Black Metal.

it has that classic BM atmosphere to it though, the ominous sound

Black Metal, seems to me the last bit is just as important as the first bit, or can I just go around calling eerie OSTs Black Metal now? Haha, Black Metal can exist without atmosphere, it however cannot exist without Metal.

If this track didn't exist in the context of a Black Metal album nobody would be even considering dubbing it Black Metal.

Black Metal, seems to me the last bit is just as important as the first bit, or can I just go around calling eerie OSTs Black Metal now? Haha, Black Metal can exist without atmosphere, it however cannot exist without Metal.

If this track didn't exist in the context of a Black Metal album nobody would be even considering dubbing it Black Metal.

This is true but what do you classify these pseudo ambient black metal bands as then?
would they be black metal inspired?

I completely disagree, anybody passing that particular track off as Black Metal is just...

While I accept that feeling and atmosphere play a big part in what is and isn't Black Metal (which is why bands like Mercyful Fate are credited with laying Black Metal foundations when they don't sound anything like other 80's foundational bands) there at the very least MUST be Metal in the mix, that could just as likely be on a fucking Jean Michel Jarre record.

I completely disagree, anybody passing that particular track off as Black Metal is just...

While I accept that feeling and atmosphere play a big part in what is and isn't Black Metal (which is why bands like Mercyful Fate are credited with laying Black Metal foundations when they don't sound anything like other 80's foundational bands) there at the very least MUST be Metal in the mix, that could just as likely be on a fucking Jean Michel Jarre record.

yeah, i guess i agree but i just don't know what to call it, blackened edm? lol

Well, I wouldn't use the term EDM to describe anything as it's a double negative (well, not necessarily a double negative but you get my point), stupid ass American made up term, Dance music already IS electronic.

It's a pretty common faux-pas, also unimportant distinction in general I guess, but one that irritates me for whatever reason.

I don't really know what I'd call that Elderwind track, Ambient as a general label but Dark Ambient more specifically? That's my opinion anyway.

Btw I quite liked it, cheers!

I'm eatin' what you're cookin' ;)

qUK4MUn.jpg