Black Metal.

I've never listened to a single track off of the new Burzum albums. I've always assumed that they sucked and didn't want to ruin my perception of his overall discography. Am I missing out on anything?

oh, re: the previous page, i should point out branikald ARE a black metal band generally, otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned that song here. i don't really care what genre that tune is though, it's one of my favourites regardless of genre, and works for me better than a lot of 'atmospheric black metal' does.

It is a good track indeed, but calling it black metal is probably a good way to start a fight or two here.

I've never listened to a single track off of the new Burzum albums. I've always assumed that they sucked and didn't want to ruin my perception of his overall discography. Am I missing out on anything?

Belus and Fallen are actually amazing. Much less so than his first four, but they are quality material, and I find people who disagree only do so out of a sense of "trve" posturing.

Belus and Fallen imo are better than most second-tier black metal bands best albums.

Avoid From the Depths of Darkness though. Absolute shit.
Umskiptar is also sort of bland.

They're okay. And fuck off are people that don't like them posturing. Who even does that? I can completely get someone liking hvis... and not digging the new ones. Their loss. 'Valen' is a choon.

I don't think that I'm going to enjoy them, but I will listen to a few tracks today.

I'd also love to know the names of all of these second-tier bands that are enjoyed by people who don't like new Burzum.

Belus, Fallen and Umskiptar are all solid. Yore is kinda meh. They definitely have a niche sound though and I do commend him for not trying to re-hash his old shit or copy someone else. I don't often get the urge to listen to those albums, but when I do they really hit the spot.

On Krallice- Diotima is a pretty weak record, especially considering how strong Dimensional Bleedthrough and Self Titled were... Quite a letdown. They moved somewhat away from that creepy higher pitched unique chord progression to a much more generic bm sound.