Black Metal.

How coincidental that you guys were having a conversation about Transilvanian Hunger, on the day I decided to buy the album :)

This is my first listen of the CD (and my first listen of Darkthrone, actually) and I really, really like it. I really appreciate the raw production on this album. The atmosphere it creates is completely unlike any other album I own. I don't think that good production is essential to good music and this album definitely proves that (at least to me).

I'm really enjoying the minimalism in the music itself, too. The effect is chilling, as it should be.

It's a tricky formula. You have to right good riffs and melodies to be effective in repetition with raw production. This works for most of TH, but you do notice a handful of not-so-good riffs can get tedious ("As Flittermice As Satans Spys", for example).

How coincidental that you guys were having a conversation about Transilvanian Hunger, on the day I decided to buy the album :)

This is my first listen of the CD (and my first listen of Darkthrone, actually) and I really, really like it. I really appreciate the raw production on this album. The atmosphere it creates is completely unlike any other album I own. I don't think that good production is essential to good music and this album definitely proves that (at least to me).

I'm really enjoying the minimalism in the music itself, too. The effect is chilling, as it should be.

On the subject of good versus bad production I think Darkthrone has good production since it adds to the atmosphere and the songs. Good production doesnt always mean crystal clear production. A good production is something that brings forth the best in the music. Nothing more, nothing less :)

It's a tricky formula. You have to right good riffs and melodies to be effective in repetition with raw production. This works for most of TH, but you do notice a handful of not-so-good riffs can get tedious ("As Flittermice As Satans Spys", for example).

I rather enjoy the intense melodies of that song. I get this whole plethora of emotions from it, from turmoil to rage to... bah, something in between. Definitely one of the more challenging songs on the album.

I rather enjoy the intense melodies of that song. I get this whole plethora of emotions from it, from turmoil to rage to... bah, something in between. Definitely one of the more challenging songs on the album.
The song is so hypnotic that it's really easy to not hear the 2nd guitar work and bass work, which are probably more fully realized here than anywhere else on the album. There's even a quasi- guitar solo near the 5 minute mark. This is an all-time great BM song and probably one of the earliest examples of dissonant BM that would see greater exploration 10 years later.

So what's everyone's favorite Bathory album? I'm going to get me a Bathory album sometime, possibly Under The Sign of The Black Mark or Blood Fire Death.