Black Metal.

Was randomly watching some "Top X Albums of 2015" videos and couldn't help but realize/remember how great of a year 2015 was for BM overall, but especially atmospheric leaning stuff. Kind of puts the subgenre to shame looking at it in the mirror.

Akhlys
Hæthen
Macabre Omen
Drowning the Light
Batushka
Misþyrming
Havukruunu
Mgla
Obsequiae

Damn!

I saw my post and thought "I swear I said that last weekend". Turns out it was earlier than that. Strange.

Horna are consistent, but mediocre. One of the safest black metal bands in existence.

I understand where you are coming from. Many of their songs use that "safe" emo sounding chord progression (shared by Satanic Warmaster) that sounds both good and bad at the same time. They have some fucking awesome songs at the same time. My favorites are Oi Kallis Kotimaa and Piina.

I might add that the Horna fanbase is a horde of gothic dumbassery.

I've got a bunch of Graveland coming my way actually.

Thousand Swords
Following the Voice Of Blood
Immortal Pride
Dawn of Iron Blades
Fire Chariot of Destruction
Pamięć i przeznaczenie

I'm going to have to chill out on buying shit for a while.

Thousand Swords has a few good tracks but overall, it is mundane and overrated. I'm not sure about the others. I prefer Absurd to Graveland, though. You must give Totenlieder a listen.

So these guys released a demo this year, still making great true north black metal with a cold sound, but this might as well be considered a new album it's fucking fantastic and full in its length.

That is some of the best new black metal I've heard...

Reactions: CiG
That is some of the best new black metal I've heard...

So I did a bit of research and it is considered a demo (technically a rehearsal) because it's either partially or totally them recording old back catalog tracks before a big show. So it's re-recorded material.

You might like this album, also from 2017.
I think it's fantastic, black metal from Finland.

Reactions: PrincessHades
Thousand Swords has a few good tracks but overall, it is mundane and overrated. I'm not sure about the others. I prefer Absurd to Graveland, though. You must give Totenlieder a listen.

Thousand Swords is indeed overrated, but it's not even a top 5 Graveland release. If that's all you've heard, you haven't heard the best of Graveland.

Go to the following three:

Carpathian Wolves-their best pure black metal album
Immortal Pride-their best viking metal album
Following the Voice of Blood- a middle point between those two sounds, and their best record overall (though not their most accessible)

So these guys released a demo this year, still making great true north black metal with a cold sound, but this might as well be considered a new album it's fucking fantastic and full in its length.

Never bought this one but I have all their others. Guess I should eh on that. Fantastic band.

Thousand Swords is indeed overrated, but it's not even a top 5 Graveland release. If that's all you've heard, you haven't heard the best of Graveland.

Go to the following three:

Carpathian Wolves-their best pure black metal album
Immortal Pride-their best viking metal album
Following the Voice of Blood- a middle point between those two sounds, and their best record overall (though not their most accessible)

I really like The Glare of Burning Churches, The Celtic Winter, and Carpathian Wolves. The only great songs off of Thousand Swords are The Blood of Christians on my Sword and Black Metal War.

Thousand Swords seems to be underrated if anything. I see quite a few opinions similar to Crimsonfloyd's and then some who think it's utter shit. Definitely the most innovative Graveland release and features some of the best songwriting of their career.

Thousand Swords seems to be underrated if anything. I see quite a few opinions similar to Crimsonfloyd's and then some who think it's utter shit. Definitely the most innovative Graveland release and features some of the best songwriting of their career.

WHOA! I never came close to saying it's "utter shit." It's a B+ album. I actually even agree it's the most innovative Graveland record. However, the songwriting and production are inferior to Following the Voice of Blood, which basically takes the ideas laid out on Thousand Swords and refine them.

It's been a while since I listened to anything by Graveland that isn't Thousand Swords. Can we at least agree that Black Metal War is easily the least good song on the album and it'd probably be better off without it?

I always found Following the Voice of Blood to be too long, but I do agree that the production rules and Thurisaz is one of the best songs Darken ever recorded.

Reactions: Phylactery

So I did a bit of research and it is considered a demo (technically a rehearsal) because it's either partially or totally them recording old back catalog tracks before a big show. So it's re-recorded material.

You might like this album, also from 2017.
I think it's fantastic, black metal from Finland.

these are cool, thanks. seems like fortresse is hitting their stride now

Definitely. Thought Iron Wizard was joking when he said it was one of the only good songs on the album!

It was a strange type of joke. I do think that it is one of the redeeming songs on the album (I happen to like it as it's a fast, energetic black metal song that maintains a very bleak feeling at the same time), but I was also making a joke about my fondness for it as it seems to be hated amongst Graveland fans. Sort of like how I think it's funny that I enjoy Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills by Pantera.