Black Metal.

U.S. Tour Cancelled

Season of Mist, Thunderdome Booking and Decibel magazine have announced the cancellation of MAYHEM's "Deconsecrate the States" 2007 U.S. tour that was scheduled to launch in July.

During his recent stint across the U.S. with fellow Norwegian countrymen DIMMU BORGIR, MAYHEM drummer Hellhammer suffered an unfortunate and serious injury to his right limb. It is impossible for him to play any time soon as he is currently scheduling surgery and will need rest and rehabilitation in order to heal his impaired arm. Being such an indispensable part of the band, fellow members Necrobutcher, Blasphemer and Attila realized that they are not complete without him and had no choice but to cancel this current U.S. jaunt.

The band have issued this statement, "The power of MAYHEM must come at full force and without Hellhammer, it is impossible for us to accomplish this feat. We deeply regret having to cancel the tour but we feel that there truly was no other option. We shall however return stronger than ever to deconsecrate your shores as soon as humanly possible!"

I wonder what happened.

So I listened to the Sapthuran/Leviathan split today. Here are my thoughts on it.

Sapthuran goes first and plays repetitive, melodic black metal. There are two real songs and on acoustic instrumental. The songs are alright, but there's something missing. They are repetitive, which can work in black metal, but the riffs are not structured in a way for the repetition to have an effect. I think if he had spent a little more time and came up with maybe 1-2 more riffs per song, the main melodic riffs he uses would have greater impact, as in the Transylvanian Hunger for instance.

The Leviathan side as I expected was very good. Not quite as good as the two masterpieces that composed the Wrest's side of Xasthur/Leviathan but still excellent. In stark contrast to Sapthuran, there is a real sense of dynamics here. The mood ranges from angry and hostile to sad and mournful. One of my favorite moments is the bass solo in Odious Convulsions. There is plenty of variation and creativity which keeps these songs interesting throughout. Also, as in Xasthur/Leviathan Wrest uses this tremulous keyboard sound that really brings out the emotions. This side of the split is basically worth the entire cost of the CD.

So I listened to the Sapthuran/Leviathan split today. Here are my thoughts on it.

Sapthuran goes first and plays repetitive, melodic black metal. There are two real songs and on acoustic instrumental. The songs are alright, but there's something missing. They are repetitive, which can work in black metal, but the riffs are not structured in a way for the repetition to have an effect. I think if he had spent a little more time and came up with maybe 1-2 more riffs per song, the main melodic riffs he uses would have greater impact, as in the Transylvanian Hunger for instance.

The Leviathan side as I expected was very good. Not quite as good as the two masterpieces that composed the Wrest's side of Xasthur/Leviathan but still excellent. In stark contrast to Sapthuran, there is a real sense of dynamics here. The mood ranges from angry and hostile to sad and mournful. One of my favorite moments is the bass solo in Odious Convulsions. There is plenty of variation and creativity which keeps these songs interesting throughout. Also, as in Xasthur/Leviathan Wrest uses this tremulous keyboard sound that really brings out the emotions. This side of the split is basically worth the entire cost of the CD.

Sapthuran is amazing.