Chimaira leaked....

Why don't band just "label" their promo disc?

you know, just put a click on it when a song begins or something like that.. On every promo you send out... they should record one click or some noisy artifact on it, and per promo on a different timeframe on the disc, so they can tell who leaked it and fire his/her ass allready...

The fact that the record biz needs a kick in the ass notwithstanding, in the end those who DL to avoid buying the disc does undercut the band. Fans of bands who DL leaked material and still buy the disc are rare I'd bet. 99.9% of the world are casual music listeners, who would just as soon DL illegally and not allow the artist to make money.

For me, I just like the experience of checking out new music. Artwork, liner notes, lyrics, etc. are all part of the package for me. I think you can find enough free and legal places to preview music to let you know whether or not you wanna buy a disc. And, sometimes, it's cool to take a chance and find the rare gem. Above all that, I pretty much hate mp3's. I can't stand the compression. I really don't ever see myself as an Ipod owner. :)

downloading stuff that isnt really free is wrong period. in this case it hurts a great band, probably andy? jason and mark? and who knows who else. i want to hear that shit too(badly). but i can wait for the real thing. its a band i respect and like alot and have faith that the album will be sick and worth my money. id like to hear of one person who actually likes to be stolen from. anyone? didnt think so. i mean if andy does get points, its like talking about stealing from him on his own forum. thats pretty weak.

I'll admit it. I subcummed to the pressure and listened to a copy. The CD is fantastic and has only made me want to get it on release more. I was never a huge fun, got into them on their last CD but still liked Impossibility most ... this though - this is something else. Their original drummer is what makes the band in my eyes. There is just such a return to true form that just kicks you in the nuts. don't get me wrong, I love Kevin and what he did on the last CD - but it just wasn't the same.

Make sure you buy this! Regardless of if you DL or not. It's worth every cent.

there are 3 things on this album i liked, andols playing, the production and the samples.

the samples are very cool and there are lots of them thru out the album, much more than the previous albums... but there arent great songs like "impossiblity", but good parts only (OK, there are 3 good songs (average songs): "needle", "no reason to live" and "pleasure in pain") ... everything else is the same and boring and some riffs sounds cliché, no inspiring leads!

guitar sounds huge and andols is kicking asses!!

So how its getting a leaked album for free any more moral than shop lifting? Its not at least if you steal it from a shop it takes a bit more balls than a sneaky download.

Thanks to things like the itunes music store albums are not expensive any more. Better than that you can preview it before you buy it!!!
How would anyone here who has admited to stealing music feel if someone came into your work and stole from you? Better still if they went into your wallet and stole your cash? Pretty pissed off I think.

If you really like the band help keep them doing it and buy the album. Stores overheads blah blah blah. High import costs blah blah blah. None of these excuses really hold up when you can now download legally and cheaply. You could do what some of us used to do before the internet when an album came out we really wanted... Yeah we saved up a bit.

If you work in the music industry or are in a band who has a CD for sale then you really are just biting the hand that feeds you.

Rant over and no Im not Lars Ulrich but come on youve gotta see my point

I dont download records! Because I feld in love with amazon. I buy every month a couple of Cds and I always get them from USA or england for about 3-8euro.

Thats nothing my internet bill is higher:)

And all cds are new!!! So fuck downloading, when you like a band or want to support them buy the record.

One issue in the download vs CD argument that doesn't often come up is the audio quality aspect. I buy CD's simply because I want the fidelity that comes with it.

I earn a pretty good living so am in a position to buy them probably more than a lot or people, which I realise. I think it's pretty cheeky that people are expected to pay virtually the same price for 192/320kbps downloads compared to a superior sounding physical product that is less prone to be deleted by my girlfriend or sufffer a quick death in a hard drive crash. Mp3's just don't sound the same, so I buy the best quality media I can get.

I'll admit I am prone to the odd download if I don't really know the band as I don't always have access to preview stuff via streaming media and stick it on my mp3 player to listen to a few times before I decide to buy it or not. A market saturated with both good and awful bands makes it hard to tell the quality of the product and I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first (there's a million analagies that can be used for both sides of the argument). There's few bands I feel are worthy of a "buy on sight" policy.

I can't justify my actions at all other than by having a strict "buy or delete" policy after I've worked out whether I want to buy it or not. I also realise a lot of people don't have the same values though and bands (and labels, producers, etc) lose revenue as people don't buy the product, but I can only be responsible for what I do at the end of the day. I like supporting the bands I like so I have no problem paying for things I enjoy.

I also try and buy as direct from the source (e.g. the band's official website) as possible so I have a pretty good idea where my money is going. Piracy isn't just rife in terms of downloads. The amount of retail and online stores that sell pirated products is astounding, and none of this money ends up in the pockets of the artists, labels, producers, etc. I know for a fact that there is a store here in Dublin that is a franchise of a major chain that has been found guilty of this in the past. This type of behaviour also extends to software, DVD's and all of forms of content stored and distributed in physical digital media.....what you see isn't always what you get.

But as I said, I can't tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't do as I don't live like a monk myself...... I also shoplifted as a kid and feel guilty over stealing that Iron Maiden "7th Son" tour calendar :D

i dont know if i stated so well

pls i'm not giving you any motive/excuses (sry about my english)... all ive said is my opinion about the subject!

like I said before i buy albums of the bands i like (when i can afford it), i support the bands i like and bands of my city and country mainly, cuz it's where i live and those are the ppl who will buy my music (our scene is hard, i can tell you alot of stories about our underground scene). Even downloading leaked albums i'll buy (try) if i like the album... if it's the band i'm a huge fan i'll buy it for sure even being expensive! I admit that i dont buy thousand of albums but i do download thousand of albums, but i still buy albums and i pretty much prefer the real thing over mp3

Like others said, leaked albums is a good preview to see if the album is good before buying it

I play, i write, i record music and albums i've recorded leaked over the net and i couldnt do anything! sad? it is, but we cant do anything. if u support the things are right for you it's all good for you and them, ok, u dont download but others 10 ppl will and u cant stop it.

*edit* i'd like to add it: i prefer to pay $10 for a local band album than $20 for a mainstream band. the prices are just an example!

Massili, you're still trying to justify the idea that you are taking something without paying for it. Just because "10 other people will do it" doesn't justify you to do it.

I don't know, to me it's just like stealing...I think it's wrong, and no amount of justification will make it right in my eyes.

Just like with recording software...You can get the stuff for free (and take a chance on it having viruses), or you can get it the right way. Sometimes, if you know the right people, you can get stuff REALLY cheap anyway, at least here in the US...College students with access to software at their uni's can get stuff pretty cheap. I got my recording software from a music engineering student for pennies compared to the retail price. And, my WinXP Pro cost me a whopping 5 bucks.

Massili, you're still trying to justify the idea that you are taking something without paying for it. Just because "10 other people will do it" doesn't justify you to do it.

I don't know, to me it's just like stealing...I think it's wrong, and no amount of justification will make it right in my eyes.

Just like with recording software...You can get the stuff for free (and take a chance on it having viruses), or you can get it the right way. Sometimes, if you know the right people, you can get stuff REALLY cheap anyway, at least here in the US...College students with access to software at their uni's can get stuff pretty cheap. I got my recording software from a music engineering student for pennies compared to the retail price. And, my WinXP Pro cost me a whopping 5 bucks.

I totally agree. I bought all my software, every last bit. It meant I had to save pretty hard for some of it but at least Im legal!! Id love more as well but Im not touching it until I can buy it. If you want to know what its like read a review actually read a couple. If enough people are downloading music/ movies/ software for free then wheres the incentive for people to carry on making it?

Downloading music is crime that CANNOT be morally justified in any way. If you do it you are a thief like everybody else who steals stuff in stores, steals cars, etc. For me it makes no difference. If you cannot afford something you have to live without it. Do I steal the cool Universe in the next guitar shop because it is too expensive for me? NO! Does anyone steal a Ferrari because he cannot afford it legally? NO!

If in doubt about a band/cd I download music first as well and buy it afterwards if I like it. I admit it. I do it as well.
But the guys who try to make it look morally ok with ridiculous arguments (wow its so expensive I have the right to get it for free, etc.) make me :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

anyway, i respect your opinions and like how u guys think about it, i really do... but DO NOT call me a thief cuz i'm NOT ... the thieves are those ppl that spread the shit out there and if it's there for downloading for free i will, if i can/WANT to buy it i will no matter what the common sense means! I prefer pretty much to support independent/underground bands than the mainstream bands! that's it!

I'm not sure I want to get in the downloading debate...I just want to say this album sounds fucking amazing. This is some of the best-sounding stuff Sneap has done in a while.

the thieves are those ppl that spread the shit out there and if it's there for downloading for free i will

If they spread the stuff and NOBODY downloads it, NO harm is done to the artists or labels. With your reasoning it would be right to kill someone only because you are offered to do so and dont have to expect any penalty....

I prefer pretty much to support independent/underground bands than the mainstream bands! that's it!

That does not make it right to get albums from famous bands for free.

That said I understand your position and I can understand that the financial situation is QUITE different where you live. I also think it's okay, because you say you buy the records you like afterwards if you can/want.

My point is just that there is no reason ever that makes this right, because it is theft no matter how you put it....

If they spread the stuff and NOBODY downloads it, NO harm is done to the artists or labels. With your reasoning it would be right to kill someone only because you are offered to do so and dont have to expect any penalty....

That does not make it right to get albums from famous bands for free.

That said I understand your position and I can understand that the financial situation is QUITE different where you live. I also think it's okay, because you say you buy the records you like afterwards if you can/want.

My point is just that there is no reason ever that makes this right, because it is theft no matter how you put it....

Yup...And, I'll add to that, if you REALLY think that Chimaira and the other 90% of bands we talk about around here aretruly mainstream, you are delusional.

A band doesn't move from RR to Ferret because they are mainstream. Heck, most of RR's roster isn't even mainstream, save for Nickelbag.

GuitarMaestro, your right man! im not saying that what i do and others ppl here does too is right, obviously its not.... you know my point, i'm not saying that im a poor guy or "oh, poor guy, give it to him for free" i'm not begging, you know? cuz i buy cds as you noticied!

i dont agree with these leaked promo versions either and i really like the way that the most of ppl here think about it and are stating with your posts and respect it ALOT!!!

I dont know how ppl in your underground scene think about the independent bands/local bands but here they doesnt give a shit for you thing!!! they prefer to waste money drinking beers and the next day a fucking bad hangover and dont enjoy the show, the ppl surround him (who are having fun), and dont even fuck a pussy (lol) , they prefer that than buy your shit for a pretty cheap price and still think it's expensive (ie.: we pay $5 to make a final product and sell it for $10, in general "based on our currency" (prices are for the illustrative purpose only) , it's pretty much cheap, and probably there will no reward for the band, cuz you waste alot of money to put an independent album out there/here)...

that's why i prefer to support independent bands cuz i know how the things are...

you have to pay the recording sessions, the cover art, the dupplication, the graphic , the package (to send to mags, zines for reviewing it), postal services, etc, etc...and ppl doesnt give a shit for it, they doesnt have a clue how hard the things are for an underground band to stay alive... equipaments are expensive and then u have to travel to play alive, cuz the shows are the best way of showing who u are.... well...here it's hard and very different than your scene for sure!

anyway, dont see me as a bad guy who support the pirate industry cuz i dont, even knowing i'm wrong downloading leaked versions! i just wanted to put my opinion on the board!

aahhh, have you guys read rich ward letter at his band's site?

Yup...And, I'll add to that, if you REALLY think that Chimaira and the other 90% of bands we talk about around here aretruly mainstream, you are delusional.

A band doesn't move from RR to Ferret because they are mainstream. Heck, most of RR's roster isn't even mainstream, save for Nickelbag.

sry i meant mainstream in a general mode not a specific band... anyway i think it's very different the status between a RR band and an indepedent/local band! I Fully agree that RR arent sony and their cast bands arent big sellers (top, i mean) but there are huge differences for the underground!

sometimes i cant express me in a good way cuz i dont know certain english words!

anyway, dont see me as a bad guy who support the pirate industry cuz i dont, even knowing i'm wrong downloading leaked versions! i just wanted to put my opinion on the board!

I dont see you like that at all after reading your last posts. Rock on!:kickass: