Controversial non-metal opinions

I used to love The Who as a kid, but ugh.... I just don't dig them anymore. There's a lot of good things about them; the proto-punk ferocity of their 60s material, the ineffable anthemia of their 70s material. The Who was even the first concert I went to. But they just seem really bland to me today. I'm really not even sure why. They just seem pretty straight-edged, they aren't sloppy like Zeppelin or raw like Peter Green.

Let's discuss the respective talents of these two rock guitar greats: Tony Iommi and Martin Barre.

Im similiar to Varis on this

Iommi was more up front and consistantly - "guitar in yer face"
Barre had his solo and riffage moments

Iommi was the music
Barre was an accompanyment

Iommi had a crap vocalist (which he took care of)
Barre had an amazing vocalist, theatrical showman, genious lyricist/writter to back up

Iommis acoustic stuff I have forgotten
Barre did alot of acoustic

Iommi had his progressive and somewhat diverse moments but mostly stayed one primary path
Barre was in a progressive hardrock/folk and twisted blues rock band... did I mention he had a genious partner ?

I will critisize Barre for one thing, his tone or perhaps rather his thin saturation. I had Aqualung in rotation all last week and when I hear it today I want to hear more crunch and less thinness in some of his distorted guitar work, more along the lines of Locomotive Breath. I'm aware of the "lesser" equipment available but still others had a phatter sound. Perhaps this was not in his control or to his/their flavor but I hear the music being better if he had a bit more bite. Thats just Aqualung and Anderson has expressed some displeasure in the recording sessions/outcome, so who knows.

Anderson could keep up too and then outshred most of the guitar players of that period... ON FLUTE! Was also quite a good acoustic guitar player... and genious

However as usual I refuse to pick a "better" player but I always did listen to Tull more often.

I used to love The Who as a kid, but ugh.... I just don't dig them anymore. There's a lot of good things about them; the proto-punk ferocity of their 60s material, the ineffable anthemia of their 70s material. The Who was even the first concert I went to. But they just seem really bland to me today. I'm really not even sure why. They just seem pretty straight-edged, they aren't sloppy like Zeppelin or raw like Peter Green.

They totally lost me with "Mommas got a Squeeze Box", that was the end of it right there. Still prior I had to pick and choose songs, most of which were their most popular songs. I used to think "Live at Leeds" was totally sick, which I guess it was at that time, very bombastic. The bands that hit the scene around 69/70 made the Whos version of hardrock sound old school and Townsend was totally smoked as a guitar player. That batch of drummers was better to listen to than the hyper drumming of Moon or Mitchell, my opinion of course.

"raw" would have worked for Zep as well... :)

Im similiar to Varis on this

Iommi was more up front and consistantly - "guitar in yer face"
Barre had his solo and riffage moments

Iommi was the music
Barre was an accompanyment

Iommi had a crap vocalist (which he took care of)
Barre had an amazing vocalist, theatrical showman, genious lyricist/writter to back up

Iommis acoustic stuff I have forgotten
Barre did alot of acoustic

Iommi had his progressive and somewhat diverse moments but mostly stayed one primary path
Barre was in a progressive hardrock/folk and twisted blues rock band... did I mention he had a genious partner ?

I will critisize Barre for one thing, his tone or perhaps rather his thin saturation. I had Aqualung in rotation all last week and when I hear it today I want to hear more crunch and less thinness in some of his distorted guitar work, more along the lines of Locomotive Breath. I'm aware of the "lesser" equipment available but still others had a phatter sound. Perhaps this was not in his control or to his/their flavor but I hear the music being better if he had a bit more bite. Thats just Aqualung and Anderson has expressed some displeasure in the recording sessions/outcome, so who knows.

Anderson could keep up too and then outshred most of the guitar players of that period... ON FLUTE! Was also quite a good acoustic guitar player... and genious

However as usual I refuse to pick a "better" player but I always did listen to Tull more often.

I agree with most of those assertions, but I actually love Barre's tone! Perhaps not as much on Aqualung, but when he shreds at the beginning of "Minstrel in the Gallery" I fucking love it. Such a raw, raucous sound.

Anderson was also a very talented guitar player (and musician in general). His acoustic work on their albums was impeccable, and watching him play live is impressive.

I didn't know that. I saw Tull live when I was very young, so I actually didn't respect them when I saw them (I didn't get into them until high school/college). I've seen some recorded videos of Anderson playing live though and he's spectacular. Very strange guy.

I didn't know that. I saw Tull live when I was very young, so I actually didn't respect them when I saw them (I didn't get into them until high school/college). I've seen some recorded videos of Anderson playing live though and he's spectacular. Very strange guy.

Your dad was a fan?I do remember that you got into them when you readed all the lyrics to Thick As A Brick.

I agree with most of those assertions, but I actually love Barre's tone! Perhaps not as much on Aqualung, but when he shreds at the beginning of "Minstrel in the Gallery" I fucking love it. Such a raw, raucous sound.

Anderson was also a very talented guitar player (and musician in general). His acoustic work on their albums was impeccable, and watching him play live is impressive.

I dont recall Minstrel in the Gallery, this was around the time I started to listen to alot of fusion. I barely recall War Child and To Old... but a friend had those so I know I heard them. SO I had a lapse period between Thick as a Brick and Songs from the Wood. Of those during that period is Minstral the one I should get first ? Im thinking yes for many reasons - I know I heard the other three - it sounds like it might be more progressive looking at the song list - it seems to recieve good praise - Im over due for some "new" music

Finally got my house stereo CD player fixed and a stylis for my turntable so at least I can spin Songs From the Wood again which I was quite attached to.

With you second comment about Ian's acoustic work Im wondering how much of the acoustic work Barre did ?

The Who kick ass.
Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia... stellar albums.

You think Quadrophenia is a solid album ? I havent been through the entire thing since it was new but the most of what stood out was the bass line on The Real Me and the epic feel of Love Reign over Me. It didnt keep my attention past the first few days. Perhpas it would do better today on mature ears.

Whos Next had more standouts but for me Going Mobile is a terrible song, similiar to Magic Bus and Squeeze Box with some degree of gayity that made them the kind of songs I didnt like but had to fight to keep them from playing in my head... run home quick and crank Halo of Flies or LZ II just to shut the nonsense off... LOL

Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon
the reason we dislike nickelback is because the music is utterly generic and bland. there is nothing remotely interesting going in their songs. same freaking chord patterns, same shitty vocals, just shit

Thoth-Amon 1
Ozzman/razoredge0

Well considering Thoth approves of Guns and Roses... which is fine but can find no merit in at least specific Nickleback songs I find to be a contradiction when they both fed the same kind of audience/listening demographic only seperated by 10 years.

But whatever... I'll take my three point net

Well considering Thoth approves of Guns and Roses... which is fine but can find no merit in at least specific Nickleback songs I find to be a contradiction when they both fed the same kind of audience/listening demographic only seperated by 10 years.

But whatever... I'll take my three point net

What audience/listening?