COB start writing new album

sleeper666

MetalMutha
Jul 14, 2007
Suomi on mun kohtaloni
From the latest issue of Metal Hammer:

"With such a busy 12 months barely behind them, you'd forgive Children Of Bodom for wanting to take 2012 off and relax for a while. As bassist Henkka Blacksmith notes, that couldn't be further away from the actual plan. 'We had a new album out [in 2011] and then we had a big tour in the States, then Southeast Asia, Australia and South America,' he notes. 'It was good, but at the end of January we're starting again with another US tour! Then we'll have a full Euro summer tour, with club shows and festivals.'

And, when it comes to new COB material, we might not be waiting for as long as you'd think, for a band who only released a new album last year.

'After the summer, our initial plan is already to start writing new songs', Henkka reveals. 'Alexi is already writing, which is quite unusual for him - maybe he realised that we had quite a lot of time, so he thought he'd make it useful! So we thought, why not? And I'm really glad that we all agreed to spend more time on the writing process. We usually have about 5 months to write, but with a couple more months, we can really feel more confident.'"

Sounds early somehow, but not really... I've been thinking are they really gonna go thru the same shit this time, all the same touring after another new album, thinking they should start writing a new album NOW, cos RRF doesn't offer enough spice in my personal opinion. However, the most important thing is, when they start another album project, they do it with heart, return to their original theme, hire an artist/"Japanese vision guy" and make sure it's what it's supposed to be, cos they've strayed way too far from where they should be. However, I'm not gonna waste my energy on discussing it this time, after RRF was the opposite of what I was idealizing about for more than a year, same as the previous albums... it's all up to Alexi really, he should get interested in deeper stuff again and be proud mainly of his works FTR and HB. Cos if his mind and heart are set wrong it doesn't matter how much he has time. The thing is COB is a phenomena and you never know, next could be their last, and they still have lots of potential unused. It's time to get radical again, and not do the same album for the fifth consecutive time. Nothing stops them from experimenting, so why write all similar songs? In my personal view COB should be 1) Atmospheric death metal, 2) filled with darkness, anger, primitive rage and moods of depression, 3) the most skillful, creative and kung fu playing out there. But Alexi's gonna have to really, really get excited to reach this again...

Thank you very much for the information, Sleeper!
I wonder if it will change the final results, since the writing process is going to be longer.
More time to ponder about certain melodies or even lyrics can make it seriously a sick album, since RRF was a really good one made in less time.

'After the summer, our initial plan is already to start writing new songs', Henkka reveals. 'Alexi is already writing, which is quite unusual for him - maybe he realised that we had quite a lot of time, so he thought he'd make it useful! So we thought, why not? And I'm really glad that we all agreed to spend more time on the writing process. We usually have about 5 months to write, but with a couple more months, we can really feel more confident.'"

Thanks sleeper. Well, great news!!!
I think it`s a good decision to spend more time on the writing process.

Here's an idea: Why don't you just write their next album for them since you OBVIOUSLY know EXACTLY what they need to PLEASE YOU. Then you can get off listening to it all the time! Hell, maybe they'll even make a private recording for you so that you can be the only one with a copy! Because everyone knows that all forms of art have nothing to do with an individual expressing him or herself, it's all about pleasing the audience of one: Joonas. That is what you are saying right?

Seriously, you're a fucking douchebag but this post was kinda correct.

Sounds early somehow, but not really... I've been thinking are they really gonna go thru the same shit this time, all the same touring after another new album, thinking they should start writing a new album NOW, cos RRF doesn't offer enough spice in my personal opinion. However, the most important thing is, when they start another album project, they do it with heart, return to their original theme, hire an artist/"Japanese vision guy" and make sure it's what it's supposed to be, cos they've strayed way too far from where they should be. However, I'm not gonna waste my energy on discussing it this time, after RRF was the opposite of what I was idealizing about for more than a year, same as the previous albums... it's all up to Alexi really, he should get interested in deeper stuff again and be proud mainly of his works FTR and HB. Cos if his mind and heart are set wrong it doesn't matter how much he has time. The thing is COB is a phenomena and you never know, next could be their last, and they still have lots of potential unused. It's time to get radical again, and not do the same album for the fifth consecutive time. Nothing stops them from experimenting, so why write all similar songs? In my personal view COB should be 1) Atmospheric death metal, 2) filled with darkness, anger, primitive rage and moods of depression, 3) the most skillful, creative and kung fu playing out there. But Alexi's gonna have to really, really get excited to reach this again...

Seriously, call a doctor. I think you're a little insane, when you're really of the opinion that they're far from where they should be. Sounds like you know whats best for them (i.e. making the same record over and over again). Its good for you if you're still in love with the old style, but how can you say that they HAVE to make that kind music till the end? Damn have you ever played in a Band?

Here's an idea: Why don't you just write their next album for them since you OBVIOUSLY know EXACTLY what they need to PLEASE YOU. Then you can get off listening to it all the time! Hell, maybe they'll even make a private recording for you so that you can be the only one with a copy! Because everyone knows that all forms of art have nothing to do with an individual expressing him or herself, it's all about pleasing the audience of one: Joonas. That is what you are saying right?

since ur a recent member i bet you´re actually one of the members of the band (maybe janne or alexi) that are here just trolling

it would be awsome

Joonas no matter how much you complain nothing is going to change- they know what they are doing and their mission in life is totally not an album that especially YOU will enjoy. The only thing that may happen in Janne visiting the forum, writing the usual "Joonas you are an asshole" and leave. Nothing will happen if you complain more and more.
THANKS FOR SHARING SLEEPER THOSE NEWS ARE GREAT!!!! :D

I kind of have to agree with Jonas on this one. Althought there are genious riffs on both blooddrunk and reckless relentless forever, there are just too many generic trash riffs and progressive rythms that makes the songs weird. It's just too damn american sluggish trash death style garbage!
And Alexi is constantly ripping off pantera riffs, mostly on Are you dead yet?, but also on the newer albums (alexi kind of rips off alot of music that he likes in all albums).
Are you dead yet lacked a good guitar tone and good vocals, but was overall better than all the generic songs on BD and RRF.
Alexi just need to sit down, like he appetantly did/does and write while he can in the spare time, not push everything out all at once just a month before recording.
I dont want a new Hatebreeder or FTR, I just want the melodies to drive the songs, not just generic riffs and the vocals. This have been lacking severly since Hate Crew

The thing is COB is a phenomena and you never know, next could be their last, and they still have lots of potential unused.

Don't know whether Joonas is an asshole or not.At least,he hasn't given up for being called an asshole over the years.

IF CoB is a phenomena,then they had you.

A real cool one,and in a million.

I kind of have to agree with Jonas on this one. Althought there are genious riffs on both blooddrunk and reckless relentless forever, there are just too many generic trash riffs and progressive rythms that makes the songs weird. It's just too damn american sluggish trash death style garbage!
And Alexi is constantly ripping off pantera riffs, mostly on Are you dead yet?, but also on the newer albums (alexi kind of rips off alot of music that he likes in all albums).
Are you dead yet lacked a good guitar tone and good vocals, but was overall better than all the generic songs on BD and RRF.
Alexi just need to sit down, like he appetantly did/does and write while he can in the spare time, not push everything out all at once just a month before recording.
I dont want a new Hatebreeder or FTR, I just want the melodies to drive the songs, not just generic riffs and the vocals. This have been lacking severly since Hate Crew

i would like you to tell me exactly which riffs alexi ripped of pantera

joonas if you like ftr and hb so much listen them 24/7

Seriously, call a doctor. I think you're a little insane, when you're really of the opinion that they're far from where they should be. Sounds like you know whats best for them (i.e. making the same record over and over again). Its good for you if you're still in love with the old style, but how can you say that they HAVE to make that kind music till the end?

No no nooo! They're making the same record again and again since 2003. Before that they did more different albums. I'm just asking them to be great again instead of good, and I believe I have some good ideas. "What, neo-classical again?" No, just more atmosphere, if I have to culminate it into one term.

I'm so jealous of you (basically most of the _few_ fans left on this forum) who are as thrilled for the newer albums as I would be if they made another in the series of the green and blue album. Stfu and thank God everyday for that fortune. Actually I'm not favouring albums, I want the best elements of each of their seven albums combined, it just so happens 50% of that are in those two albums.

Damn have you ever played in a Band?

Yes, for one gig, but what would it change if I played in a band for ten years, my opinion?

I'm not lashing out or anything, COB is still my favourite band, no-one can ever match their releases even if they stopped a couple albums ago. But whatever you know, I'm not gonna waste energy and creativity babbling here all the time, don't worry.

i would like you to tell me exactly which riffs alexi ripped of pantera

joonas if you like ftr and hb so much listen them 24/7

The main riff of In your face is stolen from "use my third arm" by pantera and punch me i bleed main riff is stolen fron "hard lines, sunken cheeks" by pantera. Both song from "far beyond driven".

Althought there are genious riffs on both blooddrunk and reckless relentless forever, there are just too many generic trash riffs and progressive rythms that makes the songs weird. It's just too damn american sluggish trash death style garbage!

Blooddrunk is quite weak on the riff front. It's enjoyability derives from the keyboard ideas. The riffing is only about waiting for the next keyboard part. It's like the guitars are supporting the keyboards. That's the nature and salt of the album.

Technically you don't have to make anything super spectacular to come up with a very good song, it's all about the creativity. Why can't Alexi just relax, forget about progressing to something technically different playing-wise, and just focus in making something that sounds nice.

Now, I haven't calculated how many riffs and how many melodies are on each album, so some of this might be off the record, but it's the top of the head feeling.

I just want the melodies to drive the songs, not just generic riffs and the vocals. This have been lacking severly since Hate Crew

Listen to Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper albums, what you notice is the songs are ridden by an idea, they're ridden by atmospheric melodies and riffs and solos that actually blend together well - songs that keep changing and experimenting with crazy musicianship, yet never lose their oneness. Nowadays the difference is, you have chugga chugga thrash riffing sections, you have a separate nice keyboard melody, then around three mins it's time for the solo section which has nothing to do with the song and is just a pain in the ass cos it has to be there cos it's COB. You have some surprise moments (like the out of the blue melody on Tie My Rope) but most of them are just separate keyboard ideas that attack you from the dark (Banned from Heaven).

Alexi should at least open his heart and experiment again, steer it more towards lead guitar again instead of the riffs, make something that sounds 'epic', atmospheric and moody. You can disagree with this, I'm fine with it, it's just my personal views. It's time to compose some epic, atmospheric, energetic and heroic shit again and experiment, nothing's stopping them. I thought this before too but then they composed RRF and I realized they did the opposite. Maybe I should now start cheering them to compose more thrash shite cos it's so cool. Thanks for listening to me rant, I just wanted something to do while I eat. I'm in no position to judge this art, but it's my opinion as a long-time fan and maybe someone cares maybe not.

Joonas, you have some ideas for the album, contact them!! Seriously, do it!! I don't remember how, but everything is written @ their web page. Just go and write down some of your ideas- you won't loose anything :) Alexi is a pure musical talent and if your ideas are good they'll probably do something. If they refuses to use them- just post them here. Again, you won't loose anything. Send them something. :)

Joonas, you have some ideas for the album, contact them!! Seriously, do it!! I don't remember how, but everything is written @ their web page. Just go and write down some of your ideas- you won't loose anything :) Alexi is a pure musical talent and if your ideas are good they'll probably do something. If they refuses to use them- just post them here. Again, you won't loose anything. Send them something. :)

Maybe I'll make a thread before next Fall. I just want them to compose an album that's atmospheric and brutal and just epic as hell, instead of an album that has its "occasional great moments but apart from that only exists to piss off your neighbours." What needs to happen on paper is to get rid of the thrash riffing, replace that with creative/moody/atmospheric leads, riffs, keys and drums. But for that to happen, Alexi would have to change first.

Maybe I'll make a thread before next Fall just to piss some members off.

Basically, the interesting thing to myself is, RRF was not their most melodic album, not their most fast, most brutal, most dark, most heavy, most technical etc, and it doesn't even sound very interesting, yet they say it's their most best album. I just don't understand what it's trying to be if it's none of those things! You have the occasional great ideas, but the general material apart from those moments?

If I was the führer I'd tell them to make "the most atmospheric and epic Bodom album ever, with moods ranging from heroic moments of extasy to moments of ultimate anger and suffering." How is this achieved, thru thrash riffing and superficial melodies? No. Thru creative/moody/atmospheric melodies, riffs and keyboards? Yes.

That's why you should contact them :devil: You have ideas- we can see that so just go and type them something. Don't send Janne PMs- I bet he doesn't read them. If you don't want to contact them- make a new thread all full with ideas like lyrics/ melodies (if you can play an instrument) etc.
It won't be bad at all- people here will actually hear your ideas and riffs and it won't be bad at all. I would do it but now I'm stuck at home with students books all around me so I can't :cry::cry::cry:

The main riff of In your face is stolen from "use my third arm" by pantera and punch me i bleed main riff is stolen fron "hard lines, sunken cheeks" by pantera. Both song from "far beyond driven".

use my third arm is kinda unfair to say that, its in fact based on it but the way the songs go are totally different, the hard lines sunken cheeks i agree with you in the riff, wtf alexi?!