Black Metal.

I'm only just getting into the more extreme side of metal, and thought I'd click on this thread thinking it was only a few pages to read through:

Black Metal. (1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Shit, there's 1100 pages!

It took me a week just to go through the 100-page Power Metal thread.

Anyway, I'll make a post here, but feel free to direct me towards a more appropriate thread if there is one, or give me some idea of the correct music category I should be looking for, and I'll make post in the "Recommendations" sub-forum.

Aside from Opeth, I've never really looked into extreme metal previously as I could never get past the non-clean vocals. However, I discovered Agalloch a couple of years ago and was completely bowled over with the atmosphere they created. I know they're not Black Metal, but they introduced me to that kind of harsh vocal style.

I've listened to quite a lot of stuff on Youtube and found a few other bands I also like (Moonsorrow, Negura Bunget, Forest Stream and the shrieking(!!) Austere and Ghost Bath), but I still want more stuff like the Agalloch sound.

Anyway, after doing Google searches along the lines of "bands similar to Agalloch" etc., I found a few more bands I liked:

-- Fen
-- Altar Of Plagues
-- Gallowbraid
-- October Falls
-- The Morningside

These seem to be categorised under "Atmospheric Black Metal", but then so do a lot of other bands that I've listened to but which aren't to my taste.

Is there a more specific sub-category in the genre that I should be looking for to narrow these down to my preferences? What I like is the mixture of intensity and mellow, almost acoustic dreamy tranquil passages.

Whenever I find some relevant stuff on the internet, it often seems to be a few years old, so maybe there's some more recent stuff I'm not picking up on?

So the new Deafheaven is EXCELLENT. It's not as clean and pretty sounding as Sunbather, but at the same time it's very much nonthreatening black metal. There is plenty of variety to be found and I am very much on board with this band now. Uncertainty has dissipated.

I'll be on the lookout for that Nechochwen album, I like those dudes.

OneManArmy give Nattsol a go. Very good nature-oriented black metal.

I imagine that Deafheaven album will be just as carcinogenic as the last.

Sfk, you're the first person to mention that Megiddo album here other than me. It anywhere near as good as The Devil and the Whore?

It's a brilliant album Krow the songs are fairly short but pack plenty of venom and have a definite old school punk vibe which I love in my BM and the riffs are addictive as hell.