Black Metal.

According to who?

And regardless of what you think, Venom has always, and will always be Black Metal. You can't retroactively be removed of something that you once were. The problem is that you're looking backwards, when you should be looking forward from back then. Look at the line of progression from the beginning, not from where it is now. Look at the end product and saying that what was at the beginning has nothing to do with what's at the end is just silly.

I'm sorry, anyone who doesn't consider Venom Black Metal either has a vendetta against the band or doesn't really know what they're talking about.

According to who?

And regardless of what you think, Venom has always, and will always be Black Metal. You can't retroactively be removed of something that you once were. The problem is that you're looking backwards, when you should be looking forward from back then. Look at the line of progression from the beginning, not from where it is now. Look at the end product and saying that what was at the beginning has nothing to do with what's at the end is just silly.

I'm sorry, anyone who doesn't consider Venom Black Metal either has a vendetta against the band or doesn't really know what they're talking about.

It's not that Venom has nothing to do with black metal. It's just that they are more of a prototype that was very influential to black metal rather than being the genre itself. They are more suitably fit, in regards to sound, under the speed/thrash tag in my opinion.

Slayer used to be considered black metal, too, back in the earlier 80s. Essentially, anything satanic was considered black metal. If Judas Priest had satanic lyrics, they would have been considered black metal as well (look at King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, whose music is essentially NWOBHM with an evil twist). The term heavy metal itself came from Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin (I forget which), neither of which is considered metal today.

Don't associate Mercyful Fate with NWOBHM because they are from Denmark.

edit: But yea I understand what you're saying, but Venom is still Black Metal... They have a fucking album called Black Metal.

Slayer used to be considered black metal, too, back in the earlier 80s. Essentially, anything satanic was considered black metal. If Judas Priest had satanic lyrics, they would have been considered black metal as well (look at King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, whose music is essentially NWOBHM with an evil twist). The term heavy metal itself came from Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin (I forget which), neither of which is considered metal today.

Actually, "heavy metal" came from the lyrics of "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf. Led Zeppelin just sort of solidified the term with their band name.

In addition, some still consider Led Zeppelin to be a metal band, so don't be too quick to namedrop them for your argument.

Actually, "heavy metal" came from the lyrics of "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf. Led Zeppelin just sort of solidified the term with their band name.

I had always heard a reviewer commented on Black Sabbath that they 'sounded like heavy metal' or something and that's where it came from.

google says Black Sab predate Zepplin by 2 years so maybe it did start there?

According to who?

why would you think that I hate them?

I love Venom. no vendetta. I say tomayto you say tomahto. same difference.

I could really care less if Hoest (er however you spell his name) wears a swastika on his chest...

...the penis incident on the other hand :zombie: