Black Metal.

skagosast.jpg

So everybody needs to check out Ast by Skagos. The one review of it on MA gave it a 100%, which I thought was bold, but after having listened to the first couple of tracks, I must agree it is a pretty amazing album. Definitely a solid contender in the midst of other great albums released this year

http://www.myspace.com/skagos

Yeah I already heard the myspace tracks too. Album on the way.

I hope he's not really paralyzed.:cry:

He's not. I think the wheelchair is supposed to serve as a sort of inverted metaphor...the wheelchair being reminiscent of a throne, suggesting the concept of 'grandiosity in depravity' or something to that effect. I think it's a pretty fitting representation of the aesthetics of the type of music that he and other suicidal-type BM bands play.

(also, the mangy-looking "mut" could be seen as a "trashy" version of the whole "wolves guarding the throne" imagery.

He's not. I think the wheelchair is supposed to serve as a sort of inverted metaphor...the wheelchair being reminiscent of a throne, suggesting the concept of 'grandiosity in depravity' or something to that effect. I think it's a pretty fitting representation of the aesthetics of the type of music that he and other suicidal-type BM bands play.

(also, the mangy-looking "mut" could be seen as a "trashy" version of the whole "wolves guarding the throne" imagery.

Suicidal is not the word. Decadence and debauchery would be a more proper stance at describing his music and the imagery that we wishes to make. I think he trying to explain that he and his music is still "dead" or broken, seeing that the music of that albums comes from a pretty long break from releasing material.

People who believe Marduk sucks and/or produce only generic blastbeast crap are ignorant. Marduk used to be a melodic black metal band back in days and they produced at least 3 masterpieces: Those of the Unlight, Opus Nocturne and Nightwing. That's why they're still popular these days. Give those a chance.

So I'm ignorant because Marduk are generic? In this case, ignorance is bliss for me. But maybe I should change my mind since they are so popular, right? :rolleyes:

@unknown: I agree with you on Skagos. A friend sent me a link to that material a couple of days ago and I was totally blown away. Everyone needs to hear this band.

what are good black metal albums that are coming out this year?

Zemial
Agatus
Drudkh
Countess

is all i can think of.

Don't forget the Weapon full length that should be released fairly soon. I think you even mentioned them a few pages back.

Is the new Zemial material you're speaking of the EP Hells Headbangers announced a few months back, or is this a whole new full length?

I think that Inquisitors of Satan is Deathspell Omega's best full-length album. I haven't heard either of the Manifestations compilations yet, so I can't speak on the quality of the music, but they're probably really good.

What the hell? No it's not. SMRC is much better than anything by Hirilorn. Hirilorn does rule, though, and I can't wait for those re-releases. SMRC just happens to be one of my favorite black metal albums.

Legends of Evil and Eternal Death is a fantastic and unique blend of melodic guitar work, ferocious vocals and epic passages. Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice has a lot of filler if you ask me, although it does have enjoyable individual songs. It would probably be a much better album if it was only about 45 minutes and they got rid of the more boring tracks.

Legends of Evil and Eternal Death is what i call a perfect album in every way. SMRC is a great album but i wouldn't say it is perfect. It's indeed unique and has inspired many copycats, but Legends of evil and eternal death is a much stronger album imo.

I just totally disagree with you. I really like Legends of Evil and Eternal Death, it's really pleasant and nice, but all four songs have a similar structure and are all focused on similar things, and it tends to get a little too melodic for its own good here and there. I guess you'd call this consistent, though, and you'd be right; but, I think SMRC really succeeds in its (what you would call) inconsistency. The flow of the album is extremely strong, every track other than the intros is totally memorable, and if you're following with the extremely awesome booklet, even the intros pack a trance-inducing punch. I think SMRC is an album you can't judge based on individual songs; it's much more of an "album" album. And to me, it's a totally essential future-classic, which Hirilorn's album won't be considered (good as it may be).

@unknown: I agree with you on Skagos. A friend sent me a link to that material a couple of days ago and I was totally blown away. Everyone needs to hear this band.

yeah I found it on one of the metal blogs I frequent and had to check it out. I hope there will be a cd version released at some point

@ Alter: it isn't drifty suicidal black metal at all...in fact, suicidal bm didn't even come to my mind when I listened. If you check out that myspace link I posted, the first song on the player is on the album

Legends of Evil and Eternal Death is a fantastic and unique blend of melodic guitar work, ferocious vocals and epic passages. Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice has a lot of filler if you ask me, although it does have enjoyable individual songs. It would probably be a much better album if it was only about 45 minutes and they got rid of the more boring tracks.
I agree with that assessment of SMRC. I think it loses steam after about the 5th song. The title track and Hetoimasia are not so special, and Carnal Malefactor is too long and redundant.

Zeph is crazy for liking IB better. It's very average and doesn't do a single thing better than IoS. Manifestations 1 has good songs indeed, but some of them feel a bit too long, and the flow is choppy, as is to be expected. Manifestations 2 was disappointing, and I get the feeling it was shelved for that reason. It's clearly the lesser material of the early style.