Black Metal.

Picked up both The Great Old Ones albums recently. Really hitting a spot for me. Kicking myself for willingly passing on the beautiful special edition with the At The Mountains of Madness book of the latest.

new Primordial track is up. Sounds like a mix of The Gathering Wilderness and To the Nameless Dead

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still enthralled by Primordial, and I was extremely late to that game. I've got a couple more of theirs to listen to yet, but I'm stoked about a new album if that's the case

New album comes out in November

That is the best song they've done since The Gathering Wilderness, wild improvement over TTND and a pretty sizable bit better than most of Redemption

shit that's what I meant to say was it reminded me of The Gathering Wilderness and Redemption, not TTND. Regardless, it sounds fantastic and a return to a darker sound. I'm looking forward to it

I enjoyed Primordial live a lot, but their albums are a bore. So much of it is so grey and soggy to me. Vocals are super prominent (and I don't dislike the vocal performance, per se), but the emphasis on them is not really what I look for in black metal. I'm too autistic to hear the words in songs, so any value people attribute to the lyrics is lost on me. Overall, just not as riff oriented as the stuff I like the most.

I've never really considered them to be black metal after their second album. Elements of it, and it is probably the closest description for their sound but it doesn't fit.

They're like a blend of black metal and epic doom (While Heaven Wept, maybe). I really enjoy the prominent vocals personally. Dudes got decent pipes, and everything I've heard-save for the first 2-has a trudging, marching, dark, crushing atmosphere. It's not monotonous to me, although I can see why it could be for anyone.

Yeah I think you are missing out because I fucking love the band, but I know theyll get a lot of flack around here...Their first album had some elements of black metal in it, but I wouldnt call it black metal...

Its a good album, but its actually the album I listen to the least just cause I prefer their later,post-rockish material more.

Like these:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their first album is a great screamo album with black metal-ish elements, only thing I give a shit about from them

journeys end and spirit the earth aflame are the best things primordial has ever done. storm before calm is good.

i dont understand the fascination with gathering wilderness and everything after. i think its the vocals. i just dont like the vocal style he adopted. he should have kept his croon and rasp, as opposed to this rough singing/yelling thing he's got going.