Black Metal.

I think my missed my not-so-subtle reference to what Darkthrone themselves wrote:

"This LP stands beyond criticism, and any man who attempts to do so should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behaviour."

...or something like that, I can't be bothered to check right now. Obviously, all art ought to be susceptible to criticism, but the criticism needs to be valid. Offering criticism that is completely at odds with the artists' intent is just a waste of time.

i actually like things so repetitive that they go on almost forever with little change or slight build ups and variations. sometimes i wish Transilvania Hunger was one long song and twice as long.

I think my missed my not-so-subtle reference to what Darkthrone themselves wrote:

"This LP stands beyond criticism, and any man who attempts to do so should be thoroughly patronized for his obviously Jewish behaviour."

...or something like that, I can't be bothered to check right now. Obviously, all art ought to be susceptible to criticism, but the criticism needs to be valid. Offering criticism that is completely at odds with the artists' intent is just a waste of time.

Yeah I didn't think you were that righteous to stand behind that claim.

About artistic intent: perfection is in the eye of the creator. To all others it is purely interpretation, and it's irrelevant whether that interpretation agrees with the artist's intent. It's not a waste of time, it's a natural response that reveals the audience's preferences.

That's okay, since it's better with the drumming done the way it is that it would be if it had drums like Alatyr's cover version. Like what was said earlier, criticizing an artist for not doing something that goes against what they were trying to do doesn't make much sense.

That's why Alatyr did that cover. It's a substantiation of artistic interpretation by the audience. They presented what a song like "Transilvanian Hunger" would sound like depending on an interpretation different from the artist's own. It's great to accept one artist's vision. I certainly love "Transilvanian Hunger" the way it is. But I think it's equally pleasing to imagine, or even manifest, as Alatyr did, a variation on a theme.

Soulside Journey is a pure death metal album.

A Blaze in the Northern Sky worships old school Black Metal.

Under A Funeral Moon is less old school, and is pretty much the template for your typical "Darkthrone worship" band.

Transilvanian Hunger is extremely minimalistic, with only a few melodies per song, and no variation in drumming besides a sustained blast beat. The production is also the worst, but to an effect of course.

I haven't heard any of Panzerfaust but some people say it has a lot of Celtic Frost worship.

I can barely hear the drums on Transilvanian Hunger. And I thought Ulver's Nattens Madrigals's drumming was low in the mix, TH was definitely very unaudible. Btw, Nattens Madrigal>Transilvanian Hunger
Both are very good, I just prefer Nattens Madrigal more.
Nattens Madrigal 9/10
Transilvanian Hunger 8.5/10

The drum mix is fine on TH. Black metal is about guitars. The only part that is hard to hear is the snare, and that is because of how it is played rather than how it was mixed or miked. The snare comes through clearly on fills. When I've recorded my drums, I've noticed that the snare just is not going to pop during blastbeats unless you use triggers or a drum mic mixed high with no clipping. It's just not possible to bring out volume unless you hit rimshots every time. Snare drum does not need to be high anyway. Since it is played on the upbeat, it works against melodies that are as straightforward as those on TH, and it would just be distracting to have a punchy, loud snare sound.

I can barely hear the drums on Transilvanian Hunger. And I thought Ulver's Nattens Madrigals's drumming was low in the mix, TH was definitely very unaudible. Btw, Nattens Madrigal>Transilvanian Hunger
Both are very good, I just prefer Nattens Madrigal more.
Nattens Madrigal 9/10
Transilvanian Hunger 8.5/10

:err: I can hear the drums fine on Transilvanian Hunger and Nattens Madrigal.

Speaking of Darkthrone, I need to grab A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon.