Black Metal.

I'm relatively uneducated on black metal. Really craving more filthy primal shit like Lord Mantis, any recs? I'm not saying the lyrics need to be fucked but they need to be a little fucked and sound like they mean it.
Have you tried Maniac Butcher? Their lyrics aren't exactly messed up in the head, but they definitely fit the "filthy, primal" descriptors you inquired about.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
I'm relatively uneducated on black metal. Really craving more filthy primal shit like Lord Mantis, any recs? I'm not saying the lyrics need to be fucked but they need to be a little fucked and sound like they mean it.

But Lord Mantis isn't black metal at all. They were always sludge-y for me. Check out Cobalt.

Last edited:
Our difference of opinion shows because Cobalt isn't quite what I'm looking for. Good but not quite. I think of Lord Mantis as definitely blackened sludge, and it's more the black metal influences of ferocity I'm interested in. Stalking it's prey then fucking annihilating it, the atmospheric side. A band that doesn't necessarily have balls, but definitely has teeth.

I'm looking for filthiness in lyrics and vocals, with a very organic feeling of hatred driving the guitars. Fucking depraved hatred. Murderous and mean, sans the satanic. Rabid.

I don't super care for Darkthrone but they're another good example. My bad if this is a shitty descriptor I'm a poet not a musician lol.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Early Immortal might do the trick too, oh, and avoid early to mid 2000's Gorgoroth like the plague. Anything with Gaahl on vocals is to be averted. 90's Gorgoroth is nothing short of some of the best in black metal though, and 2009 and beyond again is a return to form, though the vocals on Instinctus Bestialis from 2015 are rather meh (eveything else, in particular the guitars, are frigging sky-rending though).

Our difference of opinion shows because Cobalt isn't quite what I'm looking for. Good but not quite. I think of Lord Mantis as definitely blackened sludge, and it's more the black metal influences of ferocity I'm interested in. Stalking it's prey then fucking annihilating it, the atmospheric side. A band that doesn't necessarily have balls, but definitely has teeth.

I'm looking for filthiness in lyrics and vocals, with a very organic feeling of hatred driving the guitars. Fucking depraved hatred. Murderous and mean, sans the satanic. Rabid.

I don't super care for Darkthrone but they're another good example. My bad if this is a shitty descriptor I'm a poet not a musician lol.

I posted Cobalt because the ex Lord Mantis vocalist Charlie Fell (great vox) joined Cobalt on their newest record.

I'll have to look what I got for that description, Carpe.

Just bought this and fucking love it, I'm not sure what the lyrics are like but there's definitely a primal vibe if you want to check it out Em.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
whats the coldest black metal album in your opinion?
it has to be this for me
cover.jpg
this demo always leaves me frigid

Good mood/mix on this one. The music itself isn't groundbreaking or anything, but just a well done atmo/ambient/symphonic chillout album.

Last edited:
Didn't have you down as a DsO fan, Krow.

I didn't get much out of Kenose or Fas and I haven't heard Paracletus. I might listen to this one to see how their sound has progressed.