Black Metal.

I just don't get tired of the stuff. Not too fond of mixes with thrash and death, and I had to accustom myself to folk/black. Ambience pleases me, and symphonics when done well enough. Many real great bands've been posted here already. :)

My top favourites are like:
Summoning, Limbonic Art, Dornenreich, Ikuinen Kaamos (as far as they count), Nazgul, Vinterriket, Darkspace, Troll, Kroda, Isengard, Vardøger.

I just don't get tired of the stuff. Not too fond of mixes with thrash and death, and I had to accustom myself to folk/black. Ambience pleases me, and symphonics when done well enough. Many real great bands've been posted here already. :)

My top favourites are like:
Summoning, Limbonic Art, Dornenreich, Ikuinen Kaamos (as far as they count), Nazgul, Vinterriket, Darkspace, Troll, Kroda, Isengard, Vardøger.

:eek: Owen :D

Yes, I like black metal just as much as death metal. Emperor, Nokturnal Mortum, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Absu, Leviathan, Xasthur, 1349, Dark Funeral, and Marduk are my favorite black metal bands I listen to. Black metal and death metal are my 2 favorite subgenres of metal.

There's not enough black metal discussion on this forum.

The last releases I bought were Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve and Hate Forest - Nietzscheism. I love the atmosphere in VC. I'll have to turn off all the lights and play through that tonight.

I'll be shopping in a few days so I'll have to take some notes here.

Some releases that I highly recommend:
Deathspell Omega - Kenose
Xasthur/Leviathan - Split
Nortt/Xasthur - Split
Nachtmystium - Instinct: Decay
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil

^ Nice haul there, but instead of the Nortt/Xasthur Split, I'd grab:

- Nortt: Ligfærd
- Xasthur: Violating The Oblivious

... that's if you don't already have them of course!

EDIT: I am badly after the first two Nortt demos. I know they've been deleted some time ago... unless anyone knows of somewhere where I can still get these mCD's?There's definitely a number of us here who love Black Metal.

... so why do we cop so much shit for liking it? (I've noticed that on various forums throughout UM that once someone admits they love Black Metal, they become a target of sorts).

I believe you can still get the Nortt demos from the ANUS download forum. They were up there earlier. I doubt you can buy them. I've never gone out of my way to purchase any Nortt material, as I do most of my shopping at a local store.

I'm thinking of picking up the new Xasthur mcd and Negura Bunget - OM, as it's getting a lot of praise. I don't have that many 2006 releases anyway at this point. I've heard all the Xasthur full-lengths, but some of the splits and early recordings are tough to track down. Telepathic With the Deceased is probably my favorite. I hear rumblings that the new Xasthur is where there's finally going to be significant changes. Expect to hear live drums this time around. Malefic finally bought a drumset!

Watch out for the new Leviathan album coming up in the spring. Some people claim it's the best one yet.

On the above post, I've noticed the Opeth forum especially is rather devoid of BM fans. It's a large community, but a lot of people dismiss BM entirely. It's too bad that when some people hear "black metal" they think Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, and Dark Funeral. People seem to be entirely ignorant of the Eastern European and US scenes. Although bands like Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, and Xasthur seem to be almost universally known these days.

I believe you can still get the Nortt demos from the ANUS download forum.

I have the entire discography, but I really wanted to buy those first 3 demos. Well I guess the best we can hope for is that they get reissued.

On the above post, I've noticed the Opeth forum especially is rather devoid of BM fans. It's a large community, but a lot of people dismiss BM entirely. It's too bad that when some people hear "black metal" they think Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, and Dark Funeral. People seem to be entirely ignorant of the Eastern European and US scenes. Although bands like Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, and Xasthur seem to be almost universally known these days.

Agreed. Eastern EU is leading the way these days imo, followed by some of the more minimal styles the US seems to be producing these days.

In general, excluding a small number of people, the Opeth forum is generally starved of Black Metal fans. The majority of them follow anything Akerfeldt mentions anyway.

Any black metal fans on the Opeth forum just like Enslaved, for the most part.

Yes, you're right there mate. Well, their loss I guess. **shrugs**

Negura Bunget - OM, as it's getting a lot of praise.

I beg you - buy this album if you buy no other ever again. It is a stunning piece of work.

Of note to all: fans of Drudkh will appreciate Thunderkraft, which features members of Drudkh and Nokturnal Mortum among other bands.

Thunderkraft is more so death metal (for some reason they label themselves "deathcore"), but has a distinctly Eastern European Black Metal personality to it as well as NSBM characteristics (they are listed at The Pagan Front) and also Eastern Folk.

Structurally it is far from your average Death Metal, quite unusual, and in places utilising Eastern scales. Extremely cold & crisp production with occasional flutes and sweeping keys.

Highly recommended.

thunderkraft05cd.jpg

THUNDERKRAFT. Official web site.

I don't evben have any Xastur or Nokturnal Mortum sadly, I haven't found them in FYE or Tower Records, I'm going to have to shop on Amazon for some.

While there are a handful of BM bands I got into when I was first being exposed to underground metal (Mayhem, Enslaved, Emperor, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Darkthrone), it is a genre I've largely ignored over the years, at least compared to, say, death metal or doom.

Many of the aforementioned bands became quite musically ambitious over time or just stuck to doing one thing really well, and it seemed like every other band I was hearing was merely an unnecessary extension of those principles. Not that you couldn't make that argument for countless other styles of music, but I guess I was often just looking in the wrong places. Also, some of the more recently prolific names in BM generally underwhelm me, so I've had to root around a bit more to find what suits me. But what I have unearthed (both classics and newer bands) have become some of my favorite records:

Ulver - Bergtatt
Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
1349 - Beyond the Apocalypse
Mutiilation - Majestas Leprosus
Nachtmystium - s/t
Crebain/Leviathan split
Emperor - Anthems...
Craft - Terror Propaganda
Diabolical Masquerade - Phantom Lodge
Nargaroth - Geliebte des Regens
Nokturnal Mortum - NeChrist
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves

I personally love black metal, my favourite bands probably being Impaled Nazerene, Antaeus and Behexen. Does anyone know some good bands like Behexen as I've been really into them lately yet can't seem to find many bands like them.

Sounds great, thanks!

As I've been saying lately, the new Peste Noire is very nice. I like the new Spleen better than the demo one, as well...

Anyone else like it?!

the new Peste Noire is fucking excellent. love it. Haven't checked out Spleen...I'll make a note to look into them

black metal ftw!
Angantyr, Alcest, Amesoeurs, Averse Sefira, Alkonost, Balrog, BATHORY, Belinus, Burzum, Code, Darkspace, Darkestrah, Dark Tribe, Deathspell Omega, Drudkh, Dub Buk, Fanisk, Geasa, Graveland, Hate Forest, Heol Telwen, I Shalt Become, Immortal, Krohm, Kvist, Leviathan, Lunaris, Manes, Master's Hammer, Mefisto, Mirrorthrone, Mortifera, Mysterium, Negura Bunget, Pagan Reign, Pestilential Shadows, Primordial, Sacramentum, Secrets of the Moon, Stiny Plamenu, Taake, Velimor, Vulpecula, Wolves in the Throne Room, Wigrid, Zarathustra

only to name a few *cough*. Definitely one of my favorite sub genres of metal. There's so much room for experimentation and diversity. It's really great.

the new Peste Noire is fucking excellent. love it. Haven't checked out Spleen...I'll make a note to look into them

That was in reference to the song Spleen (you should know that if you heard the album! psh!) which was re-recorded from their infamous demo Macabre Transcendance... for the new album.