Black Metal.

Thoth, I respect your opinion. I feel like the kid in the "Emperors new clothes". When I listen to Burzum all I hear is rubbish under produced primitive garbage. WTF am I failing to hear ?

Thanks!
Well I was already a big fan of minimalistic classical composers like Glass, Part, et al. so the transition to minimalist metal was really a no-brainer for me.
Burzum for me is about building an atmosphere... or a trance-like state. To do that Varg uses very simple riffs, lots of repetition and raw hazy prodcution. So if you go into Burzum expecting Deicide like riffs or Slayer prodcution you go in with the wrong expectations. If you listen to Burzum with the intent of zoning out then the music makes more sense. My first exposure to Burzum was the first album. I really wasn't impressed at all with that one initially. Then I got Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and was blown away. That one really connected with me. After getting the other albums I revisited the first Burzum album and it grew on me.

The Dark Funeral 1st EP sounds like Necrophobic done simpler, a lot like early Belial. After that, they become melodic stuff that sounds like Metallica faster, more melodic, with a simpler harmonic (half-step variance) structure. Avoid.

I agree with this; the vocalist sounds like he's shouting hoarsely, and in a bad way, like his throat is about to collapse.
I like Emperor Magus Caligula better than the older guy, he really sounded good on Diabolus Interium, I plan on getitng Secrets of The Black Arts soon though.

Black metal has always struck me as a rather backwards genre, both musically and philosophically, in many ways, from the nonsensical adherence to low-quality production values to the advocacy of immature and naïve ethical systems. Bands such as Alcest and Solefald are thankfully dragging the genre out of the gutter, though it does trouble me somewhat that such fine artists would have listened to enough of the stuff to be influenced by it initially.

People who put too much weight on things such as production and exoteric philosophies have always struck me as idiots, too inept to grasp greater, more important aspects of music, such as structural soundness, sublime beauty in death and the darker sides of life and innovativeness.

The newer generation of pretentious, politically correct pseudo-intellectuals are the ones most guilty of this; having experienced metal firstly through bands such as Opeth and Dream Theatre, thus thinking they have somehow 'grasped' metal on a higher level than the rest of us, when in reality, it is actually quite opposite. Alcest and Solefald are completely worthless on all levels, having contributed NOTHING to the greater scheme of things, and that is a objective fact.

enslaved_ruun.jpg

I just picked this up today. I need to give it a few more listens, but I like what I've heard so far. This is my first Enslaved album. Sounding quality. Hail!:kickass:

It's just funny that he used it as an example of one of the more prominent aspects of BM instead of something less silly sounding like "a dismal sound to invoke morbidity, etc".

I dunno. Go die Matt.

It's actually completely retarded to think what that guy is thinking, but there are better ways to convince someone rather than use stupid fantastical reasoning like that. Black metal IS a very deep and involved genre, with lots of history, and, from what I see as a modern listener, a bright future, but I think in order to reach that future, we probably need to let the past go a little bit (at a time, if need be).

So I hear that Behemoth was once a black metal band. Is the stuff from this era worth looking into?

YES. I highly recommend you check out Grom. The thunderous guitar riffs just storm with hate and passion and brilliantly reflect the dark pride of the fatherland that Behemoth once exercised through their black metal hymns.