Black Metal.

Well, you're allowed to disagree :) I just see it differently.

EDIT: I prefer the "absorb then practice" approach, "build your knowledge, then use your knowledge". That's not to say "do your degree, your masters, then ask questions", but more so to query efficiently.

Okay, back to music:

I've finally uploaded a track from Hekel's debut album "De Dodenvaart".

hekel-dedodensvaart.jpg

Mid-paced Black Metal in the vein of Burzum, Weakling, Xasthur to a lesser extent. Repetitious, yet chilling and ponderous. Highly recommended, I can't get enough of this album.

Grab the song here.

Blodårstid review here.

Okay something for Zephyrus especially, but for all of you as well :)

Kataxu hail from Poland, and unfortunately, this is a NSBM band. Their lyrics on the album Hunger of Elements do not seem to revolve around their political persuasion (thank god, it's SO childish).

9488.jpg

Hunger of Elements, as its cover art suggests, resolves around the cosmic, space and time. The music also backs this up: imagine Emperor but with far more sweeping, epic-scale compositions, a thicker sound and stronger vocals. HOWEVER!!! ...

... Do not be confused here: the trajectory is far different from Emperor, it is only the core characteristics of keys and drumming which play similarities, and Kataxu has much more energy imo. I personally do not find Kataxu "strictly" symphonic, it seems to rise above this by limiting melody to longer sweeps, containing it and allowing it to breathe through each composition and simultaneously provide its foundation.

The core of the songwriting is strongly based on traditional black metal techniques, with occasional bridges of restrained melody, surrounded by what seems a universe itself created by keyboards. Fucking brilliant, mighty in strength like seeing millions of colours into a nebula.

A wanky description, but honestly I can't describe it another way. It's THAT big: imagine the biggest storm of lightning and multiply by 10. Played loud enough, and I guarantee you will tremble in awe. Parts of this album even reminded me of Vangelis' sweeping spacial work on the Blade Runner score, whether this is an influence for Kataxu, I have no idea (and as a sidenote, if you haven't heard the Blade Runner score, I highly suggest you do something about it!).

This album is definitely on my buying list, thank god they're now signed to Supernal.

Enjoy - the first track, "In my Dungeon!" from the 2005 album "Hunger of Elements". CRANK it right up, will crush your skulls and drop your jaws! :kickass:

Review here.

EDIT: and for those who missed my previous page post:

I've finally uploaded a track from Hekel's debut album "De Dodenvaart".

hekel-dedodensvaart.jpg

Brilliant mid-paced Black Metal in the vein of Burzum, Weakling, Xasthur to a lesser extent. Repetitious, yet chilling and ponderous. Highly recommended, I can't get enough of this album.

Grab the song here.

Blodårstid review here.

^ I will give him that and it is admirable for someone so young. Still, too young to have expanded out from his readings yet ... point being that he shouldn't be making points in objection as much as asking questions to expand and develop his opinion.

It is not to say that because of his age he should not express opinions, but more so that questioning to add further knowledge should be primary and objection secondary: add knowledge and then execute.

By the time he's 25, he will definitely have formed well developed and informed opinions for sure. As before moogle, no offence was meant. I hope what I'm trying to get across makes sense.

What is to say I am not more knowledgeable than yourself "even" at this age? What the hell is too young? Is this some kind of attempt to say we are all equal mentally, hence age is an acceptable way to measure worth? Now that makes sense.

I suppose if you haven't yet learned something as simple as the fact that an individual can advance in understanding and knowledge at a young age to surpass most that are of a greater age than that individual, then you are the one that should not be stating opinions, but rather asking questions.

You do understand that I could have wrote "30" in my age block, and then you would have taken an entirely different approach, respecting my opinions as I am that "oh-so-amazing adult age"? Do you see the lack of logic? Don't judge based on age with no reason to do such, that is an ignorant and idiotic prejudice. I think it is clear here who is still the child.

So surely I'm not the first to notice that black metal seems to be undergoing some sort of revitalization, and 1349 doesn't count. For the past two or three years there have been lesser-known bands, some subscribing completely to all of the cliches and trappings of the genre, some not, ripping enormous holes in the very fabric of black metal as it has been known since Norway. Refreshingly, and although most of these bands come from the underground, "kvlt" ranks, Darkthrone imitation has been kept to a(n obligatory) minimum. I distinctly remember some five or so years ago when the bm releases over which everybody was masturbating that weren't A): all-out norsecore (the only band that's allowed to do this is Marduk); B): uninspired trad/death hybrids dressed up like black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child); or C): moonfog assembly line products were all 1991-1995 era Darkthrone clones, and while some of those records were certainly exceptional (Clandestine Blaze, Satanic Warmaster, Deathspell Omega, Horna, etc.), I, and I'm sure most of you, had heard it all too many times before. This, to me, was most distressing, as I had always looked at black metal as the future and savior of extreme metal: I saw few releases by death metal bands really accomplishing anything new and worthwhile, and the whole trad/power metal revival should have never happened anyway. Because of all of this, I until recently had completely forsaken any new releases, and mostly kept to my personal classics of the previous decade (and some from the first years of this one.)

Then all of a sudden did bands begin crawling up from the lower, less-visible divisions from countries that had seldom produced much such product in the past, i.e. France (excepting the black legions, who, as an aside, varied between brilliance and complete crap), the Ukraine and eastern Europe, and the States, to name a few. I think it was upon hearing France's Blut Aus Nord's massive The Work Which Transforms God that my faith in this music was restored. Think what you may about this band, but that record was incredible, and completely unprecedented in metal or in music in general. I was completely blown away, to say the least. Then there was Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice, which was pretty fucking innovative as well and it stuck, to an extent, to the tried and true format that the elitists love so much. One minor release that I found particularly strong was Alcest's EP Le Secret, from 2005 I think: mellow black metal somewhat reminiscent of Bergtatt, yet even more seamless and flowing (literally and figuratively.) Then there's Drudkh, who are easily one of the greatest black metal band's fucking ever. Every release is phenomenal, each better than the next, and as far as I'm concerned they cannot be touched; one can only hope that they can outdo themselves yet again after Blood in Our Wells. Somewhat along the same lines, Negura Bunget is crafting some truly well-written, transcendental black metal the likes of which I haven't heard in a very, very long time. And I can't forget Nortt, who are hardly even black metal these days, but Gudsforladt was essentially doom-paced Burzum.

There are still some bands making worthwhile, traditional black metal, and who are worth mentioning because, despite the orthodoxy, the songwriting is so amazingly fucking strong, and unsurprisingly, they're from Scandinavia. Here, of course, I'm referring to Sweden's Watain and Casus Luciferi, who made even the mainstream metal press sit up and shit, and Norway's Tsjuder. A personal favorite of mine has always been Craft, also from Sweden, despite a lot of press taking a hot, steaming shit all over "Fuck the Universe. Oh, and stubborn Finnish fucks Sargeist too, who destroyed my soul with Satanic Black Devotion.

But fuck me, if alot of these bands who are breathing new life into this much-beloved genre of mine aren't from my back doorstep. While some accuse his work of being too derivative from everything else he's ever done, Malefic's Xasthur is, for me, America's answer to Drudkh in terms of quality, atmosphere, and song-writing, especially his more recent output. I also was completely blown away by Velvet Cacoon's Genevieve, and despite all of the complete bullshit that comes from that camp, that release was what I always wanted Ildjarn to sound like in regards to hypnotic potential. However, in terms of terms of sheer off-the-fucking-charts innovation, Leviathan takes home the (black) medal. Either The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide or Tentacles of Whorror are must-haves, though I tend to prefer the former, it having become something of a personal classic.

I'm sure I left out some bands, but I think that those listed above are evidence enough that something good is going on with black metal again, finally. I'd really like to see what the rest of you think about this. Am I onto something, or just completely full of shit? I apologize for being so long-winded and writing an article as opposed to a thread.

Oh, and I'm new by the way. Howdy.

What is to say I am not more knowledgeable than yourself "even" at this age? What the hell is too young? Is this some kind of attempt to say we are all equal mentally, hence age is an acceptable way to measure worth? Now that makes sense.

I suppose if you haven't yet learned something as simple as the fact that an individual can advance in understanding and knowledge at a young age to surpass most that are of a greater age than that individual, then you are the one that should not be stating opinions, but rather asking questions.

You do understand that I could have wrote "30" in my age block, and then you would have taken an entirely different approach, respecting my opinions as I am that "oh-so-amazing adult age"? Do you see the lack of logic? Don't judge based on age with no reason to do such, that is an ignorant and idiotic prejudice. I think it is clear here who is still the child.

I've stated that I've reached the end of this "argument". Take the hint.

EDIT: In the last post I wrote, I actually tried to be somewhat in your favour, while still retaining my point. You've obviously failed to observe this. For the last time, I'm not delving into this any further.

Well, I wish I'd seen this bm thread before I started a new one, but whatever.

This is for Hubster: is that Kataxu record really as good as you make it sound? The last time I heard them was on a split with Thunderbolt some years ago, and I wasn't exactly impressed by either band, but Kataxu least of all. Surely they haven't matured to the extent that it seems given your opinion of Hunger of Elements. Then again, I'm sure my bias towards nsbm bands is showing through, because apart from a select few, those being solely from eastern Europe, they're all terrible.

a lot of people here are going to agree with you but personally while i can't deny there's been good releases it seems to me that most black metal fans are desperate to latch onto anything resembling a 'resurgence' in the genre, regardless of how favorably it compares to the classics of the 2nd wave (not that favorably imo)

Well, given the low quality of the releases of the more prominent bands over the last 10 (!) years, this black metal fan is more than happy to latch onto any cluster of outstanding records and call it a resurgence. Well-put, however, and point duly noted.

Something I forgot to mention, though, is that nothing will ever even come close to touching the brilliance of the initial bm explosion, Under a Funeral Moon and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Filosofem in particular. Now excuse me as I set aside mine soapbox.

^ It grew on me to be honest.

I didn't give Hunger of Elements much listening when I first got it, but recently it's really hit me - it's a very very good piece of work imo.

^ You should chuck these comments into the existing thread mate, some interesting points here.

EDIT: I might PM the mod, see if we can have these comments merged into the existing thread.

EDIT again: Done. Hopefully we'll see these comments in the original BM thread.