Black Metal.

Thanks, I'm digging some of this ambient/atmospheric black metal or whatever it is... All new stuff to me.

Just listening to Wolves in the Throne Room for the first time ("Two Hunters" and "Celestial Lineage"), absolutely fantastic albums!

Funny thing is, I chose to start reading this thread a couple of days ago starting at about 2010 (p.900), and have coincidentally just reached some old posts where you lot were dissing WITTR as being a bit "meh".

I think they're fantastic. Diadem of 12 Stars. Black Cascade, and Two Hunters stand out for me.

Nagelfar :kickass:

hqdefault.jpg

pretty good stuff, not over whelming though

also their obsession with the '78 lotr makes me not like them as people

Thanks, I'm digging some of this ambient/atmospheric black metal or whatever it is... All new stuff to me.

Just listening to Wolves in the Throne Room for the first time ("Two Hunters" and "Celestial Lineage"), absolutely fantastic albums!

Funny thing is, I chose to start reading this thread a couple of days ago starting at about 2010 (p.900), and have coincidentally just reached some old posts where you lot were dissing WITTR as being a bit "meh".

I only dig Two Hunters and even then it could do with being about half as long as it is.

There are some moments on Diadem of 12 Stars (particularly on the epic "Queen of the Borrowed Light"), that are truly unforgettable to me. Sometimes I will think I'm writing something original and then realize that I just haven't listened to that record in a long time.

The resulting riffs get revoked, of course.

I only dig Two Hunters and even then it could do with being about half as long as it is.

Better for atmosphere, but Black Cascade is better overall on a song by song basis with a little more traditional structure.

Their best song:

Last edited by a moderator:
dont know if this is new or not

Satyricon frontman Satyr Wongraven has announced his recent diagnoses of a brain tumour. In a statement he states that the tumour is benign and is not currently life threatening, but will require him to take time of. The statement is below:

"I’m going home. I got extremely sick 8 days ago and was rushed to hospital. Scans have shown that there is a blind passenger in my head. Most likely it is benign. I can live with it as long as it does not grow bigger. Removing it is extremely complicated and should only be done if it grows into a size where it is a matter of life and death. We all get our set of cards and this happened to be one of mine. There are so many people who have to deal with much worse things than I do, so I do not feel sorry for myself. I have a great family, lots of friends, Satyricon, Wongraven Wines and many people who support my endeavours all over the world. I will spend the next two weeks trying to get my strength back, then try to starting writing on the new Satyricon again and pick up where I left on all my wine projects."

I'm surprised I don't see more love for Shade Empire in this thread. I'm not a huge fan of Black Metal but I absolutely love Shade Empire's Omega Arcane album. I'm a sucker for (quality) symphonic stuff in any genre, and these guys are pretty kick ass in that department. I'd liken it to Dimmu's Progenies song, if it were expanded upon and made into a whole album.

The entire album kicks ass, anyone else have this one? Listen to the full song:

Last edited:
Thanks for this suggestion the other day, I really enjoyed that.

Can anyone who speaks Norwegian translate the track titles for me? I've spent an hour with Google Translate and other websites, but only ended up with a half-hearted result, and can't find anything better.

The album title is "Stemning", apparently meaning Mood, Atmosphere.

Track titles:
1. Ved aas i haustmoerket
2. Ved baal i kveldstime
3. Ved skog i natterstid
4. Ved fjell i vinterblaest
5. Ved elv i eismal stund
6. Ved hav i avdagsleitet

And this is my translated effort so far (underline means couldn't translate at all):

1. By aas in the autumn darkness
2. the campfire in evening time
3. at forest in nighttime
4. on mountain in winter blast
5. by river in lonely while (? doesn't make sense)
6. at sea in avdag struggle

Sure:

1. Ved aas i haustmoerket = By the hill in the autumn darkness (Aas is a hill. Think; Solen Gaar Bag Aase Ned by Ulver. This means "The Sun Sets Behind the Hill"
2. Ved baal i kveldstime = By the bonfire at evening time
3. Ved skog i natterstid = By the forest at night time
4. Ved fjell i vinterblaest = By the mountain in stormy winter weather
5. Ved elv i eismal stund = By the stream in a moment of loneliness
6. Ved hav i avdagsleitet = Not sure about this. I think perhaps = By the sea in the final moments of suffering

Sure:

1. Ved aas i haustmoerket = By the hill in the autumn darkness (Aas is a hill. Think; Solen Gaar Bag Aase Ned by Ulver. This means "The Sun Sets Behind the Hill"
2. Ved baal i kveldstime = By the bonfire at evening time
3. Ved skog i natterstid = By the forest at night time
4. Ved fjell i vinterblaest = By the mountain in stormy winter weather
5. Ved elv i eismal stund = By the stream in a moment of loneliness
6. Ved hav i avdagsleitet = Not sure about this. I think perhaps = By the sea in the final moments of suffering

That's great, I was still stuck with those last two, so I've got all of them translated to my satisfaction now. Thanks.

I'm glad you like it man!
Any fans of Finnish band Ride For Revenge here? Listening to the dbl compilation album 'Disturbances' and even though a lot of times they play a form of blackened power electronics I've never heard a band produce a more more authentic and downright scary BM atmosphere.The tracks on this album are incredible and way beyond what others consider BM.Probably my favourite current BM band but this is proper ritualistic,nightmarish hell and not something I would listen to every day.
http://youtu.be/bwVrY3j_YpI