Black Metal.

Pick up Beyond the Wandering Moon, Dark Sorcery, and the Burning the Shroud compilation

I will check out the other two eventually, but probably not the compilation. Still need to get a hold of some Countess and Satanic Warmaster before these.

I guess I will have to check out Aeternus. I heard some Hate Forest last year and they are pretty sweet, I agree that they are a good bm band for a death metal person to get into. The vox really arent very black metalish.

Aeternus is great, but I can't seem to appreciate it to the level that some people here hold it to.

'...And So The Night Became' was a really good listen to me, has alot of folky clean interludes which i tend to really dig. 'Ill Dans' is an amazing song.

I listened to Alatyr during my jog today, that is some excellent stuff. Thanks to those who recommended it!

aeternus are so amazing, a just world would class them with the other norwegian greats, no hesitation. these albums are basically perfect for a death metaller getting into BM, i'd be hard pressed naming a more powerful deep growl in all of DM

Agreed with all points. I've always enjoyed their early material but it really clicked with me late last year. The first two full-lengths and the Dark Sorcery E.P quite easily rank among my all time favourites, especially ...And So the Night Became. It's immensely fucking powerful. I've also found high quality and hints of greatness in Shadows of Old (particularly 'Prophecy of the Elder Reign'). All in all, their early stuff is among the best extreme Metal has to offer.

i like 'beyond the wandering moon' slightly more than the other stuff, it's easily the most subtle and dense thing they ever did so people seem to find it less accessible, but the mood and imagery is so vivid, fantastic atmosphere. 'and so the night became' is just rousingly fucking epic beyond belief. all the early stuff is jampacked full of amazing melodies either way, even 'shadows of old' as you say, although that album's at its best when it reminds of the earlier albums so it isn't really necessary listening

I'm playing Marduk's DVD - Blood Puke Salvation, for the first time.

:worship:

Amazing setlist, the first disc comes with two gigs - Tilburg (Holland) with 13 songs and Antwerpen (Belgium), with seven songs.

Hell, the first one is just insane... they were fucking inspired that night. The sound is just great, well recorded and mixed, killer setlist, individual performances, everything. The new vocalist is fucking good (Mortuus), and they still had Emil on the Drums (new guy doesn't get even close).

Anyway, Tilburg's gig has the following setlist:

1 - Azrael
2 - Burn my Coffin
3 - With Satan and victorious weapons
4 - Perish in Flames
5 - Slay the Nazarene
6 - Sulphur Souls
7 - Panzer Division Marduk
8 - The Black
9 - Warschau
10 - Bleached Bones
11 - On Darkened Wings
12 - Throne of Rats
13 - Wolves

The second gig has only one different song - World Funeral.

Second disc has videos, interviews and behind the scenes (haven't seen it yet).

I understand few people in here like them, but this material is indeed great IMO. Perhaps you guys should give it a try. :cool:

Aeternus is one of those bands I want to fall in love with, but I just can't seem to understand the brilliance of a record like ...And So the Night Became. I've heard it around three times now, taking special note to pay attention to nothing but the album to truly absorb it, but I still can't consider it an essential album. I'm going to try the album out again in the near future and dissect every fucking bit of it to see what I am missing, because I'm sure something brilliant is right in front of my nose that I'm just oversighting.

You don't enjoy Varg's vocals? There are alot of black metal bands you're missing out that have unique vocal styles, they are all pretty interesting.
I do, just not as much as the others I mentioned. I like Maniac's, not into Nocturno Culto's, Attila's, Dead's, Pest's or Hat's too much, I either dont like them and can tolerate them or think they're ok.

you feel the same about 'beyond the wandering moon'?

I haven't listened to it nor given it near as much attention as ...And So the Night Became, but it felt a bit more cold, yet less epic and crushing than ...And So the Night Became. Like I said though, that is just what I gathered from a couple listens. I truly haven't heard it recently enough to state a solid opinion on it, to be honest.