Black Metal.

Didn't have you down as a DsO fan, Krow.

I don't act like they're the greatest black metal band ever or anything but I do like them.

My taste in black metal is pretty random in general. I tend to like less traditional stuff though, save for Darkthrone.

feels kind of trite saying it 'cause it's a song so clearly designed to get responses like this, but yeah 'carnal malefactor' is 'kin godly indeed. can't get enough of that shit.

I'm intimidated by the length of the album that first song appearson, but maybe I'll buy it at some point.

Can anyone recommend newer black metal that is either closer to old school or has influences from more traditional metal styles? I also want a credible list of newer black metal that is worth hearing even if it isn't in that umbrella.

Mainly referring to people like @Phylactery and @no country for old wainds that like a lot of the same stuff that I already like in old school black metal and elsewhere.

Surely the actual 'phase 1' is the style found on Infernal Battles (which is hella generic and not especially interesting) and Inquisitors of Satan (still generic but loaded with riffs)?

Then there's the Manifestations stuff (which is awesome and seemingly totally overlooked by most) which is like, as the dates should suggest, a bridge from their original sound to the SMRC sound.

I'm intimidated by the length of the album that first song appearson, but maybe I'll buy it at some point.

Can anyone recommend newer black metal that is either closer to old school or has influences from more traditional metal styles? I also want a credible list of newer black metal that is worth hearing even if it isn't in that umbrella.

Mainly referring to people like @Phylactery and @no country for old wainds that like a lot of the same stuff that I already like in old school black metal and elsewhere.
Check out Negative Plane's first album.

Can anyone recommend newer black metal that is either closer to old school or has influences from more traditional metal styles?

These aren't exactly new but you might not be familiar with them. The first 2 are quite Mercyful Fate Influenced.

Bewitched - Dragonflight

Night Conquers Day - Rebellion is the Art of Survival (Their first album The First Snowfall is also good.)

Agatus - The Weaving Fate

Zemial - In Monumentum

There is also newer stuff like Midnight's Satanic Royalty that is like a modern take on Venom. I'm not particularly fond of it, but many tasteful people seem to like it.

I also want a credible list of newer black metal that is worth hearing even if it isn't in that umbrella.

Some newer black metal that I like:

Panphage - Storm
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata, Advent Parallax
Katharsis -VVorld VVithout End, Fourth Reich
Nocternity - Onyx
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Mgla - With Hearts Towards None

I'll also second Mutantllama's recommendation of Negative Plane's Et in Saecula Saeculorum.

Edit: Forgot Mgla.

Last edited:
I thought you might have already heard of them from CIG. He's a bit of a fanboy.

Let me know if any of these appeal to you. I think you'll like the Bewitched most.

Last edited:
Carnal Malefactor is godly. That riff after orthodox singing part...

A lot of people seem to cite this riff as amazing. It's my least favourite part of the song actually. I much prefer everything that comes before it and when they return back to that melody after the riff you're talking about.

I think the vocals are one of the weaker parts of modern DSO. He tries to sound passionate and emotional but fails for the most part imo. I don't think they're bad and they are quite unique, I just think they could be better suited to the music at times.

Surely the actual 'phase 1' is the style found on Infernal Battles (which is hella generic and not especially interesting) and Inquisitors of Satan (still generic but loaded with riffs)?

Then there's the Manifestations stuff (which is awesome and seemingly totally overlooked by most) which is like, as the dates should suggest, a bridge from their original sound to the SMRC sound.

Yeah there's two ways to look at it. Phase 1 is the Darkthrone worship material, SMRC is the transition album, and then Kenose onward is the technical era. Or you can read SMRC as the pinnacle of Phase 1. I'm fine with either reading, but I don't consider anything off the first two albums to be so exceptional that I would recommend it. I consider it enjoyable boilerplate black metal.