Black Metal.

I can't really remember much from any of the albums asides Steadfast.

A shame they'll probably never do anything near that good again. Such a great album.

If I had to pick one I'd say I have the most fun with:

231609.jpeg

cover_2558222522015_r.jpg

Been continuing to thrash this for over a week now, something I've not done since BioW. Pleasantly surprised. I would argue that this is the best release for a number of years.

The production is warm, perhaps too full and rich for my personal taste, as it has been since HoS, but musically things are more aggressive. I wish they'd go back to a thinner production, something more raw. I feel it brings out more in their songwriting.

The vocal delivery by Thurios is brilliant as always but he does have noticeably more rage in his lines than I've heard for a few years. The screams and shrieks are nice and drawn out for good aggressive effect. Vlad's drumming is VERY reminiscent of his style with Blood Of Kingu, not so much with the blastbeats, but the fills. The riffs in places DO betray some of the softness we heard in HoS, but only enough so that its not a deterrent. There's also very subtle use of acoustic guitars here and there.

The record is simple, its not as extreme as the perfection of the first four records. The songs are more subtle and don't hit you like a tonne of bricks like Blood In Our Wells did. There are some keyboard lines here and there which really bring us back to Autumn Aurora, which is a nice touch.

A Furrow Cut continues to grow on me, and I'm quite surprised at how good this is. This record takes time to grow. It's a solid return to form - and it makes me feel like they're making their way back to where they should be. I have my faith in Drudkh restored.

465726.jpeg

The new Stíny Plamenů has to be their most "grown-up" recording to date, with great production and thought out song-writing. But it still keeps their unmistakeable touch. The sound that makes them what they are since the first demo. This is their best release since like Rány Černým Kovem and everybody should try it even though the lyrics are once again of great importance and there's no translation for the people from abroad afaik.

Czech metal is alive!

EDIT: I have a huge Kult Ofenzivy fetish and I think this album is better than Nauky Různic tbh.

Drudkh rarely gets me excited anymore, and this recent release is good but not taking my expectations to the next level. Maybe with more listens...

I've never heard Stíny Plamenů, I shall look into them. As well as Kult Ofenzivy.

Anymore?...

Yeah I kinda get it, but I don't think they've had a bad release honestly. I mean if you count that folky album then yeah, but literally I can't throw them on at random and want to change it. But Drudkh hit a lull to a lot of people with and after A Handful of Stars. I personally think they really hit something sweet with that change on AHoS. Where I think they fucked up is that they tried to go back to their roots when it wasn't well received and they fall short.

I'll stop rambling and just say: Basically, it's nothing groundbreaking but still enjoyable.

Drudkh rarely gets me excited anymore, and this recent release is good but not taking my expectations to the next level. Maybe with more listens...

I've never heard Stíny Plamenů, I shall look into them. As well as Kult Ofenzivy.

Hey I think that those bands are where czech black metal is at these days and I think it's nothing to be ashamed of. Some people would probably say Cult Of Fire / Inferno, but not me. I'm just into this type of bands that have their unique sound that you can recognize straight away and sort of get addicted to it and no other band can satisfy you when you need it.

If you want to check out Kult Ofenzivy go with Radikální Ateismus.