Black Metal.

Castevet's new album is out this week. Borderline black metal, I know. This new song is great. Very reminiscent of some of the melodies in Mastodon - Remission.

New Oranssi Pazuzu sounds promising too. I've enjoyed their previous albums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick McMasters' addition to the outfit leaves me wishing that he'd played on Mounds of Ash. He brings so much space into the band, it's a wonder they ever made due without that rapier whit of his.

If black metal could ever be lauded as angelic and pure, this album would be the centerpiece of such a claim.

Okay so Caladan Brood. I just heard them for the first time recently. We all know this is a total Summoning ripoff, but I have to say I like it better. It just has more balls to it if that makes sense. I am not dissing Summoning in any way, just saying I think I like this better.

Okay so Caladan Brood. I just heard them for the first time recently. We all know this is a total Summoning ripoff, but I have to say I like it better. It just has more balls to it if that makes sense. I am not dissing Summoning in any way, just saying I think I like this better.

I agree with this. I love Summoning, but am waiting for something a little more daring from them.

Edit: I need to give Castevet a listen one of these days. I have a feeling they'd be too post-BM for me, though. I met the vocalist once at a show here (of course I didn't realize it was him), real nice dude.

Nah. I too was amazed with Caladan Brood when I heard them. Especially a track like Wild Autumn Wind. But... They simply don't have enough lasting value like all the Summoning albums have. I have already grown tired of the album while at the same time Old Mornings Dawn has grown on me. I will not say Old Mornings Dawn is a better album than Echoes of Battle, it's not. They're both pretty good. But it's waay too early to dethrone Summoning. Summoning have released sooo much quality material and Caladan, although catchy as hell, are not at all in the same league.

Spektr- Astral Descent

I've had this album sitting in my itunes for a few years and I had totally forgotten about it until I heard it playing at the record store yesterday. This song is so awesome, I love that drum beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah. I too was amazed with Caladan Brood when I heard them. Especially a track like Wild Autumn Wind. But... They simply don't have enough lasting value like all the Summoning albums have. I have already grown tired of the album while at the same time Old Mornings Dawn has grown on me. I will not say Old Mornings Dawn is a better album than Echoes of Battle, it's not. They're both pretty good. But it's waay too early to dethrone Summoning. Summoning have released sooo much quality material and Caladan, although catchy as hell, are not at all in the same league.

Well said.