Black Metal.

Black metal days of our lives:

Andrew finally contacted Elegy and Redstream and said Judd was talking out of his ass. AMM has closed their facebook and now their remaining releases are all on sale on bandcamp.

Pretty sure everyone involved in this is losing brain cells at this point.

I think this is my first post in at least 3 years if not longer. Heartening to see the same faces, still having much the same arguments :)

Can I be one of those annoying pricks who asks for the essential listening from the last 12 months or so? I don't think I've been wowed since Mgla's last release... that was a long time ago but I haven't had time to delve much.

I think this is my first post in at least 3 years if not longer. Heartening to see the same faces, still having much the same arguments :)

Can I be one of those annoying pricks who asks for the essential listening from the last 12 months or so? I don't think I've been wowed since Mgla's last release... that was a long time ago but I haven't had time to delve much.

Sorcier des Glaces - North
Panphage - Storm, Drengskapr and Jord
Wampyrinacht - We Will be Watching
Communion - At the Announcement

Last edited:

Not all BM, but a decent portion is...

The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia (Black/Doom/Folk, crazy hypnotic heavy shit with chanting. My AOTY)
Dvne - Asheran (Unique Stoner/Sludge/Prog blend. They capture some of the best elements of both genres)
Malokarpatan - Nordkarpatenland (Fast paced, high energy thrashy Black/Folk)
Venenum - Trance of Death (Psychedelic Death. Twisted riffs.)
Nokturnal Mortum - Істина (Folk/Black, this one is rather thick on the folk, some might find it a little over-saturated)
Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness (Black/Speed, rather short album but crazy full of hooky riffs)
Heilung - LIFA Live Show (Non-metal - Neofolk but has some harsh vocals and heavy as fuck for using only traditional instruments)
Electric Moon - Stardust Rituals (Non-metal - Trippy Mellow Psych/Space Rock)

Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice (Doom/Black/Drone. My AOTY so far)
Necrophobic - Mark Of The Necrogram (Melodic Black/Death)
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy (Prog/Tech Death. Super catchy and fun)
Thy Catafalque - Geometria (Experimental/Avant Garde. Very bizarre melodies)
Bong - Thought and Existence (Drone/Psych, repetitive but solid)

Last edited:
Not all BM, but a decent portion is...

The Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia (Black/Doom/Folk, crazy hypnotic heavy shit with chanting. My AOTY)
Dvne - Asheran (Unique Stoner/Sludge/Prog blend. They capture some of the best elements of both genres)
Malokarpatan - Nordkarpatenland (Fast paced, high energy thrashy Black/Folk)
Venenum - Trance of Death (Psychedelic Death. Twisted riffs.)
Nokturnal Mortum - Істина (Folk/Black, this one is rather thick on the folk, some might find it a little over-saturated)
Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness (Black/Speed, rather short album but crazy full of hooky riffs)
Heilung - LIFA Live Show (Non-metal - Neofolk but has some harsh vocals and heavy as fuck for using only traditional instruments)
Electric Moon - Stardust Rituals (Non-metal - Trippy Mellow Psych/Space Rock)

Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice (Doom/Black/Drone. My AOTY so far)
Necrophobic - Mark Of The Necrogram (Melodic Black/Death)
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy (Prog/Tech Death. Super catchy and fun)
Thy Catafalque - Geometria (Experimental/Avant Garde. Very bizarre melodies)
Bong - Thought and Existence (Drone/Psych, repetitive but solid)

Cheers! The sludge/drone stuff definitely won't be my thing. I haven't checked out Ruins of Beverast for a while, if they have evolved a bit I will be excited to hear. I have the previous two albums from Thy Catafalque as well and find them very intriguing on initial listens but they don't age well. As you say, some odd melodies but perhaps a lack of compositional tact or depth.

This Heilung one piques my interest too - I am a massive Elend fan so I am imagining something a bit similar?

Cheers! The sludge/drone stuff definitely won't be my thing. I haven't checked out Ruins of Beverast for a while, if they have evolved a bit I will be excited to hear. I have the previous two albums from Thy Catafalque as well and find them very intriguing on initial listens but they don't age well. As you say, some odd melodies but perhaps a lack of compositional tact or depth.

This Heilung one piques my interest too - I am a massive Elend fan so I am imagining something a bit similar?

I'm not familiar with Elend, but Ruins of Beverast and Heilung are both quite ritualistic sounding and incredibly hypnotic. Both have a tribal/shamanistic vibe but without coming off as inauthentic, you feel like you're witnessing a ritual before a paleolithic hunt, etc.

Fair enough on the sludge/drone stuff. Urfaust might have enough black/doom to not turn you off though.

So I see Candelabrum is releasing a new album. They're one of maybe two of the uber rare release black metal bands I really care about today and one of the rare dungeon synth black metal bands I really like.

old grainy vampire movies and walks in the darkness....