Black Metal.

One black box can have rabid badgers inside it and another one can be filled like candy but they're both black boxes regardless of what they have inside.

The question is this: Because both black boxes are somewhat comparable, was one black box influenced by and based off of the other just because they're both black boxes?

According to your previous statement, it would be.

Oh, and pop rock isn't very comparable to folk music in terms of playing style.

What specific playing techniques are being employed in Alcest which really aren't seen frequently in popular music? And at this point it's not even saying that Alcest was influenced by pop (I still think it is but that argument is pointless), it's that regardless of where they came from, they're both black boxes and have deep and clear similarities for that very reason.

...the album reminds me a lot of 1960s French pop music which (the little I've heard) is great.

Since my parents speak french and they have a shitloads of old french albums on vinyls.... I must admit it's not great, music and lyrics could been written by a 10 years old....but it's just depressive as fuck and that suits the Alcest music even more.

^ The point being that Alcest aren't black metal, so why are talking about them (him...) in a bm thread. only clarifying 'cause you seem to have taken me literally.

Alcest once was black metal so I think talking about them is marginally acceptable; least more acceptable than talking about Morbid Angel here...

Since my parents speak french and they have a shitloads of old french albums on vinyls.... I must admit it's not great, music and lyrics could been written by a 10 years old....but it's just depressive as fuck and that suits the Alcest music even more.

I think the point of pop music escapes you a bit :p

What specific playing techniques are being employed in Alcest which really aren't seen frequently in popular music? And at this point it's not even saying that Alcest was influenced by pop (I still think it is but that argument is pointless), it's that regardless of where they came from, they're both black boxes and have deep and clear similarities for that very reason.

My argument being that while you can compare them, something I've acknowledged the entire time, one is not based off of the other. You implied that it was, hence my disagreement in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of pop music doesn't utilize the larger interval playing style and classical folk style of guitar playing that Alcest clearly displays, but maybe I somehow listened to the wrong pop music all these years. The only way they're really comparable is that they both have guitars.

Does anyone here think that Neo-classical influences could work well into Black metal? I think it kind of has before thought there are very very few examples, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Oh God, the classical elements in that album are some of the biggest piles of crap I've ever heard. I mean it's like they're purposely trying to make it sound like it was played on £20 keyboard. It's a real shame because there's a decent album in there somewhere.

yeah great example. the album "profanum aeturnum eminence of satanic imperial art" (1999) uses classical instruments and regular drums and black metal vocals. it is astounding and highly recommended. also good is "flowers of out black misanthropy" (1996) which is haunting and classically influenced, too but there's guitars and it's more black metallish. i like it even more.