Black Metal.

i dont give a shit about influence, the fact is that the bands that innovated are typically just better than those that followed. there are exceptions to this, and where it's the case i wouldn't consider an influential band that has been surpassed to be 'essential'. venom is influential, but not essential imo. same with von and sarcofago. i probably couldnt say mayhem aren't essential, but i would certain de-emphasize their essentiality relative to the other norwegian 2nd wave bands for the same reason.

i guess this is easier for me though because i'm listening for very specific qualities of complex melodicism and structure in my black metal whereas some of you just want to hear some evil sounding dissonant shit which explains why boring bands like blut aus nord or peste noire can even be respected i guess

Excellent post! Everyone, take note!

yeah, Deathspell is so fucking overrated!

:rolleyes:

Art is only as good as the ideas it presents, which is why Zephyrus is wrong.

Satyricon never really did anything truly worthwhile, they only produced some above average black metal with some flutes. Hardly "essential".

And J:

Burzum less so? Bloody hell, are you on crack?! Burzum is a absolutely quintessential black metal band, and never think otherwise!

Great post all up, all points are right on the dot.

i dont give a shit about influence, the fact is that the bands that innovated are typically just better than those that followed. there are exceptions to this, and where it's the case i wouldn't consider an influential band that has been surpassed to be 'essential'. venom is influential, but not essential imo. same with von and sarcofago. i probably couldnt say mayhem aren't essential, but i would certain de-emphasize their essentiality relative to the other norwegian 2nd wave bands for the same reason.

i guess this is easier for me though because i'm listening for very specific qualities of complex melodicism and structure in my black metal whereas some of you just want to hear some evil sounding dissonant shit which explains why boring bands like blut aus nord or peste noire can even be respected i guess

Benji I think this is the best post I have ever seen you write! Well said.

i can hardly argue theres anything objectively wrong with it but i dont think it really reflects well on you as a person or music listener either. not that theres any reason you should care what i think.

i can hardly argue theres anything objectively wrong with it but i dont think it really reflects well on you as a person or music listener either. not that theres any reason you should care what i think.

I am discerning as a listener, but not to the point where I condescend and refuse to listen to bands that are not "objectively good". I don't think being an elitist reflects well on your as a person/music listener either.

drudkh > deathspell
burzum > deathspell
satyricon > deathspell
Immortal > deathspell
abigor > deathspell
graveland > deathspell
kataxu > deathspell
Kroda > deathspell
Nokturnal Mortum > deathspell
Urskumug > deathspell
taunusheim > deathspell
taake > deathspell
poccolus > deathspell
Odal > deathspell
old behemoth > deathspell
old Manegarm > deathspell

and yet they are talked about more than any other bm band on here.

^Blut Aus Nord is talked about a lot too, I heard a song from them todaqy and it wasnt spectacular, just decent, I couldnt even make outthe riffs.

I am discerning as a listener, but not to the point where I condescend and refuse to listen to bands that are not "objectively good". I don't think being an elitist reflects well on your as a person/music listener either.

i dont believe in "objectively good"

^Blut Aus Nord is talked about a lot too, I heard a song from them todaqy and it wasnt spectacular, just decent, I couldnt even make outthe riffs.

Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God is pure musical genius. That album is beyond ANY album you can name in metal music, in terms of music theory.

Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God is pure musical genius. That album is beyond ANY album you can name in metal music, in terms of music theory.

Here we go again with over-the-top claims. I thought Dave hadn't posted in this thread in awhile?

Here we go again with over-the-top claims. I thought Dave hadn't posted in this thread in awhile?

I am not Dave.

I get worked up over a few bands. Maybe it was I thought that Blut Aus Nord was not getting enough form Bluewizards.

By the way, I see you like Urfaust. Where should I start with them.

I am not Dave.

I get worked up over a few bands. Maybe it was I thought that Blut Aus Nord was not getting enough form Bluewizards.

By the way, I see you like Urfaust. Where should I start with them.

The Dave comment was merely meant as a joke.

Regarding Urfaust start with "Geist ist Teufel" and then move on to "Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist". Both are outstanding. The splits and early demo may be worth checking out as well, though I have not heard them yet so I can't really recommend them.

The Dave comment was merely meant as a joke.

Regarding Urfaust start with "Geist ist Teufel" and then move on to "Verräterischer, Nichtswürdiger Geist". Both are outstanding. The splits and early demo may be worth checking out as well, though I have not heard them yet so I can't really recommend them.

They use clean singing right?