Black Metal.

Thoughts from night two of Matchitehew Assembly:

Bone Awl stole the show. Just awesome. The only band to play an encore in the two days. Left everyone with very sore necks today, I imagine. Anyone with a chance to see this band should absolutely do so.

Maledicere was the biggest surprise. Despite being just a two-piece, and playing at about 8 pm, they ruled. They only have some tapes out there, but this is certainly a band to look out for. Kind of like Hate Forest, but benefited from a great drummer, and more rhythmic variation. The guitar tone was fantastic. Intense, aggressive black metal.

I felt pretty bad for Krieg. It was well after 2 am when they began their set, and a big chunk of the crowd had left after Bone Awl. It was very late, and those who did stay were either tired out from Bone Awl, or were just plain tired. They didn't take very much time to set up, understandably, and their sound was rather pedestrian and ordinary. Songs mainly came from the last two albums. It was not a real long set.

Apparently Rusted Shut, whoever that is, got into a fight amongst themselves. I wasn't real interested in whatever they were playing, or Air Conditioning, or Aborted Christ Childe. That was coffee break/social time for many. Some fight broke out outside, which was uncomfortable, since all sorts of things were going on that shouldn't have, and having the cops come by would have been rather bad.

Volahn and Ashdautus played back to back, and many people were not sure which band was which, since they shared a few band members. The latter band was pretty good. They had some DsO type dissonant stuff going on. These bands were 5th and 6th to last, and they each played about 40-45 minutes, which would explain why the event ran to 3.

Fuck, I forgot about this show. I would have loved to see Bone Awl and Krieg. I'll take it that they played pretty intense? What as the venue like?

Even though SW is not the height of originality, I hardly find it fair to peg the generic tag on him, especially due to CSM being a fun, pretty catchy and melodic album (with a funny/cool booklet layout to boot) which tends to kind of stand out among the legions of raw tr00grim "throwback" BM pretending it's from the mid-90s.

Thoughts from night two of Matchitehew Assembly:

Bone Awl stole the show. Just awesome. The only band to play an encore in the two days. Left everyone with very sore necks today, I imagine. Anyone with a chance to see this band should absolutely do so.

Maledicere was the biggest surprise. Despite being just a two-piece, and playing at about 8 pm, they ruled. They only have some tapes out there, but this is certainly a band to look out for. Kind of like Hate Forest, but benefited from a great drummer, and more rhythmic variation. The guitar tone was fantastic. Intense, aggressive black metal.

I felt pretty bad for Krieg. It was well after 2 am when they began their set, and a big chunk of the crowd had left after Bone Awl. It was very late, and those who did stay were either tired out from Bone Awl, or were just plain tired. They didn't take very much time to set up, understandably, and their sound was rather pedestrian and ordinary. Songs mainly came from the last two albums. It was not a real long set.

Apparently Rusted Shut, whoever that is, got into a fight amongst themselves. I wasn't real interested in whatever they were playing, or Air Conditioning, or Aborted Christ Childe. That was coffee break/social time for many. Some fight broke out outside, which was uncomfortable, since all sorts of things were going on that shouldn't have, and having the cops come by would have been rather bad.

Volahn and Ashdautus played back to back, and many people were not sure which band was which, since they shared a few band members. The latter band was pretty good. They had some DsO type dissonant stuff going on. These bands were 5th and 6th to last, and they each played about 40-45 minutes, which would explain why the event ran to 3.

The second band was Ashdautas, who played a 5 min song and one 25 min one from an unreleased split with Bone Awl and the first one was Volahn.

Anyways nice summary of the event, I had a good time and helped out at the Velnias merch table a bit, and they got me some pizza. The Ashdautas vocalist told me and my friend about how they had signed the contract to be on Southern Lord, but then at a Sunn show he went up to Greg and said "You guys use Marshall amps right?" and he just said "No, we use Sunn amps, asshole." And then the contract ended getting ripped up.

Aborted Christ Childe was amusing but a bit of a waste of time, and I didn't bother watching Rusted Shut but I heard all about what happened. Bone Awl was definitely the best and I also feel bad for Krieg, there performance was okay but they obviously weren't at their best. Wormsblood was also really cool.

Btw how is the Maldicere tape? I enjoyed them, but I didn't see that there was the tape.

The Ashdautas vocalist told me and my friend about how they had signed the contract to be on Southern Lord, but then at a Sunn show he went up to Greg and said "You guys use Marshall amps right?" and he just said "No, we use Sunn amps, asshole." And then the contract ended getting ripped up.

:lol:

:lol: Yeah, Greg is an asshole, from the one time I talked to him for 45 seconds and intervies I have read and seen. But that is truly funny.

Yeah, he talked about how both of the Sunn guys are assholes, and that a lot of the people in the California metal scene are stupid hipsters and so on.

Yeah, I got Greg to do an interview for my school newspaper about vinyl records, which I can post if anyone wants me to. I asked him why they released Dømkirke only on vinyl and what the idea behind it was, he said, "Because we wanted to." Like really, that is obvious and can you please expand a bit as to not offer iton multiple releases like your last few fucking releases. I got him to talk a bit more but it was nothing great.

Haha I just read an interview with Bone Awl today that had a similar question, but it was about what the point of limited releases are and so on. In there case its just because theres a limited pool of buyers/listeners but obviously with Sunn its a bit different, hehe.

Anyways it'd be great if you would post the interview, its cool that he did it at least.

Btw how is the Maldicere tape? I enjoyed them, but I didn't see that there was the tape.
Pretty awesome. Really, really good demo. I wish I had picked up all of their tapes. There were more than what's listed on Metal Archives. Really excited to see what this band does next.

Fuck, I forgot about this show. I would have loved to see Bone Awl and Krieg. I'll take it that they played pretty intense? What as the venue like?
The venue was an art gallery. Acoustics were not particularly great. It was extremely lax regarding alcohol, so people just brought in cases of beer, which was nice. Also, I really don't think shows are supposed to go until 3 a.m. in a residential neighborhood. I think the good thing about Bone Awl was that you can't possibly be as raw live as you can on a recording, so things came across more clearly, really bringing out the strong melody in their stuff. Good pit, lots of headbanging. People were too worn out by the time Krieg went on for much of that. It was still good to see them, but I can't imagine a band can put their best show on after 2 a.m.

Sounds pretty much exactly like shows I've booked, also at art galleries. I just tell people to bring whatever beer they want...haven't booked a show in a while though, and haven't really recorded or been active in like 9 months anyway. Oh well. Was fun at the time...back to reality, I'll probably be seeing Volahn/Ashdautas/Bone Awl next Monday with my friend.

Sounds pretty much exactly like shows I've booked, also at art galleries. I just tell people to bring whatever beer they want...haven't booked a show in a while though, and haven't really recorded or been active in like 9 months anyway. Oh well. Was fun at the time...back to reality, I'll probably be seeing Volahn/Ashdautas/Bone Awl next Monday with my friend.

Yeah, you should definitely go, I wish I could see them again lol.

Pretty awesome. Really, really good demo. I wish I had picked up all of their tapes. There were more than what's listed on Metal Archives. Really excited to see what this band does next.

Could you maybe rip it to PC some how? I haven't their stuff anywhere :S If you want I could upload the Worship Black Twilight thing which is also pretty damn good.

I'm interested to hear you back up this statement.

Yes, he rips off Mayhem's Deathcrush on hmmm :-? which song was that I think True Blackness or something, Ghoul on 666, Absurd's Werwolf, Emperor's My Empire's Doom, Beherit's Nocturnal Evil and probably many more my feeble memory couldn't tell.

Leave the hall.
You leave the hall for not hearing even the blatant Deathcrush ripoff.

Yes, he rips off Mayhem's Deathcrush on hmmm :-? which song was that I think True Blackness or something, Ghoul on 666, Absurd's Werwolf, Emperor's My Empire's Doom, Beherit's Nocturnal Evil and probably many more my feeble memory couldn't tell.

You leave the hall for not hearing even the blatant Deathcrush ripoff.

You could leave for not realizing that 62% of black metal in this style rip of Mayhem, Burzum, or Darkthrone at some point. Maybe he never even heard Deathcrush? EH? HUH!?

Indeed. It's just simply an epic recording. Perhaps the only album that a murderer and his victim play together.

EDIT: As well as the Burzum self-titled.