Black Metal.

At J.: Why do yuo not consider Satyricon essential? Nemesis Divina is really good, eevrything I heard off Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone were great.

Werent Satyricon one of the first to use synths and non-traditional black metal instruments into black metal? And they started recording black metal about the same time as Emperor so it wasnt that late, it did post-date Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, and Burzum though. Adn Dark Medieval Time is hailed as an underrated black metal classic, how is that album not essential?

Werent Satyricon one of the first to use synths and non-traditional black metal instruments into black metal? And they started recording black metal about the same time as Emperor so it wasnt that late, it did post-date Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, and Burzum though. Adn Dark Medieval Time is hailed as an underrated black metal classic, how is that album not essential?

No. Taake was writing music in Norway around 1992 but that does make them apart of the True... scene. They just made a friendship with Fenriz. That is the real reason why the called essential.

^So if I like Satyricon I'll likely like Taake? I havent heard Taake yet.

Well Taake is not like Satyricon, but Taake is VERY good. Host has some amazing ideas. Start with Nattestid Ser Porten Vid. There is a bit of folk injected in there. As I think about it, Taake does sound a bit like "Dark Medieval Times " era-Satyricon. To me Taake is one of the better of Norway's black metal bands.

At J.: Why do yuo not consider Satyricon essential? Nemesis Divina is really good, eevrything I heard off Dark Medieval Times and The Shadowthrone were great.

I simply do not think those albums can compare to the greats by Immortal, Emperor, Darkthrone, Graveland or Enslaved. I own the three you mentioned and yes, they are good, but by no means essential when one wants to find the core of the 2nd wave.

I did not like Taake.

I simply do not think those albums can compare to the greats by Immortal, Emperor, Darkthrone, Graveland or Enslaved. I own the three you mentioned and yes, they are good, but by no means essential when one wants to find the core of the 2nd wave.

I did not like Taake.

Why is that. I found Taake to excel in what I thought lacked in Graveland.

taake is one of those bands that get praised by people with no attention to detail for incorporating folk music into black metal, ignoring that folk music was an implicit influence on nearly all the norwegian second wave bands + graveland, right

Graveland, Immortal, Emperor, Enslaved, Darkthrone are essential. Satyricon is not.

My Taake comment was totally separate. But while I'm at it: Taake is not essential. I failed to see what Host brought to the table that had not been done already, however well executed it might be.

taake is one of those bands that get praised by people with no attention to detail for incorporating folk music into black metal, ignoring that folk music was an implicit influence on nearly all the norwegian second wave bands + graveland, right

I was about to write this.

Graveland perfected the use of folk melodies with Thousand Swords back in 1995, and an argument can be made for Bergtatt in '94.

For recent black metal with folk melodies, look no further than Sigrblot.

Mathiäs;6440095 said:
Since when do you decide essentiality? :Smug:

It began that time I saw a little kid buying a piece of shit album (actually I think it was Satyricon) in the store and pointed him in the direction of quality metal. Since that moment I decided I should decide what is essential so you poor folks don't buy shit.

Think of me as your friend helping you along on your metal journey.

It began that time I saw a little kid buying a piece of shit album (actually I think it was Satyricon) in the store and pointed him in the direction of quality metal. Since that moment I decided I should decide what is essential so you poor folks don't buy shit.

oh ok

I like to do this when hanging around in the metal section at stores. I have enlightened many a budding (and even experienced) metalhead in the past.