Black Metal.

Few off the top of my head:

Kawir - ΙΣΟΘΕΟΣ
Eis - Wetterkreuz
Lantlos - (ALL)
Fyrnask - Bluostar
Cloak of Altering - (BOTH)

To add:
Celeste - Nihiliste(s) sorta BM with hardcore parts.
Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (folky melodic BM)
Glorior Belli - Great Southern Darkness (BM sludge from France. Awesome stuff).
The Meads of Asphodel - The Excommunication of Christ (avant-garde BM from UK)

Not new but Diabolical Masquerade is quite avant-garde BM. I love their album the Phantom Lodge.

So, with the exception of some standouts, I've been out of touch with Black Metal for a few years. What albums would you guys recommend on the post rocky, folksy, shoegazing, avant garde and epic fronts?

The last albums I dug were:
Vaura's debut
The 777 Trilogy
Dodecahedron's debut
Todtgelichter - Angst

Woods of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
Panopticon - Kentucky
Skagos - Ast
Castevet - Mounds of Ash
Alda - Tahoma

To add:
Celeste - Nihiliste(s) sorta BM with hardcore parts.
Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (folky melodic BM)
Glorior Belli - Great Southern Darkness (BM sludge from France. Awesome stuff).
The Meads of Asphodel - The Excommunication of Christ (avant-garde BM from UK)

Not new but Diabolical Masquerade is quite avant-garde BM. I love their album the Phantom Lodge.

That Glorior Belli album is just...strange. After all this time, it still hasn't totally grown on me.

So, one "hipster" black metal band I've gotten into recently is Deafheaven. Am I alone in liking these guys? Roads to Judah is awesome and I can't wait for their new album.

I really don't like deafheaven at all. Even bought the album. Sold it for three bucks. Still eager to hear the new Lantos and Altar of Plagues coming out later this year.

I like deafheaven, but then again, I like garbage hipster black metal. Would be sick as hell to see them open for Boris in LA, but ill be raising fat blunts to Ufomammut in Baltimore.

Do you know the release dates for Lantlos and AoP?

Saw Deafhaven live (they played with Alcest) and I just couldn't do it... They are constantly playing shows around here though; so I'm guessing they have quite a following. Probably should give them a legit listen on cd one day...

Yeah, that Glorior Belli album is different, but admittedly i have a ridiculous sweet tooth for sludge/BM fusion.

See, it's funny, Mort, because most black metal fans would say the exact opposite: that Alcest is more shoegaze than metal.

They're not a good example of metal either. I wasn't speaking in terms of what they are just that they're not good

I mostly liked Deafheaven's album, but their live show wasn't very compelling. Their drummer is damn good though.

Krow, where did you hear that Lantlos has a new album coming out? I couldn't find anything on their website. Excitied to hear that Lantlos and AoP have new albums coming up though. The two best post-BM bands in my opinion.

I gave Roads to Judah the old college try and it was pretty underwhelming. For all the hype, you would've thought it was some top shelf post-BM like AoP or Terra Tenebrosa.

ST and Agape left me equally dissatisfied because the distinguishing feature of Lantlos for me was their rain-soaked, smoky, disparate lounge element. I hope their next release recaptures that.

Glorior Belli's latest was actually pretty impressive. I like how much the French bands are individuating these days - 6 years ago I would've said there was a pervasive "French sound", whereas now DsO, BAN, Glorior Belli and Antaeus have all self-actuated and kept kicking out some really jammin tunes.

Overall, I'm really digging these recs and getting a feel for what's what these days. Thanks guys :kickass:

I gave Roads to Judah the old college try and it was pretty underwhelming. For all the hype, you would've thought it was some top shelf post-BM like AoP or Terra Tenebrosa.

ST and Agape left me equally dissatisfied because the distinguishing feature of Lantlos for me was their rain-soaked, smoky, disparate lounge element. I hope their next release recaptures that.

Glorior Belli's latest was actually pretty impressive. I like how much the French bands are individuating these days - 6 years ago I would've said there was a pervasive "French sound", whereas now DsO, BAN, Glorior Belli and Antaeus have all self-actuated and kept kicking out some really jammin tunes.

Overall, I'm really digging these recs and getting a feel for what's what these days. Thanks guys :kickass:

"Agape left me equally dissatisifed"

Really? Oh man, I fucking loved that album. It definitely had those smoky disparate lounge moments throughout, but was it just not enough or not hit you the same way?

I need to check out Glorior Belli, heard the name tossed around a lot juet never checked em out.

Krow, where did you hear that Lantlos has a new album coming out? I couldn't find anything on their website. Excitied to hear that Lantlos and AoP have new albums coming up though. The two best post-BM bands in my opinion.

It's titled Melting Sun. Check Lantlos' facebook. They've finished recording it, it seems.

So, with the exception of some standouts, I've been out of touch with Black Metal for a few years. What albums would you guys recommend on the post rocky, folksy, shoegazing, avant garde and epic fronts?

In addition to what has already been mentioned I would add the following.

Fauna- Avifauna (folksy)
Laster- Wijsgeer ende narreman (epic, mellancholic)
Hail Spirit Noir- Pneuma (avant garde/prog/psych)

Then I don't know if any of these fit snugly into the categories you listed, but they're all excellent albums.

Aosoth- III/ IV (the former comes out next month).
Furia- Marzannie, Krolowej Polski
Turdus Merula- Mentem Recipere/ Herbarium

"Agape left me equally dissatisifed"

Really? Oh man, I fucking loved that album. It definitely had those smoky disparate lounge moments throughout, but was it just not enough or not hit you the same way?

I need to check out Glorior Belli, heard the name tossed around a lot juet never checked em out.

Yeah it just didn't grab me. Maybe it's a grower - I'll give it another chance this weekend.

I would definitely recommend later Glorior Belli for you. Start with this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAnwOs-cAE

In addition to what has already been mentioned I would add the following.

Fauna- Avifauna (folksy)
Laster- Wijsgeer ende narreman (epic, mellancholic)
Hail Spirit Noir- Pneuma (avant garde/prog/psych)

Then I don't know if any of these fit snugly into the categories you listed, but they're all excellent albums.

Aosoth- III/ IV (the former comes out next month).
Furia- Marzannie, Krolowej Polski
Turdus Merula- Mentem Recipere/ Herbarium

I've never heard of any of these bands. I've been trying to find some good black metal lately so I'll check them out :kickass:

Mother of fucking Christ the new Aosoth song from IV: An Arrow in Heart is ridiculously awesome. I totally endore crimsonflyod's recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the best band in Black Metal is Immortal... There are other good ones like Enslaved, Emperor, Darkthrone, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Marduk or even Satyricon.

I actually think that the sound of Black Metal is the most brutal in music. As for the lyrics, I still think that Death Metal is more violent (see songs like Fucked With A Knife if you don't know what I'm talking about).

1314842807_marduk_logo_b.jpg

I noticed that you are a fan of Xasthur. I am the drummer from the project with Scott Conner, Nocturnal Poisoning (band). I am also the album artist for Xasthur Portal of Sorrow and Nightmares at Dawn. I am offering a killer deal, You get the new Nocturnal Poisoning cd, 2 cds from the band GRAVESIDESERVICE that Scott played bass for once he quit Xasthur and I played drums for, and lastly some limited edition pins. I will cut you a killer deal on this..

I can do this one time phenomenal deal that I am doing just to get the music out there to the fans. You get one copy of Nocturnal Poisoning - Other Worlds of the Mind, 2 Gravesideservice cds which is the project that I (Ronald Armand Andruchuk -portal of sorrow album artist and drummer from Nocturnal Poisoning) and Scott did post Xasthur, and 2 buttons, (limited edition Nocturnal poisoning / gravesideservice) all for 15 dollars.

Please add my facebook accounts to stay up to date on some awesome projects I am involved in and help keep metal and the arts alive
http://www.facebook.com/GRAVESIDESERVICE
and
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ronald-Armand-Andruchuk/111218005629571?fref=ts..
Heres what you get:
Nocturnal Poisoning - Other Worlds of the Mind (me on drums and album artwork, scott on guitar)
2 GRAVESIDESERVICE cds (this is the band Scott/malefic played bass on and I did drums for post Xasthur)
2 buttons (limited edition Nocturnal poisoning / gravesideservice)