Black Metal.

I don't think that is a fair judgment or assumption to make. As far as we know, each album represents a certain statement; none of us can be sure so it's not really accurate to make that claim. There is also no rulebook saying bands can't put out more than one album a year or they are deserving of criticism. They self-release a lot of their stuff and self-releasing is faster/more efficient (and more expensive) than having a label do everything for you.

In addition, one or two of the "new" albums are re-releases.

damn. i havent listened to a black metal album in more than about 2 months. coincidentally, that's when i delved into trad doom heavily.

/useless post

Nor do I want to.

I just find it hard to believe that such a frequent output of albums can be of consistently high quality. Just look at Xasthur, who turned up the pace in order to get out of a record deal, and see the toll it took on his music. This band (which I won't dare to spell) could be a rare exception, but don't expect that releasing four albums in twelve months won't raise such speculations.

Scott does not have his own record label nor does he endeavor to release things himself. There is a difference between hurrying to fulfill a contract and recording a lot of quality material which you will put out yourself. And I'm not sure how much each is limited to, but it's probably not a huge amount like Moribund would do for Xasthur.

Also you missed my point about I believe 2 of them being re-releases of older works.

How is the Njiijn stuff, anything like Njiqahdda? I haven't heard any samples of it but was interested in checking it out.

Against Nature

Appease Full-length, 2005
Panoply Full-length, 2005
Pluperfect Single, 2006
Safe Dissonance Full-length, 2006
Ghosting Full-length, 2006
Leer Full-length, 2006
The Anxiety of Influence Full-length, 2007
Unfolded Full-length, 2007
Much in Little Full-length, 2008
Descend EP, 2008

I sure took my damn time checking out Nocturnal Graves. Satan's Cross is some awesome blackened thrash. Will be grabbing the vinyl version when I can spare the cash.

*Last year, and it's more Death Metal than anything else so it doesn't belong in this thread.