Black Metal.

I suppose an essential album would be providing things you can't get anywhere else.

If this statement were true, then any band that is "worshipped", such as Darkthrone or Burzum, would lose its essentiality, because you can find the same kind of music elsewhere.

Assuming that isn't true causes the dilemma of defining essentiality, because originality can equal essentialty, but that doesn't mean it cannot be surpassed by a copy-cat who succeeds with a superior album.

I don't. I don't get what the big deal is with that band anyway.

I was using it as an example.

Speaking of whom, where's a good place to start album-wise with Satyricon?

Start with Dark Medieval Times and then get Nemesis Divina. If you like DMT better, get The Shadowthrone. If you like Nemesis Divina better, then move forward chronologically (while eventually picking up The Shadowthrone) until you've completed their discography. Also be sure to pick up the Satyricon/Enslaved split, especially if you prefer their pre-Nemesis material.

^That;s kinda like saying Bathory is the essential black metal over Emperor or Darkthrone because they came first. Even newer modern black metal that may not be that original but can make great music can be considered essential.

I think the argument here is if it is more essential to own the history of the genre or the best music of the genre, or if they are one and the same. I feel that the best music, while having significant overlap with the originators, should be more essential.

Somebody please explain to me why a band cannot release an "essential" album just because it wasn't innovative.

I can totally respect and understand where you are coming from. Taken in its proper context, an innovator is far more essential than a follower.

People praise bands like Deathspell Omega to no end, but can something like SMRC really be considered essential over something like Under the Sign of the Black Mark or A Blaze in the Northern Sky?

Do you believe opinions should hold claim over something being essential?

I think the argument here is if it is more essential to own the history of the genre or the best music of the genre, or if they are one and the same. I feel that the best music, while having significant overlap with the originators, should be more essential.

I'm sure this statement can apply to all genres of metal, all genres of music itself if you think about it.

Do you believe opinions should hold claim over something being essential?

Originality is a more tangible quality than opinion-based merit, therefore many people cling to the former. To give praise to the followers over the innovators is to remove most concrete evidence of superiority and then rely on a subjective quality.

Start with Dark Medieval Times and then get Nemesis Divina. If you like DMT better, get The Shadowthrone. If you like Nemesis Divina better, then move forward chronologically (while eventually picking up The Shadowthrone) until you've completed their discography. Also be sure to pick up the Satyricon/Enslaved split, especially if you prefer their pre-Nemesis material.

*takes notes.*

God I love this board.

I hope to God you have broadband when you move back to college.

In the meantime, the quote function works better than typing carrots.
I will have DSL/High Speed when I move back in this Saturday. I'd use quotes but it takes too much time normally and these carrots will work until then.

^I seen Nachtmystium is on Century Media Records today when I looked at their profile on the Metal Archives, does that mean Insticnt Decay was distributed by Century Media? Cause if so, it may be easier to buy.

Originality is a more tangible quality than opinion-based merit, therefore many people cling to the former. To give praise to the followers over the innovators is to remove most concrete evidence of superiority and then rely on a subjective quality.

But to do that also takes away the impact the originator had at the time. A Blaze in the Northern Sky would have little to no impact today, same with Reign in Blood, Seven Churches, Scream Bloody Gore, Blood Fire Death, etc. To rob those pieces of history of their context and compare them to contemporary works with polished productions and pro tools is doing a disservice to them and yourself.

I understand that metal newbies who think Job for a Cowboy and Drudkh created death/black metal will have a hard time with this. I'm saying innovation equals essential, not necessarily better, though the innovators are usually better due to the purity and the spirit. Looking at my collection, it's hard determining something truly essential (genre-defining) that was not an innovator.

Art is only as good as the ideas it presents, which is why Zephyrus is wrong.

Satyricon never really did anything truly worthwhile, they only produced some above average black metal with some flutes. Hardly "essential".

And J:

Burzum less so? Bloody hell, are you on crack?! Burzum is a absolutely quintessential black metal band, and never think otherwise!

How can those aside from the ones presenting the ideas determine how "good" the ideas are though? Musical quality isn't something that can be proven empirically.