Black Metal.

I guess it's not really that inaccessible. I liked it before, but it never really stood out, flashes here and there, but now it really seems to have gelled with me. Holocaust is probably a good place to start.

That's what I have, and it's great. I hear that Blazing Flames of War is his best, no?

holocaust was way more acclaimed than blazing i thought, in fact rym suggests holocaust is the best of the lot by a long shot. might give it a go, i haven't really enjoyed listening to countess for a few years now. of the ones i've heard i suspect 'shining swords' stands up best, strange album that one

^ really miss Valfar vocally on that album imo, and I think Windir sounded best on it's grittier albums(arntor/likferd--not 1184 or Sok) and I think Cor is to clean to get it off perfectly.

Countess' albums in order of quality (excluding The Gospel Of The Horned One and The Shining Swords Of Hate, given their position as anomalies in the band's discography, which I will address later):

Ad Maiorem Sathanae Gloriam
The Return Of The Horned One
Heilig Vuur
Blazing Flames Of War
The Book Of The Heretic (this would rank much higher if not for the production)
The Revenge Of The Horned One Pt. I
Spawn Of Steel
The Revenge Of The Horned One Pt. II
Holocaust Of The God Believers

The Gospel Of The Horned One is partly a relic of the band's history prior to Orlok joining the band, so it is not entirely identifiable as Countess album purely by sound. I personally love the album, but quite frankly, every aspect of the album is bad, right down to the songwriting. The musicianship and production are pretty much laughable, and some songs seem to share too many similarities, but I still love it. Definitely not for everyone at all.

The Shining Swords Of Hate was Orlok's attempt to reconnect himself with early Countess material, to try to recapture the sounds that originally made him want to be a part of the band. While The Gospel... and Shining Swords... are not particularly comparable in terms of sound, they're quite similar in atmosphere. Orlok himself has described these two albums, along with Dawnfall's full-length, as the three worst albums ever made, and he's quite proud of that. For most people, this album tends to be love or hate, but I find myself somewhere in the middle. I certainly don't play it very often though. I find that it drones on a bit too long at times.

Hello I am new here and wanted to list a few black metal bands that I enjoy
Arkona - Poland
Moontower
Paysage D'Hiver
Darkspace
Veles
Graveland
Beherit
the ambiance of Vinterriket
Ect.. have a long list but start from their

Well, for nature check out Hate Forest or Wolves In The Throne Room. If you like Peste Noire than you might like Blut Aus Nord, whom are French and on the stranger side. Sombre Chemin is also very good. You might dig Urfaust, though not from France. Celetia is worth name dropping also.

Are you looking for stranger sounding BM?

I've got those first 3 Alter, but I'll look into the others, thanks.

Yeah I'm looking for strange bm, anything different or unique(in a good way)

Furze is very, very fucked up. Wrath Of The Weak, Vrolok, Emit, Ithdabquth Qliphoth, Katharsis, Gnaw Their Tongues and Silencer are all fucked up and worth checking out.

Wedard is good for forest style BM. Though not overtly strange or forest styled BM, Velvet Cacoon might interest you.

What else do you like from the genre?

their are a lot of different bands such as
Naglfar
Nargaroth
NAV
Old Wainds
Nordlicht
North - Poland
Odor Mortis
Ohtar
Old Legacy
Pagan Fire