Black Metal.

Anyone here really into Samael? I know they're not pure black metal. More like melodic black metal w/ keyboards, but i still think they kick ass. I love Baphomet's Throne off of Ceremony of Opposites. The short intro is so fucking awesome. Just wonderin if anyone else likes them as much as i do and similar bands would be appreciated.
Haven't heard them. Good to see another Absu fan here though.:)

I only have Ceremony of Opposites by Samael. I got it some 11 years ago or something. It's good, but far from typical, black metal. There seems to be a huge trad/heavy metal influence in the music on that particular album.

Early Samael is pure Black Metal. :|

Worship Him and Blood Ritual outclass most Black Metal coming out these days by leagues.

I know. I dont own Worship Him, but i have Blood Ritual and i love it. I still think Passage and Ceremony of Opposites are better, and both of them are not pure black. The post was aimed more at later Samael, sorry for not specifying.

Haven't heard them. Good to see another Absu fan here though.:)

Absu fucking rules. Check out Samael though. Definitely slower and more melodic, but their fucking cool.

I MUST ask this question, as for some reason I doubt this band has been mentioned in this thread;

Has anyone, ANYONE at all heard of the band, Mactätus??? I recently re-discovered them as I have been GETTING more into Black Metal again...moreso than ever, it seems. But yeah, BRILLIANT band and I can't believe I forgot how amazing they are. Features some female vocals, as well, to great minimalistic effect. Strongly recommended.

Sleepless Souls

...one of the greatest black metal songs I have ever heard, off the Provenance of Cruelty album. Incredibly phenomenal and powerful stuff.

Earlier Samael > later Samael ffr

Also Anael, Holy Death and Xantotol ftw

:kickass:

Didn't see many talk about those bands around here, great music(except Holy Death.. don't know them). And yes, early Samael are way better than most of the black metal is worshiped on these forums.

Um, Blizzard Beasts in awesome and you should listen to it.

That is all.

The production really throws me off and i'm not really picky about sound these days and also don't find the album musically as interesting as any other Immortal albums. I will give the album a few more spins just incase.

Does anyone know if the band Gehenna is any good and if so where to start.

Didn't you post that before? Or was that someplace else? Regardless it's a nice read for anyone interested.

I did? o_O I thought I posted a different one...

People: Thoughts on Absurd? The earlier material is VERY punk of course, but I find the later material to be a mesmerising balance of punk within Black Metal. A truly marvelous execution, quite unique indeed.

Thoughts? I'd like you know your opinions.

The production really throws me off and i'm not really picky about sound these days and also don't find the album musically as interesting as any other Immortal albums. I will give the album a few more spins just incase.

Does anyone know if the band Gehenna is any good and if so where to start.
I like Gehenna, they're good from the song I heard on Black Metal Radio from them.

Anyone here really into Samael? I know they're not pure black metal. More like melodic black metal w/ keyboards, but i still think they kick ass. I love Baphomet's Throne off of Ceremony of Opposites. The short intro is so fucking awesome. Just wonderin if anyone else likes them as much as i do and similar bands would be appreciated.

I like Samael, especially their middle period stuff. Ceremony, Passage and Eternal are some fine post-black metal. I'm just getting into their earlier stuff and it's pretty good. I haven't heard their latest couple albums but I'm afraid they have progressed too far from black metal for my tastes.

I did? o_O I thought I posted a different one...

People: Thoughts on Absurd? The earlier material is VERY punk of course, but I find the later material to be a mesmerising balance of punk within Black Metal. A truly marvelous execution, quite unique indeed.

Thoughts? I'd like you know your opinions.

Thuringian Pagan Madness through to Asgardsrei is utterly brilliant material. The raw emotion and spirit, particularly on Facta Loquuntur and songs such as 'Germanien über Alles', is undeniably powerful and genuine. Werwolfthron has some quality tracks, but the atmosphere and spirit is all but gone, and without Sebastian's evocative clean vocals, it just isn't the same band. It's certainly not bad material, but as a certain reviewer on M-A put it, it's basically a cash grab at the expense of legends.

So far I like:

Absu
Admonish
Akercocke
Alcest
Amesoeurs
Antestor
Apostasia
Arcturus
Avec Tristesse
Bal-Sagoth
Belenos
Burzum
Ceremonial Castings
Crimson Moonlight
Deathspell Omega
Diabolical Masquerade
Enochian Crescent
Enslaved
Epheles
Evroklidon
The Firstborn
Grand Alchemist
Graveland
Immortal
Kestmorg
The Legion
Limbonic Art
Luna Ad Noctum
Lux Occulta
Melechesh
Mirrorthrone
Natan
Necromantia
Nokturnal Mortem
Peste Noir
Profanum
Ruins
Shadows of Paragon
Slechtvalk
Summoning
Sykdom
Tvangeste
Ulver
Vesania
Wolve in the Throne Room

I haven't checked out a lot of black metal bands since I mostly like death metal, but I'm still working on it. I'd say this is a pretty good start, though.