluster that add zero to atmosphere, nor to substitute a gain knob dialed to 11 for subtlety and fine songcraft.

That was kind of my point in mentioning Nattens Madrigal. It's obviously too much. While it has a couple excellent riffs, I don't find it all that great of a record, and it's only notable for the production and because Ulver is/was well-known. I disagree with your assertion that it's somehow less raw because it was by choice rather than by necessity, as was more often the case in years prior. I was just trying to reference something unabashedly treble-heavy, because even something like Transilvanian Hunger is way more balanced than it's ever given credit for.

I should still have specified the difference between audible bass playing and emphasizing low-end frequencies. Plenty of lo-fi BM recordings still manage to have audible and interesting bass parts (Leviathan), but aren't particularly bassy in the overall sound. In the last few years the tendency for most BM bands has been to try to sound heavier. I don't need these bands to be heavy. I want to hear good riffs and feel a good atmosphere. I think the more modern sounding bands don't deliver quite the same atmosphere. I'm not even talking 2nd wave versus the last 15 years. I'm thinking the last handful of years or so.