books???

i put my cheap horror stories aside for a while :D and started to read yet another vampire story :lol:
but seriously, this saga (4 parts) seems to be far better written and heavier in content than the actual topic lets assume. a lot of interesting philosophical and political and religious questions lie between the lines (the vatican is spotted in a very different light, too), and the story itself is not of the boring and stereotypical "bite me" kind.
right now I am reading the second part, which plays mainly in Austria, Salzburg :eek:
what i noticed is, that the writer seems to take european countries not as single countries anymore but as states of the european union, like states of the United States.... that was odd to read for me in the beginning.
and: he also seems to have a detailed battle strategy and fighting plan and very good knowledge of salzburg, which makes me wonder how he could make up such a thorough plan of how and when troops are invading salzburg from munich, etc. :confused: those americans make and keep me suspicious even with fictional books....

Let's see..I just finished the Rhapsody trilogy, which was pretty spankin' good. Also been reading books by Modesitt and Roberson.

*must spend $25 gift card at Barnes and Noble*

no post in here for half a year *shakes head*
I read a lot of Swedish crime novels the last couple of months. Currently reading "Made In Sweden" by Torbjörn Flygt. Some story about a family life in the 70s/80s or something. Not that good so far.
And I ordered "Fotografens död" by Mankell. It's supposed to be written in easy-to-read-and-understand Swedish.....let's see if I will be able to "fight" my way through that one ;)

Gaunerin said:
no post in here for half a year *shakes head*
I read a lot of Swedish crime novels the last couple of months. Currently reading "Made In Sweden" by Torbjörn Flygt. Some story about a family life in the 70s/80s or something. Not that good so far.
And I ordered "Fotografens död" by Mankell. It's supposed to be written in easy-to-read-and-understand Swedish.....let's see if I will be able to "fight" my way through that one ;)
If i'm not mistaken the book of Torbjörn Flygt you are reading is called "Underdog" in swedish and it's reallly a cool book :) I read it in summer and it's one of the most pleasant books i've ever read... Torbjörn Flygt is an excellent user of the swedish language!! Hope you'll enjoy it!!!
I also read a lot swedish books :) and i'm currently reading Majgull Axelssons "Aprilhäxan".... started it today,but it looks interesting so far

If you dig Kerouac, try The Dharma Bums (quite possibly my favorite book). I liked it far better than On the Road.

Evolutionist/ Anthropology stuff = Ishmeal by ...Quinn, I think. A good book on how we're all fucked... not as pessimistic as my summary though.
The Moral Animal is a book that my Bio professor recommended to me. It's about human emotion and... well, morality, and how they're simply part of a stage in our evolution. I can't recall the author... and I havnt read it yet, but it sounds interesting.

Philosophy:
- any of Peter Kropotkin's writings on Anarchy. Good ol' Russian revolutionaries.
- Alan Watts has written many good books on Eastern Philosophy (Taoism and Zen in particular)

Misc.

Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins. The book vying for 1st place on my favorites list. Tom Robbins = Chuck P. cubed... like Henry Miller with better wit; raw funny stuff. :smile:

Anyone know of any good books about Viking history, culture, or the pre-Christian paganism in Europe?

Melancholia said:
If i'm not mistaken the book of Torbjörn Flygt you are reading is called "Underdog" in swedish and it's reallly a cool book :) I read it in summer and it's one of the most pleasant books i've ever read... Torbjörn Flygt is an excellent user of the swedish language!! Hope you'll enjoy it!!!
I also read a lot swedish books :) and i'm currently reading Majgull Axelssons "Aprilhäxan".... started it today,but it looks interesting so far
yep, that's the book. Maybe the German version isn't as good as the Swedish one but I'm not good enough to read such a book in Swedish (yet). I have to start with shorter and easier texts first.

reading a book by a Hungarian author, named Gyula Lugossy. his writing were always very impressing on me.... sometimes it feels like he sees into my mind and wrote down my thoughts... *weird*

Mocika said:
reading a book by a Hungarian author, named Gyula Lugossy. his writing were always very impressing on me.... sometimes it feels like he sees into my mind and wrote down my thoughts... *weird*
hm, it seems there's none of his books translated to German, heh? (or English for that matter..). I could hardly find anything about him, especially because all of the sites I found were Hungarian o_O (and you know how much I suck at Hungarian :D )

MetalMarianne said:
Just finished to read "Uthark" by Thomas Karlsson (german version) and started to translate it into spanish. I hope to have it ready in January.
Hehe, I have the english version of the book. :)

Actually I would be interested how you got to know about this book?
If you don't like to answer on this board you can always send a private message :)

MetalMarianne said:
Just finished to read "Uthark" by Thomas Karlsson (german version) and started to translate it into spanish. I hope to have it ready in January.

i've read that one as well, sort of interesting, but i think i will have to read it once more if i want to try any of it. will be after lords of chaos then i guess, anyone here who's read it? almost feels like a mandatory read for any fan of extreme metal :)

Melancholia said:

Underdog is great! :hotjump: Did you read it in Swedish, Melancholia? And aren't you from Greece? :guh: If so, then you must be very good at languages, because I can hardly read a book in English (which I've been teached in ten years now), and definitely not in any other language...

Melancholia said:

Underdog is great! :hotjump: Did you read it in Swedish, Melancholia? And aren't you from Greece? :guh: If so, then you must be very good at languages, because I can hardly read a book in English (which I've been teached in ten years now), and definitely not in any other language...

Now Reading: "Gentlemen" by Klas Östergren. In Swedish, but really great too.
I've recently read "Stupid white men, and other sorry excuses for the state of the nation" by Michael Moore also.