Black Metal.

Bone Awl.

No one talks about Bone Awl, and they probably never became as big as they should have due to a lack of proper album release, but this stuff is incredibly satisfying. Bone Awl is in my top 3 live black metal bands. A live band can't possibly sound as raw as those recordings do, so an unexpected level of melodicism comes through. It's as headbangy as anything I've seen.

A) The Serpent and the Sphere may be uninspired but it is still fucking great.

B) Agallochs best is Marrow of the Spirit.

C) Gris is phenomenal, and a top-tier black metal band.

Now you may carry on with your days.

Serpent and the Sphere is Agalloch's weakest, but it's still a solid 8/10 for me. The interludes are a little plodding and the songs aren't as inventive as in the past, but they're still all very good. Plateau of the Ages is absolutely epic.

Don't get much from Gris. The various parts just don't fit together for me.

I do like 'The Serpent and the Sphere' but right now I do agree it's probably their weakest effort. It does have its moments though. But 'Faustian Echoes' definitely had me hoping for greater things.

Someone posted this a couple days ago. Nothing special, just good quality (if predictable) melodic BM.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Agreed with that. I had to put it on after reading this just to remember how awesome it is. They were really able to fit their sound into something not only interesting and unique but it worked throughout the album.

Re Aldaaron is good but their debut album i liked more than their sophomore.