Black Metal.

"satyricon > deathspell"

As much as I once loved Satyricon, I wouldn't go that far... I recently re-listened to their discography and this band is popular for no reason really... they have some goods songs but nothing to get crazy about.... and they sounds pretty cheesy if you ask me.

Enslaved is a far more superior band which produced excellent releases.... even in post-2000 with Mardraum and Monumension.

"satyricon > deathspell"

As much as I once loved Satyricon, I wouldn't go that far... I recently re-listened to their discography and this band is popular for no reason really... they have some goods songs but nothing to get crazy about.... and they sounds pretty cheesy if you ask me.

Enslaved is a far more superior band which produced excellent releases.... even in post-2000 with Mardraum and Monumension.

You are on my good list. Great post.

Is Neige a guy. He sounds like a girl on the new Alcest record and looks like a girl in some photos.

Horna's Discography is just fucking ridiculous.

Varjoissa Demo, 1995
Hiidentorni Demo, 1997
Hiidentorni Full-length, 1997
Kohti Yhdeksän Nousua Full-length, 1998
Whispered Myths Split, 1999
Perimä Vihassa Ja Verikostossa EP, 1999
Sota EP, 1999
Haudankylmyyden Mailla Full-length, 1999
Hiidentorni / Perimä Vihassa Ja Verikostossa Best of/Compilation, 2000
Horna / Musta Surma Split, 2000
Sudentaival Full-length, 2001
Musta Surma / Horna Split, 2002
Korpin Hetki EP, 2002
Risti Ja Ruoska EP, 2002
Horna / Desolation Triumphalis Split, 2003
Horna/Ouroboros Split, 2003
Viha Ja Viikate EP, 2003
Ordo Regnum Sathanas Best of/Compilation, 2004
Horna/Woods of Infinity Split, 2004
Talismaani EP, 2004
Black Metal Warfare Live album, 2004
Horna / Behexen Split, 2004
Vuohipaimen EP, 2004
Vihan Vuodet Split, 2005
Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne Full-length, 2005
Goatfucking Gent/Vivicomburium Split, 2005
Horna/Tenebrae In Perpetuum Split, 2005
Horna/Blackdeath Split, 2005
Ilman Arvoa Ja Arkkua/Kinaidos Split, 2006
Kun Synkkä Ikuisuus Avautuu Demo, 2006
Ääniä Yössä Full-length, 2006
Horna/Sacrificia Mortuorum Split, 2006
Sotahuuto Full-length, 2007
Horna / Peste Noire Split, 2007
Pimeyden Hehku EP, 2007

...i'm listening for very specific qualities of complex melodicism and structure in my black metal...
And this should be the measure of objective quality in black metal because...

Or wait, are we giving up on discussing "essential" and just going back to throwing our personal favourites at each other?

Now, define "Quality".
I expect this to be in thisisaformicatable's bag o' arguments
Quality music is music containing characteristics that we agree are desirable, and is therefore relative but not necessarily subjective.

I am listening to Deathspell Omega - SMRC for the first time right now and I'm not getting much out of it right now. I hope it grows on me.

Edit: As I listen more I can definitely tell this is a grower. I won't give up on it

It takes several listens to cut your way through all the chaos, but those lead guitar melodies are there, and you'll find more each time.

I'm glad you're expanding your black metal tastes beyond the bands with instantly accessible melodies, such as all the USBM you've been into.

On an unrelated note, I'm really digging the new Abigor album, Fractal Possession. Listening to it a few times I've gotten used to the more avant-garde aspects of it and the eccentricities seem to fall into place more and more. I wouldn't recommend this album to those with low tolerance for "new spins on black metal", especially with modern productions and unconventional elements.

As far as the "essential" and "quality" argument goes, I merely resort to the expert opinion line of thought, that expert being me. And I never implied that "essential" (used loosely) couldn't apply to a band following the ideas of others, just that Satyricon wasn't, and most others are not as well.

"satyricon > deathspell"

Yeah, no way. SMRC > Transylvanian Hunger. So there is no way Satyricon can match DsO.

One is the epitome of simplicity in Black Metal, the other the epitome of complexity (speaking more so for Fas..., but close enough).

On an unrelated note, I'm really digging the new Abigor album, Fractal Possession. Listening to it a few times I've gotten used to the more avant-garde aspects of it and the eccentricities seem to fall into place more and more. I wouldn't recommend this album to those with low tolerance for "new spins on black metal", especially with modern productions and unconventional elements.
Yeah, awesome release by the band. Kind of a surprise to me that I actually like it.

On yet a different note, does anyone else here fucking hate the vocalist for Master's Hammer? I don't really like anything about The Jilemnice Occultist, but Ritual would be an excellent album if it weren't for the damn vocals. They really ruin it. He sounds like a dying troll or something.