Black Metal.

Post-SMRC DSO is some of the most profound extreme metal of the 21st century, with a brilliant merger of aesthetics, technicality, composition, and philosophical vision. Records like Fas and Paracletus are total works of art. If you don't get them, it's your loss/

Fair enough, but still

1016-1377918676-400.jpg

Post-SMRC DSO is some of the most profound extreme metal of the 21st century, with a brilliant merger of aesthetics, technicality, composition, and philosophical vision. Records like Fas and Paracletus are total works of art. If you don't get them, it's your loss.

or its complete and total overly pretentious bullshit *shrug*

Boreguts.
Deathspell Omega tends to be too pretty for my taste, especially later era shit, it's the vibe of college knobheads with nice haircuts that think they're philosophers or something.
Keep all that artsy fartsy bohemianism shit for yourself, sit in your dimly lit room and jack off over your own superiority, I'm drinking beer and listening to Tormentor until I die.

Post-SMRC Deathspell Omega has had some stinker moments (Fas for example), but mostly its been amazing, well thought-out and well-crafted artistic pieces. Paracletus and Drought in particular are extreme metal gems.

I mean, I enjoy the more traditional blend of BM as much as the next guy; in fact 99% of the time I prefer it. But dismissing later Deathspell Omega just because of a preconceived notion that it is wanky or some other bullshit is lame IMO. DSO is the one rare exception that makes me think "wow".

Cassette: Honestly that's the reason I love black metal, in that even albums as stripped-down and barebones as, for example, Inquisitors of Satan, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Marrow of the Spirit; are more cerebral than 99% of other metal IMO.

Don't get me wrong I love me some poseur-killing, beer-chugging black-thrash, traditional, or death metal... I will never turn down good skull-crushing tunes. But introspective, atmospheric black metal is my main love.

Cassette: Honestly that's the reason I love black metal, in that even albums as stripped-down and barebones as, for example, Inquisitors of Satan, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Marrow of the Spirit; are more cerebral than 99% of other metal IMO.

Don't get me wrong I love me some poseur-killing, beer-chugging black-thrash, traditional, or death metal... I will never turn down good skull-crushing tunes. But introspective, atmospheric black metal is my main love.

Cerebral I can definitely agree with, I tend to feel like these "atmospheric" types of Black Metal bands aren't more cerebral than any other kind of Black Metal, for example I feel a lot more in Hellhammer than I do in Deathspell Omega, it's only that bands like Deathspell Omega are more blatant about it and as a result people treat them differently, in other words I think it's subjective.

Are you a Deafheaven fan?

I dig parts of Roads to Judah (Violet is a cool song), but I wasn't big on Sunbather or whatever the fuck it was called. Well, I was at first but after two or three listens it lost a lot of replay value.

Even then, they're not really high up on stuff I listen to.

Tbh I'm big into the depressive stuff, like Abyssic Hate, Coldworld, Nekrokrist SS, Thy Light... but even then I'm really picky. Can't stand the recycled, utterly boring shit like Sterbend or Valefor.

Tbh I'm big into the depressive stuff, like Abyssic Hate, Coldworld, Nekrokrist SS, Thy Light... but even then I'm really picky. Can't stand the recycled, utterly boring shit like Sterbend or Valefor.

I've not delved much into that style, beyond some Xasthur and Happy Days my old housemate used to play.
I seem to remember Forgotten Tomb being okay.