Black Metal.

I'm also a bit biased because I enjoy raw, primitive black metal more than avant-garde/progressive black metal. I'll take Darkthrone over Bal-Sagoth any day.

Bal-Sagoth are hardly black metal anyway. The first album is quite rawer.

um, i heard an ildjarn album the other day. it was a two diker called landscapes.

now if you like BM i more power to ya, i totally respect that. if you like other types of music, that awesome. BUT WHAT THE HELL IS LANDSCAPES?!?!?! how does that even count as metal? i heard that ildjarn was supposed to be one of the best black metal bands around, and i get a repetitive, no drums, no bass no vocals, no guitar... i dot know what to call it!!! its all the same! AND I LISTENED TO THE WHOLE THING TO REALLY SEE IF IT WAS ALL THE SAME TOO! AGGGGH! AND NOW THE SHIFT KEY IS STUCK! WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG?!

You heard a song that was entirely keyboards, the ambient material. Listen to any song from Det Frysende Nordariket.

edit: I still like the ambient records. Good falling asleep music.

and you have an ildjarn avatar!
Det Frysende Nordariket? are you trying to tell me that not all thier releases are like that? cuz that restores some of my faith in metal.probally wont check that out, im still recovering from landscapes.

Uh yeah that's what I'm telling you. The best albums are some ace raw black metal.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard anyone say anything positive about the new Deathspell except "it's really good, man". Not a single reason. Not that one should feel compelled to explain why they like something, but maybe if someone who liked it actually talked about the album it would help me understand. Otherwise I am almost inclined to think that people like it just because it's a new Deathspell album, though I should know better than that.

Some people won't get this, since they don't actually own the album, but this album benefits from the booklet more than just about any album I can think of. But still, the production ruins this album more than anything I can think of in any genre of metal ever. It is just really bad. It is so hard to hear the rhythm guitars. Compared to the very clear production of Inquisitors, SMRC, Kenose, Mass Grave Aesthetics, and Diabolicus Absconditus, this is terrible.

No one ever talks about the MGA and DA tracks, but that's how to do the type of metal that was largely featured on the new album. They like to do those proggy jam parts. You can see on these songs. That style has a lot of untapped potential. I don't know of any bands doing that stuff.

I really need more time to analyze Fas - Ite. It's really dense and hard to make sense of right now.

I would also probably like the album a lot more if I could hear the guitars. I fucking love loud drums when they sound good, but these don't sound good. I don't know who was in charge of mixing the album, but whoever had the idea to make the snare and cymbals by far the loudest instruments should be shot, because it basically sounds like shit no matter how good the drummer is. Not to mention, the entire upper midrange and treble is consumed by the percussion. Not cool.

Oh, and I agree, there is untapped potential in this style. Untapped, because they absolutely did not, in my opinion, tap it with this album.

I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised and there are some leftover songs that make it on to some splits/compilations/an EP.

What I really liked about Kenose was how well each song tied in with the others. Every one made use of the same melody construction of four ascending notes. (Check the first heavy riff on I, outro picking on I, intro to II, intro to III. All seems to be the same.) I don't find the same unity on the new album. It's too bad the production is making things like this difficult to find.

Because of the band's track record, I expect there to be marvelous things hidden in the record, but I'm worried I won't ever find them.

I did think track four was the best of the album, especially the last six or so minutes of it. I was expecting an entire album of this, so I was disappointed.

MasterOLightning, what do you think about the ambient/progressive interludes in every song? Are there any you specifically like or dislike? In general? Do you find them "genius" or "boring and pointless"?

I ask because you clearly know your DsO and have given the new album more than a couple listens.

The last few times through the album have been on LP, so I'd have a hard time giving specific times right now. I'll have to get back to you on this. I don't really want to give a final judgment on the album so soon, as I was finding new things on Kenose after dozens of listens. The general feeling I get from the album is that everything is very rushed, from the very fast riffing and drumming, to the interludes that aren't properly developed. It seems like they're trying to be extreme for the sake of being extreme.

I'll play through things again tomorrow and give a better analysis. I suspect that the photos in the booklet give relevance to these seemingly random ambient parts.

The last few times...

I'll play through things again tomorrow and give a better analysis. I suspect that the photos in the booklet give relevance to these seemingly random ambient parts.
Fair enough. I await your analysis.

I don't think much of that booklet idea. The music should be able to stand on it's own. No amount of pictures or text will make up for pointless music, to me. Maybe thisisaformicatable will like it. :lol:

As I stated before, this album shouldn't be viewed in the same light as a regular black metal release. It's best to let the music wash over you instead of follow guitar lines or what have you. The overall feeling on this album is so chaotic and immense, I love it. I will say that with repeated listens more of the guitar and bass work will become apparent and it only helps to strengthen the album.

So did you, bitches, know that Make A Change...Kill Yourself produced their new album II?